Thread: Help me find my old car

My Cars
    2011 BMW 320d

Help me find my old car

Hey everyone,

So I am trying to find out what eventually happened to my old e60. The problem is I only have the last 7 of the vin (from memory). B088800.

A google search shows me this:

Which leads me to think it was salvaged sometime in 2016-2018 (given I sold it in 2014 w/ 114k on the clock in Georgia). When I click those links it just takes me to current listings, and both Poctra and AutoAuctions.io show me nothing for either last 7 of vin or lot number (looks to be IAA).

I've been trying to determine the entire VIN based on the last 7 but I have been unsuccessful thus far. Ideally and best case at this point is I can just pull a Carfax on it to see what ended up happening to it but if anyone knows how to understand what Google is seeing to display the above search results, that would be cool/awesome too.

If anyone here on the board works at IAA and could give me some info - that would be best case. MY dad and I worked on this car together and I'd like to be able to tell him what ended up happening to our project.

It seems to have been a salvage incident that led to its demise and not the mechanical damage based on the above.

Anyways - if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Gat
    Last edited by Gatriel; 09-10-2020 at 03:43 AM.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 320d
    UPDATE:

So it appears it sold at auction in past December/January 2019/2020 at IAA in East Atlanta for $650. Vin found: WBANB33565B088800

https://poctra.com/2005-BMW-545-I/id-BN4IsoyWT6WQYp8r/ATLANTA-EAST-GA

The last owner purchased in June of 2017 and drove it only 2,000 miles until it ended up at the Auction as a repossession. Given this - I assume there were mechanical issues (as the vehicle is listed as a "with keys but no start") and the last owner let the thing sit for a while.

It has since not been registered again. I take it, it was since sold to a local salvage yard where its either already gone or is essentially gone at this point (given 9 months on a salvage lot is a long time for such a common vehicle).

I've found a couple local Atlanta salvage yards where similar vehicles are based on car-part.com, but will try to narrow down even more.

I'll keep everyone in the loop.

My Cars
    Interesting story. Update when you can.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician