Thread: Silicone Hose Tips

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe

Silicone Hose Tips

How do you guys get tight silicone hoses onto things? Like the one in Eric's M50 manifold kit onto the ICV, or an intake boot onto the MAF. I've been working on the ICV one for like an hour and all I'm doing is tearing up the end of the hose. It doesn't want to go on, even with some dish soap and even after heating it up a little in hot water. I've never worked with these before so I'm not used to them having almost no give, unlike rubber hoses.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    96 E36 M3
    I've never tried it, but they do make a silicone spray lube for this very thing. I've always had luck with dish soap and water.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    My next idea is to try boiling water on the end of the hose. I even tried grinding down the ICV flange a little bit, and almost got it on, but the hose squeezed it back out as soon as I let up on it.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Step 1: silicone spray
    Step 2: shave a bit of the inner diameter of that hose
    -Rich-

My Cars
    01 330Ci
    Make sure you have the right size hose as well. I didn't have the issues you're talking about for my radiator hoses. They were snug but certainly went on with no tearing or having to shave things down. Purchased from Pegasus Racing.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah they're all the correct size for sure, and just probably a matter of a mm or so from being relatively easy to get on. I ordered some of that silicone/teflon spray and I'll give that a shot. If that fails, I'll have to try shaving some material out of the hose or the fitting/flange.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    Step 1: silicone spray
    Step 2: shave a bit of the inner diameter of that hose
    I had to do step 2 with my 3.5" silicone intake elbow. No way I could get it started without that.

Because it stays slippery for ever I don't like silicone spray. Prefer Windex or soapy water.

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 09-15-2020 at 12:08 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hot water or leaving them out in direct sunlight for a while before trying to slip them on has always worked for me.
    1999 E36 M3 Cosmo/Sand Beige LS1 swap
    2022 G42 230i Thundernight/Tacora

My Cars
    are slow.
    Don't cut it/shave it. Silicone hose is made of layers, and between layers are fibers. Soften it with a bit of heat,boil it in water, etc. Or like suggested, use soap and water.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah I eventually realized I was being stupid with the ICV hose for the M50 kit and trying to put it on the wrong side. For the intake boot though, I chamfered the edge into the inner lining with a knife a bit and I plan on dipping it in hot water and I think I can get it on the MAF after that. It'll be tight though.

My Cars
    97 M3/2, '13 Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Yeah I eventually realized I was being stupid with the ICV hose for the M50 kit and trying to put it on the wrong side. For the intake boot though, I chamfered the edge into the inner lining with a knife a bit and I plan on dipping it in hot water and I think I can get it on the MAF after that. It'll be tight though.
    Any reason you went with Eric’s instead of the Turner Motorsport kit?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernaM3 View Post
    Any reason you went with Eric’s instead of the Turner Motorsport kit?
    Because by all reports it works great and a bunch of people here have used it with success. It also keeps things a little "more stock" in terms of where everything is under the manifold compared to the Turner kit and requires a little less bending and other modifications. As far as ease of installation it's basically the same process; the silicone tube Eric provides serves more or less the same function as Turner's chunk of aluminum, connecting the manifold, ICV, and CCV. There is also the price; I bought mine several years back and I believe it was around $150 cheaper than the Turner kit.

However, I'm not sure if Eric is still selling the kits so if I were to get one today I'd probably go with Turner as opposed to fully DIYing it (which many people have done, but I'd rather spend the money).
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 09-20-2020 at 01:07 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3/2, '13 Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by TostitoBandito View Post
    Because by all reports it works great and a bunch of people here have used it with success. It also keeps things a little "more stock" in terms of where everything is under the manifold compared to the Turner kit and requires a little less bending and other modifications. As far as ease of installation it's basically the same process; the silicone tube Eric provides serves more or less the same function as Turner's chunk of aluminum, connecting the manifold, ICV, and CCV. There is also the price; I bought mine several years back and I believe it was around $150 cheaper than the Turner kit.

However, I'm not sure if Eric is still selling the kits so if I were to get one today I'd probably go with Turner as opposed to fully DIYing it (which many people have done, but I'd rather spend the money).
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Eric seems to still be selling his — gives me some things to think about in the mean time. I’m with you as I’d rather just buy the kit and be done, though.