Thread: Radio stopping audio every 3 minutes or so

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38

Angry Radio stopping audio every 3 minutes or so

Hello everyone.
    With my 2001 E38, yesterday, the radio started freezing up on me. The screen would stay on but the audio would completely stop. All the buttons would become unresponsive while everything on screen remained up but frozen. If I hit the power button for the radio/stereo and turned it off and immediately turned it back on, the audio would continue... the song not having stopped. This occurred with both CD's in the changer as well as the Blue tooth audio playing from a radio transmitter plugged into the ashtray. Regardless of source, the audio would just stop coming out the speaker even though the audio track was still playing. Again if I hit off then on, the audio would continue for approximately 2 or 3 minutes then do it again.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks in advance,
    Tim
    2001 - Alpine White 740IL
    Old Sig - 1998 BMW 740IL Black on black, HID headlamps and HID fogs, CCFL Angel Eyes and custom screwdriver holding up window mod!!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    That's almost always the NAV unit in the trunk. There are dozens of threads on this if you do a search.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    That's almost always the NAV unit in the trunk. There are dozens of threads on this if you do a search.
    +1. It sure sounds like the Nav.
    I believe a 2001 came with a MKIII Nav. They (the MKIII Nav) has a tendency to have issues if power is removed from the nav before the red LED on front powers off (not allowing the nav to power down gracefully).
    Have you pulled the nav or removed the negative cable from the battery recently?
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    +1. It sure sounds like the Nav.
    I believe a 2001 came with a MKIII Nav. They (the MKIII Nav) has a tendency to have issues if power is removed from the nav before the red LED on front powers off (not allowing the nav to power down gracefully).
    Have you pulled the nav or removed the negative cable from the battery recently?
    Yes I unplugged the battery a few days ago as I was installing halo's and HID fogs.

I apologize for not being thorough with my search. However I didn't search on the MKIII Nav as the search. I will do that now. I appreciate you both MayorChuck & sealbeach740.
    Old Sig - 1998 BMW 740IL Black on black, HID headlamps and HID fogs, CCFL Angel Eyes and custom screwdriver holding up window mod!!

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    I read through the threads. Got a really good idea of what this is about. What is interesting is that I was in the car for about 50 minutes today, then like 20 minutes and it didn't do it at all. I am assuming it is going to be intermittent. Thanks for the info.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    If you do decide to replace the MKIII, consider going with a MKIV which isn't as sensitive to power being removed before the Nav powers down.
    It also can read DVD or CD maps, and is much quicker than a MKIII when doing routing/driving with the Nav.
    Nowadays I wouldn't think a MKIV would cost much more than a MKIII, but I haven't purchased a MKIV in quite a while, TBH.
    At least the R&R is really quite simple.
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    01 BMW Alpine White E38
    Quote Originally Posted by sealbeach740 View Post
    If you do decide to replace the MKIII, consider going with a MKIV which isn't as sensitive to power being removed before the Nav powers down.
    It also can read DVD or CD maps, and is much quicker than a MKIII when doing routing/driving with the Nav.
    Nowadays I wouldn't think a MKIV would cost much more than a MKIII, but I haven't purchased a MKIV in quite a while, TBH.
    At least the R&R is really quite simple.
    Excellent, thanks for the heads up! I will either do MKIV or Avant 4. I haven't decided yet.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi backinblack98,

For the BMW owners who *must* stay with the OEM audio modules, then it's the Mk4 GPS computer that everyone wants. It processes the data faster and can drive the 16:9 monitor that similarly, everyone wants directly too. No one really wants the Mk3 and prior units and they sell for very little. If you prefer the OEM modules, then there's specific advantages and disadvantages - namely 100% OEM looks and functionality on the plus side, and common failures as the modules are very old now, multiple points of failure for each and expensive to repair, upgrade.

Make sure you properly research the chinese replacement type head units too. Plenty of threads about those who have purchased them (Avin units are rebranded Chinese units) and range from those who really like them to those who have had nothing but problems with them. Take a look on this and the E46 fanatics forum and others so you can see if you wish to take the gamble on one.

Cheers, Dennis!