Thread: Door Will NOT lock when alarm is arm

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525

Door Will NOT lock when alarm is arm

hey guys, I have not drove much of the car, it has been garage. I ve tried to arm and lock the car, but it will not do it. However, using the key, it will lock/unlock just fine.
    Check the fuse and still good. It still has the factory OEM alarm.
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    You have a bad microswitch. Hood, doors, and the trunk all contain a switch. One of them is not closing. Hood is the most common, trunk and then doors.

Get out there and figure out which is bad.

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525
    how do you test them? thanks
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    Does your alarm bwoop at you when you try to arm it? If a door or either the hood or trunk is ajar it should bwoop bwoop bwoop at you. Have you verified the red FOB light comes on when the buttons are pressed? The solder points for the positive terminal on the FOBs go bad over time, so sometimes even a new battery doesn't work. I just recently did this to my FOB and got it working after 5+ years of using the key lol.

If it is annoyingly bwooping at you, then as braymond mentioned it's probably a switch not being actuated, or that has gone bad. Hood sensor getting knocked off (next to windshield fluid reservoir), or the pin to actuate it isn't in the hood anymore, being the most common. The way to test them that I know of is to set your multimeter to continuity and you should get a beeeeeeep when the switch is actuated (depressed). There may be an easier method for the doors, but this is what I did to test my hood actuation switch before realizing I was missing the part on my hood to contact it.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2 View Post
    Does your alarm bwoop at you when you try to arm it? If a door or either the hood or trunk is ajar it should bwoop bwoop bwoop at you. Have you verified the red FOB light comes on when the buttons are pressed? The solder points for the positive terminal on the FOBs go bad over time, so sometimes even a new battery doesn't work. I just recently did this to my FOB and got it working after 5+ years of using the key lol.

If it is annoyingly bwooping at you, then as braymond mentioned it's probably a switch not being actuated, or that has gone bad. Hood sensor getting knocked off (next to windshield fluid reservoir), or the pin to actuate it isn't in the hood anymore, being the most common. The way to test them that I know of is to set your multimeter to continuity and you should get a beeeeeeep when the switch is actuated (depressed). There may be an easier method for the doors, but this is what I did to test my hood actuation switch before realizing I was missing the part on my hood to contact it.

let me check with the hood switch first.
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    I had a similar problem and it was the hood switch. I ended up just disconnecting it as the alarm system will work fine with the hood switch unplugged.

My Cars
    98 M3/4, 02 525
    You guys are badasses!!! The damn sensor on the hood to be the culprit. I press down the metal contact while the hood is up, hit the alarm and it lock. Great. I put a small rubber piece under the contact point so it will have more room to touch the point. It works!!!! for now.
    Saw ECS had a new one OEM for 47 bucks, not sure if I want to get a new one. Anyone knows where the hood alarm switch cheaper?
    Where are you hurting?

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by TX S3 View Post
    You guys are badasses!!! The damn sensor on the hood to be the culprit. I press down the metal contact while the hood is up, hit the alarm and it lock. Great. I put a small rubber piece under the contact point so it will have more room to touch the point. It works!!!! for now.
    Saw ECS had a new one OEM for 47 bucks, not sure if I want to get a new one. Anyone knows where the hood alarm switch cheaper?
    Steal one from a junkyard car. They're the same across all E36, and apparently shared with E32 and E34, so that's a decent amount of options that would readily be in a junkyard

Part number: 65 75 8 350 549
    -Rich-

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Bend the tab on it so it makes contact with the hood again.