Thread: 2004 545i E60 Flooded car not starting

My Cars
    2004 bmw 545i

Question 2004 545i E60 Flooded car not starting

This is my first post so I'll try to be short but clear. My 545i was in a flood. The water did get inside the car. I was able to get the car started and it was drivable for two weeks. Now I turn the key and just hear a click. The battery is charged. Is it possible that over time the starter could now have a problem due to moisture or am I looking in the wrong direction. Thank you in advance. Respectfully Stephen

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Because of the flooding your will probably have numerous electrical problems even after getting it running, because there is a bunch of electrical stuff under the carpet
    Last edited by jclausen; 09-13-2020 at 09:15 AM.

My Cars
    2004 bmw 545i
    Wow! 83 folks read this question and no intelligent suggestions. That's why I joined I thought this was a BMW Think Tank.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Stephen01 -- You got the answer that I and perhaps many others agree with. And it's obvious. So other readers didn't jump in to add more.

You said the car got flooded. BMW puts many important electrical components and systems low in the cabin, even under the seats and the carpets. Once they get wet, it can wreck havoc on those electrical systems. That's why most insurance companies will total a car that's been badly flooded.

So you need to clean ALL the water out (not just dry the carpet). Then you need to assess everything and repair/replace any damage.

MANY things can keep an engine from starting, including computer and anti-theft systems that aren't working just right. And if you have water damage that wasn't properly cleaned and repaired, something might work for a while and then have gremlins later. It might never run right until you track down every little thing that might have been compromised by getting wet.

Start with repairing the known damage and go from there. If you have specific questions about a particular component or system, you'll probably get more answers.

Good luck.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    About the starter specifically, yes that could be the problem. Starters are pretty easy to check.

First, make sure you have a good charge in the battery. Usually higher than 12.5 volts. If you're not sure about the battery, try using jumper cables from another running car.

Then put a voltmeter on the battery leads and test the voltage there while someone turns the key. If you get battery voltage there but just clicking from the starter, then yes I'd replace the starter.

And I'd still check/dry/clean/repair all the electrical things that got wet.
    Last edited by R Shaffner; 09-17-2020 at 07:00 AM.

My Cars
    2008 E61 535xi Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen01 View Post
    ...My 545i was in a flood. The water did get inside the car. I was able to get the car started and it was drivable for two weeks. Now I turn the key and just hear a click. The battery is charged. Is it possible that over time the starter could now have a problem due to moisture or am I looking in the wrong direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen01 View Post
    Wow! 83 folks read this question and no intelligent suggestions. That's why I joined I thought this was a BMW Think Tank.
    No, they're not related at all. Come on man, use your own think tank. Of course it's possible the two things are related. It's also possible the two things aren't related. It's possible aliens are dicking with you.
    Instead of asking an obvious question why not research so you can diagnose and resolve yourself?
    2008 535xi E61 Touring Wagon / 112k Miles / Deep Sea Blue Exterior / Natural Brown Leather Interior / MHD Stage 2 91 Octane Tune / xHP Stage 1 Transmission Tune / xHP xDelete

My Cars
    2004 bmw 545i
    Thank you guys for your assistance. As you guys write I am trying each one of your recommendations. I just read how much they charge to replace the starter. I'll exhaust every recommendation first. WITH YOUR HELP I AM LEARNING MUCH AND I WANTED TO SAY I APPRECIATE EACH OF YOUR COMMENTS/RECOMMENDATIONS. THANKS AGAIN!

My Cars
    '85 M635; '08 535XiT

2004 545i E60 Flooded car not starting

This is going to get expensive very quickly if you need to replace any control modules.

Do you have a Carly adapter and app? That would likely give you a long list of trouble codes to tell you what to start debugging.

I also have to ask, have you contacted your insurance company? You might be able to get the car totaled, then buy it back from the insurance company. With a few $k in payout you can pay a good independent mechanic to work on it for a month.
    Last edited by Sixracer; 09-24-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    ................'85 M635...............'08 535XiT (6-spd!)..................

My Cars
    2006 E60 530i N52
    You will need to use a scanner that can communicate with more than just global OBD2 for engine data. You need to see what systems in the body control and other modules are reporting for problems. Any modules that got drowned will likely need replaced. Anything that was being powered at the time was especially at risk. Flood vehicles are usually a total loss. This is going to be a hard set of issues to figure out, expensive, and the car will probably never be the same with issues popping up for the rest of it's life.