Thread: Misfire Cylinder 1,2,5

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5

Misfire Cylinder 1,2,5

Need some help with this. Only codes are the misfires on cylinder 1,2 & 5. Engine barely runs/idles. If I rev it there is a sucking sound from near the intake manifold. At idle it sounds a bit like a chugging train in that same area.
    Things I've tried:
    • Fresh tank of gas with fuel additive.
    • Replaced fuel filter.
    • Cleaned the MAF. Runs about the same with MAF disconnected.
    • Smoke test...no smoke visibly leaking.

If it was something like the crank position sensor or O2 sensors I would think there would be codes for them

Edit: Added a couple videos. Second vid is giving it light revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWi...ature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j5o...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Sammyzuko; 09-15-2020 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Check for vacuum leaks.

Also does removing the oil cap make any difference in the way it idles?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Check for vacuum leaks.

Also does removing the oil cap make any difference in the way it idles?
    Smoke test didn't find any obvious leaks. Wonder if it could be something like a cracked hose that only splits apart when the engine is running/shaking.

I removed the oil cap a few times....it either makes the idle dip then recover or the engine dies.

My Cars
    97 M3/2, '13 Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammyzuko View Post
    Smoke test didn't find any obvious leaks. Wonder if it could be something like a cracked hose that only splits apart when the engine is running/shaking.

I removed the oil cap a few times....it either makes the idle dip then recover or the engine dies.
    Any updates here? I went through the electrical diagram just to see if those cylinders are linked at all but they are unfortunately not all linked anywhere that I could find.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernaM3 View Post
    Any updates here? I went through the electrical diagram just to see if those cylinders are linked at all but they are unfortunately not all linked anywhere that I could find.
    Thanks for the info....I haven't been able to find anything that would link those cylinders. I'm not sure what to check next without taking off the manifold, and to be honest I'd rather just pay my local shop that knows these cars well than start randomly pulling things apart. The forum was my last effort to see if there's something fairly simple I'm overlooking.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Check that spark is good? Pull the spark plugs on those bad cylinders and then pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine in these 2 scenarios:
    1) ground them each, one after the other (touch the body of the plug to a metal part of the frame or engine while the coilpack is plugged to see if the coil or the plug is bad
    2) If any of those aren't firing, try a separate known good spark plug (brand new one) with each of those coilpacks to see if the coilpacks are firing OK

I recommend a helper to crank the engine for you while you observe for spark in each of those tests.

If your codes are just isolated to those 3 cylinders, it's likely spark-related, but it could very well be fueling. I agree with you about other sensors since they would be explicitly called out by codes from your engine scan tool
    -Rich-

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    Check that spark is good? Pull the spark plugs on those bad cylinders and then pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine in these 2 scenarios:
    1) ground them each, one after the other (touch the body of the plug to a metal part of the frame or engine while the coilpack is plugged to see if the coil or the plug is bad
    2) If any of those aren't firing, try a separate known good spark plug (brand new one) with each of those coilpacks to see if the coilpacks are firing OK

I recommend a helper to crank the engine for you while you observe for spark in each of those tests.

If your codes are just isolated to those 3 cylinders, it's likely spark-related, but it could very well be fueling. I agree with you about other sensors since they would be explicitly called out by codes from your engine scan tool
    Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention I replaced the spark plugs. I'll check spark/coilpacks like you suggested.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    It's likely a coil ... 2 or 5 probably, they are linked in the codes as the pistons are in same position. Just pull each coil plug as it's running. If you don't hear it change sound, you found your dead coil. Swap with another coil to make sure, and if the problem follow the coil, replace. If it does NOT follow the problem (ie, same cylinder even with different coil), you might have an injector issue.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Need some help with this. Only codes are the misfires on cylinder 1,2 & 5. Engine barely runs/idles. If I rev it there is a sucking sound from near the intake manifold. At idle it sounds a bit like a chugging train in that same area.
    Things I've tried:
    • Fresh tank of gas with fuel additive.
    • Replaced fuel filter.
    • Cleaned the MAF. Runs about the same with MAF disconnected.
    • Smoke test...no smoke visibly leaking.

If it was something like the crank position sensor or O2 sensors I would think there would be codes for them

Edit: Added a couple videos. Second vid is giving it light revs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnWi...ature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j5o...ature=youtu.be
    What part of the intake did you use for the smoke test? I would pull the breather tube from the valve cover the air/oil separator and insert the smoke test tube into the breather tube.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    I appreciate all of the replies.
    Smoke test was connected to the Bimmerworld intake boot.
    I just disconnected ignition coils one at a time with the engine running. No change in engine rpm when disconnecting coil 1 & 2. All of the rest (including 5) made the engine struggle. Maybe I was decoding the codes incorrectly. Codes are 11 F2 EE EF
    I swapped coils 1 & 2 with 3 & 4. Retested disconnecting one at a time and same result, no change when disconnecting 1 & 2.
    Looking into how to check the injectors...

edit: just swapped spark plugs 1 & 2 with 3 & 4, no change
    Last edited by Sammyzuko; 09-18-2020 at 05:46 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    I appreciate all of the replies.
    Smoke test was connected to the Bimmerworld intake boot.
    I just disconnected ignition coils one at a time with the engine running. No change in engine rpm when disconnecting coil 1 & 2. All of the rest (including 5) made the engine struggle. Maybe I was decoding the codes incorrectly. Codes are 11 F2 EE EF
    I swapped coils 1 & 2 with 3 & 4. Retested disconnecting one at a time and same result, no change when disconnecting 1 & 2.
    Looking into how to check the injectors...

edit: just swapped spark plugs 1 & 2 with 3 & 4, no change
    Confirm the coil pack harness plug is fully seated.
    Confirm the injector power rail is fully seated into each injector.
    Check the ECU connector for any corrosion. Also confirm the connector is properly seated and after seating you firmly push it straight in. Sometimes they don't fully seat using the lever.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 09-18-2020 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Was this engine running fine before? Was is $shifted (bent valves)? A bad HG failure between cyl 1/2 could cause no fire as well ... if everything else (electrical, fuel) checks out, a compression test would be next step.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Confirm the coil pack harness plug is fully seated.
    Confirm the injector power rail is fully seated into each injector.
    Check the ECU connector for any corrosion. Also confirm the connector is properly seated and after seating you firmly push it straight in. Sometimes they don't fully seat using the lever.
    Thanks, I'll check those areas

Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Was this engine running fine before? Was is $shifted (bent valves)? A bad HG failure between cyl 1/2 could cause no fire as well ... if everything else (electrical, fuel) checks out, a compression test would be next step.
    I was returning from a spirited drive when it started misfiring. Some high revs, but definitely no $ shift. Hoping this isn't too serious

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Turns out the head gasket failed between cylinder 1 & 2.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Yep. Your symptoms are pretty reminiscent of mine last when I discovered ultimately that mine was bowon between 4 and 5

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    Yep. Your symptoms are pretty reminiscent of mine last when I discovered ultimately that mine was bowon between 4 and 5
    Any idea what caused yours to go?

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    I don't know for sure, but my theory is that I had nicked it when I had done the head gasket previously myself 3 years ago when I was placing the head.

When I did it last year, the head gasket was completely blown between 4 and 5 and completely OK between all the water and oil jackets, and cylinder bores. My head was also warped by a decent amount 0.007" (service limit is 0.011")

Check my thread here from last year

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Something-else
    Last edited by das borgen; 10-30-2020 at 11:49 AM.