Thread: WTB: Late Model Gas Tanks/sending unit/tank pump

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i

WTB: Late Model Gas Tanks/sending unit/tank pump

Hey All,

I'm in need of at least a passenger gas tank fro my '83, I sealed the interior but it's dripping again. Before I pull it down to figure out what's up, I'd love to get my hands on a good set to replace them with. I'm also searching for a genuine bmw tank pump and a sending unit, as my aftermarket is not sealing right i believe, and one of the studs for the sending unit is messed up. Need a sending unit too, as I believe mine may be non-functioning.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

The Gas tanks can be repaired, they can be welded good as new once the leaking area is found. Where is the leak on the in tank fuel pump assembly ? There is a rubber o-ring that seals this assembly to the right side gas tank. This o-ring if its too hard even though new or cracked and old will let thru gas vapors,, I changed one out to a new one once and it was too hard to properly seal, used another that was softer and is all good, sealed up. There is also a rubber o-ring that seals the sending unit( on the top of it) to the in tank fuel pump which has 4 protruding M6 threaded studs, the sending unit is secured by M6(10 mm wrench size) Nuts to the in tank fuel pump.. Either one of these O-rings goes bad fuel vapors will escape into the cabin of the car.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 09-15-2020 at 07:39 PM.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    The issue with the pump/sending unit assembly is that one of the studs was welded in the wrong place, and could not align properly with the sending unit. It had too much shear force from being out of alignment and cracked. My fuel gauge is getting odd readings, I end up with the reserve light on most of the time, and at times the gauge will start to swing randomly and shoot to empty. I was able to locate new tanks today, I've already tried sealing these once, and they have jack damage from the PO.