Thread: Paint for plastic interior trim

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

Paint for plastic interior trim

Hey everyone! I'm new here. Just bought a 2000 740IL and the interior needs a lot of help. The interior is grey. One of the things I was wondering was: is there a paint out there that I can repray these door trim plastic pieces with (pardon my ignorance, but i have no idea what these are called)?

Also, is there anyone who sells matching vinyl that i can re-wrap the the lower b pillar panels with?
    Last edited by hughesj; 09-14-2020 at 04:50 PM.

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    These guys are good. A little expensive but haven’t heard of issues with them.

http://www.worlduph.com/samples/bmwlea.htm#*

2001 750iL DD74441
    E65 fan & clutch, E65 headrests, Front First Aid Kit, Ultimate Cup holder

2005 X5 4.8is LE82680
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Did you ever find a solution for this? My trim pieces have the same problem.
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Btkeenan View Post
    Did you ever find a solution for this? My trim pieces have the same problem.
    I actually refurbished the door sill trim pieces on my car. My interior is the plain old dove grey, so I figured it would be easy to find an off the shelf spray paint color that would match the dove grey. With a little bit of experimenting, I found the Rustoleum Coastal Grey enamel matches 99% to the oem dove grey. The Behr brand Iron Mountain color also is a very close match. I can provide some pictures if you want to see.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by JigglyGelato View Post
    I actually refurbished the door sill trim pieces on my car. My interior is the plain old dove grey, so I figured it would be easy to find an off the shelf spray paint color that would match the dove grey. With a little bit of experimenting, I found the Rustoleum Coastal Grey enamel matches 99% to the oem dove grey. The Behr brand Iron Mountain color also is a very close match. I can provide some pictures if you want to see.
    Yea that’d be great, I was thinking some spray paint would be able to get it close. Not sure how the Montana grey leather/grau interior compares to dove grey but worth checking it out. Thanks

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    I've had good luck with Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. Used the tan and black colors and they looked great when done. Haven't tried the gray but they do have one.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    Yea that’d be great, I was thinking some spray paint would be able to get it close. Not sure how the Montana grey leather/grau interior compares to dove grey but worth checking it out. Thanks
    I always get the grey colors mixed up. Is the grey in the E38 called Montana grey? Or are there multiple shades of grey in the E38 generation?

I've attached a picture of the driver's side seat control trim and the rear seatbelt trim. The seatbelt trim is the original grey and the driver's seat control has been painted with Rustoleum Coastal Grey enamel. No clearcoat.

trim.jpg

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by JigglyGelato View Post
    I always get the grey colors mixed up. Is the grey in the E38 called Montana grey? Or are there multiple shades of grey in the E38 generation?

I've attached a picture of the driver's side seat control trim and the rear seatbelt trim. The seatbelt trim is the original grey and the driver's seat control has been painted with Rustoleum Coastal Grey enamel. No clearcoat.

trim.jpg
    Thanks. From what I recall, the leather is Montana grey and the remaining interior bits are called grau. That is a close color match. How has the durability been?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    Thanks. From what I recall, the leather is Montana grey and the remaining interior bits are called grau. That is a close color match. How has the durability been?
    I haven't put the car into service yet, but if the Rustoleum black interior trim spray is any indication, it's quite durable. I've applied the black interior trim spray on my E46's center console trim piece and it has held up to the summer heat and winter cold without flaking for 2 years now. I think the key is decent prep. I used the Duplicolor plastic adhesion promoter before applying the paint. I will report back once the car is back on the road.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    The problem with repainting trim (such as seat control covers) is that the existing paint has deteriorated and can be scratched off with a fingernail. This is hardly a good base over which to apply new paint. It seems to me the old paint should be removed before repainting.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    1999 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    The problem with repainting trim (such as seat control covers) is that the existing paint has deteriorated and can be scratched off with a fingernail. This is hardly a good base over which to apply new paint. It seems to me the old paint should be removed before repainting.
    The paint was peeling on my pieces already so I finished the job and removed all of it. All part of the prep process.