Thread: New car warranty question

My Cars
    330i

New car warranty question

Hello...I’m told that you now have to pay for a 3 year car warranty on a new car because not everything is covered.. is this true?... if yes isn’t covered and how much will it cost?
    Thank you,

My Cars
    New vehicle warranty on a BMW is 4 years/50k miles. That's standard. What has changed is the maintenance. You get 3 years/36k miles of "scheduled" maintenance. This covers oil changes, air filter, microfilter, vehicle check, and brake fluid flushes. Brakes and wipers are not included. You can pay extra to extend that warranty to 4 years/50k miles and to include brakes and wipers.

This change started with the 2017 model year.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Sounds like you have an extra greedy dealer. Or this thread may be bait for spammers offering extended warranties.

As the above poster noted, a warranty won't always cover maintenance items, although sometimes they're prepaid (particularly on luxury brands like BMW). But it will cover anything that isn't regular maintenance, unless there's a few very clearly spelled out exceptions - generally for accessories that aren't part of the car, such as some minivans coming with sets of headphones for the kids.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"