Thread: Z3 AC Not working / Electrical ?

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is

Question Z3 AC Not working / Electrical ?

So my friend got this z3 2001 3.0 on a lien sale, doesn't have any prior history on it whatsoever.

We basically took it to an ac shop and they said it was the ac control module, i orderded part #64118367931. I can't seem to find the location for it or anyone else that has replaced it and dont know if it will solve my issue.
    Another thing i noticed is that when i turn the lights on, the ac and fan controls dont have any backlit but the knobs and vent selection still work. the AC button doesnt seem to work and i wouldnt know if the air return button work either.

I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction, should i replace the climate control (IHKR) and the ac buttons or look for hiden fuses under the dash, or a relay i should look at

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    You should look to the wiring diagrams. That has all the info, including locations.

/.randy

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster,'07 328i
    Not sure how they could narrow it down that easily, but to answer your question:

It is on the drivers side, on the left side of the center console underneath the dash, and it is clipped next to (or on, can’t remember for sure) the evaporator air box. If you research on how to replace the evaporator temp sensor, it is right next to that. As I was looking for that temp sensor, I actually pulled that module in error, thinking the temp sensor was behind it. Then it was a PITA to reinstall it, as it just held in by a little metal clip, and you only have room to get one hand in there while you are laying on your back with your head near the gas pedal.

You have to remove the trim from under the steering wheel, then the metal knee protector panel, then you can get to it.

Good luck! I hope that fixes the problem!

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Okay, after looking at the wiring diagram. If neither the AC snowflake nor the Recirc button light up when pressed, then you have a problem with the blower system power feed. Fuse, relay, or ground. Or the switch isn't plugged in.

01-ac.pdf

/.randy

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Thanks for the help, i already have the panel and metal thing removed from replacing the brake switch so i'll look for it and hopefully it'll fix it.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    thanks for the diagram i'll look into it if replacing the control module doesn't fix it

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    so i took out the ac\recirculation button, and it wasnt even hooked up, so once i did it lit up, but now the compressor doesn't get any power. i checked the relay with a working one from my moms z3 and still no power with a voltimeter. the aux fan isn't turning on either. the air recirculation motor kicks in though.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    The compressor doesn't get power until you have enough pressure. What are your AC pressures?
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    The compressor doesn't get power until you have enough pressure. What are your AC pressures?

My first thought.
    What are the LP, HP pressures? I'm guessing 0psi.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 328is
    Well the AC shop said it was within range but not sure what that means, ill be sure to check that today. i also have a snap-on solus ultra scantool, lets see if that helps