Thread: new phone holder design

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M

new phone holder design

I really hate extra stuff on the windshield, so I took a stab at designing a new phone mount. I'm taking advantage of the OBD2 port mounts, as it attaches via 2 sheet metal screws to the center console support, and already has a sizable opening in the side of the console. I obviously still have to finish/paint the external piece, but I'm liking how it's turned out so far. I made it specifically for the Pitaka mount (because it's a magnetic + wireless charging mount that works with my phone case), but it should be easy enough to adjust the ball size to work with any arbitrary mount pad.

ABS, or even PETG is probably better than the PLA that I've got it in at the moment, but this is easiest to print for test purposes.

IMG_1462.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg

Here's the CAD file for it:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/21...c93300af33f9b0

Printed in .2mm PLA, supports on build plate only.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Nice!
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Does it interfere with passengers?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    Nice!
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Does it interfere with passengers?
    it’s pretty unobtrusive. Sits high enough up that it shouldn’t. It’s also a latch-on design, so you can take it off by just lifting up on it.

My Cars
    '98 Z3 2.8
    Kudos on the idea and thanks for the 3D model. My lower dash area isn't as crowded with stuff as yours. I've been thinking about a holder converted from a cig lighter plug in resting of course on top of the plug in which would provide power (via wireless charge cradle/back or via magnetic USB plug). Since the lighter plug is there on the right side only covering the digital clock (I wish was analog). The phone has time so covering up the clock is no big deal to me. Only other issue is with a manual stick shift in the same area, it would need to be shifted to the drivers side (pun intended).

I think this by your right knee access would be preferable to reaching over to the passenger side. The only other place that looks appealing is on the middle of the dash above the center vent, turned sideways. Depending on the size of the phone, it might need to be angled as not to disrupt front visibility. But, keeping your eyes up is always better than having to look down.

Having the vent there smack dab in the middle most likely precludes any chance of a clean recessed "pop up" monitor style of modification. But, what the heck, who needs air vents in a convertible? Gezz, those crazy German Engineers, first its the cup holders suitable only for European espresso drinkers. Then they put a vent right were I want to put a modern audio visual entertainment system. Get with the new century BMW ... oops.. I guess autos designed back in the 90s has its limits.

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    i think some folks had a metal bracket slipped in between the center-right vent and the outside hinge. that probably works well also, but i like this approach because there's less stuff to disassemble.

i do like your idea of using the cig lighter, that could work well if you're ok covering that part of the console...

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I'll be your first customer! If you're going to make these I will buy one, great idea.

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    which one

if you're talking about the design i put up, i'm just sharing. i'm happy to print one for you, but you'll need to finish (sand/paint) it yourself as that takes a bunch of time i don't have anymore. i may not even finish it for myself, just reprint it in black PET and call it good since it doesn't modify the interior.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I can finish it myself no problem. If you will print the base piece and the external piece and PM me your mailing address I will send you a check and my mailing address. Let me know the cost and shipping and I'll get a check in the mail.

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    I can finish it myself no problem. If you will print the base piece and the external piece and PM me your mailing address I will send you a check and my mailing address. Let me know the cost and shipping and I'll get a check in the mail.
    sure, i'll dm you when it's done. no need for cash moneys, i'm sure the shipping will be minimal.

My Cars
    ‘97 M3/4/5 ‘99 M Coupe
    I wish I drove my coupe enough to have one of these.

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    finally got around to printing a few of these for the folks that asked for one, + threw in a black one for myself (the blue _is_ pretty garish)

IMG_1558.jpg

just gotta clean up the supports and glue in the locks!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Looking good!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Nice!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    Sorry guys -- everything is printed (had to reprint a couple times since that post because of cleanup issues), took me longer to get to cleanup that I expected. @IndianaRoadster -- DM me your address. @iDaKRO I owe you a shipping quote.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    @kolosy all good! No worries!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk