Thread: 2020 Tuscan GP

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan

2020 Tuscan GP

Well heck, this is quite the series of events so far
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    Well heck, this is quite the series of events so far
    Yep. My guess is mugello is not going to be very popular with Pirelli after this GP

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    yay
    Great work, Albon. Bottas, you're killin' me.
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    1. Mugello is still a super cool track
    2. Damnit Bottas
    3. Feel good for Albon, feel bad for Ricciardo
    4. Drivers at the back during the restart caused the accident, and I hope they don't make some rule to introduce single file restarts like they mentioned. These are ostensibly the best drivers in the world; they can learn to do rolling starts.

My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG
    What a mess of the start. Maybe they should have standing starts after all safety cars, or a VSC restart with same gap to each car.

Well done HAM. One more to tie Schumi win record. Bottas tried, he looked fast in practice and pole attempt was ruined by yellow flag
    Sucks for MAX, he couldve been in the fight. Finally Albon gets a podium, a few more good results and his seat may be safe.
    Weird failure for Stroll, did the tire just blow out?
    Was hoping Russell would get a point, oh well

My Cars
    540i, 986, 997, CTT
    They need flagged starts like Indycar. Those jumps from three corners back just give the leader way too much of a jump. And we saw how well a delay worked!

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    What a mess of the start. Maybe they should have standing starts after all safety cars, or a VSC restart with same gap to each car.

Well done HAM. One more to tie Schumi win record. Bottas tried, he looked fast in practice and pole attempt was ruined by yellow flag
    Sucks for MAX, he couldve been in the fight. Finally Albon gets a podium, a few more good results and his seat may be safe.
    Weird failure for Stroll, did the tire just blow out?
    Was hoping Russell would get a point, oh well

Nothing wrong with rolling starts. The drivers in the midfield just did it wrong.

Yeah, Stroll's tire failed on the curb. That's why Mercedes was telling their guys to avoid all of them.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    These races are just turning into tire management from beginning to end. Even the hard tires didn't last long. Get rid of Pirelli and get Michelin or Bridgestone back.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by mgambini View Post
    These races are just turning into tire management from beginning to end. Even the hard tires didn't last long. Get rid of Pirelli and get Michelin or Bridgestone back.
    It's been tire management for years. They said they can make tires last a whole race, and I think that's what should happen. Multiple mandatory compounds are yet another contrived and unnecessary addition. Let. The. Guys. Race. Tire management is and will always be boring. Reintroducing fuel stops would be the perfect companion rule.
    Last edited by ELVA164; 09-13-2020 at 09:54 PM.

My Cars
    Alpha Romero
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVA164 View Post
    It's been tire management for years. They said they can make tires last a whole race, and I think that's what should happen. Multiple mandatory compounds are yet another contrived and unnecessary addition. Let. The. Guys. Race. Tire management is and will always be boring. Reintroducing fuel stops would be the perfect companion rule.
    I didn't realize they could do that... I understand F1's main focus seems to be on pretending they can make it a cheap sport, but to intentionally hinder races with something like tire life seems odd... Is it just to keep the thrill aspect of pits and the strategy that comes with it?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    I'm not sure they could make a tire that would last the whole race and still have reasonable traction. There is no other form of racing where they don't change tires that I know of. But the requirement to use 2 different compounds is BS. Let them use whatever they want in qualification and in the race. Then the emphasis would be on racing instead of tire strategy. The aero effects are also too extreme. They can't follow closely so the only way they can pass is DRS. And all the complicated fuel consumption rules! Let them have a tank of fuel of specified capacity and let them figure out how to make it last.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    I didn't realize they could do that... I understand F1's main focus seems to be on pretending they can make it a cheap sport, but to intentionally hinder races with something like tire life seems odd... Is it just to keep the thrill aspect of pits and the strategy that comes with it?
    Contrived "excitement" designed to distract from the larger design issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mgambini View Post
    I'm not sure they could make a tire that would last the whole race and still have reasonable traction. There is no other form of racing where they don't change tires that I know of. But the requirement to use 2 different compounds is BS. Let them use whatever they want in qualification and in the race. Then the emphasis would be on racing instead of tire strategy. The aero effects are also too extreme. They can't follow closely so the only way they can pass is DRS. And all the complicated fuel consumption rules! Let them have a tank of fuel of specified capacity and let them figure out how to make it last.
    I read it in 2016/2017 so downforce was comparable to now. Either way, I agree that the mandatory compound choices make it worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'm pretty sure the Bridgestones were capable of it...

Either way, getting rid of the rule forcing the top 10 to race in their qualifying tires would help also. It adds absolutely nothing to the racing, and effectively only penalizes different strategies.

My Cars
    Can anyone explain DRS? I get what it is, and what it does. The spoiler flap opens up, reducing drag, and makes the car faster. So why doesn't everyone use it on every straightaway? Only a guy trying to pass can use it? And sometimes they're allowed to and sometimes not?

Forgive me of these noob questions. It's my first year. LOL
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Roadster
    DRS can only be used if you are within 1.0 sec of the car in front of you. There are timing areas before the straights where a timing measurment is made to enable DRS or not.

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    DRS, like the tire compounds, exists as a contrived way to make the racing closer. The cars are super aerodynamically complex and feature flat floors, so they create a large wake of "dirty" air behind them. This means a following car loses grip and cooling when within as much as 4 or 5 seconds behind. This also means a car has to be about 1.5s a lap faster to pass on its own merit, so DRS is basically a free pass button for straightaways.

My Cars
    Thanks for the explanation guys.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Sad to hear F1 is still making kinda boring tire mgmt racing...

I just lost interest mid-last season. I found myself not paying attention during races they were so boring, and then wondering what I was doing making it a point of watching it.

At least in the V10 era, while it was a little boring from the racing side at times, the engine sound alone made it totally worth it everytime there was some onboard footage. The V6 hybrid turbos are just lame as an F1 engine... sorry they are. They don't sound good, they don't rev, and they are way too quiet.

You guys think the 2021? regs will be any better to mix it up? Seemed like a very tiny reg change overall, similar engines, so I imagine Merc will dominate as long as they keep the checks coming.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I've lost interest in F1 cor quite a while now. It's boring, nothing really excites me about it. There hasn't been any major changes over the years. It's just too predictable and artificial to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some hope 2021 regs will bring some or a whole lot of changes to the sport.

My Cars
    I wish they’d bring back the V10. Every now and then I go on YouTube and listen to some clips of them. Nothing even compares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I miss old F1.

Slight off topic from this thread, but this is quality stuff.