Thread: Power steering

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CiC

Power steering

Greetings. Replaced PS pump this summer, lasted 2 months. I also did the reservoir and the hoses to and from it.
    Got new pump on yesterday, also did tensioners and pulley, replaced both belts and lower radiator hose. Refilled system and started the car. I had no power steering. Tried to bleed left and right, still nothing. A squeal from pump was intermittent. Belt felt really tight. Pulled off fan and shroud again to check belt, and it looks fine. Then I squeezed the hose going from reservoir to pump and squeal stopped. Kept pumping it and squeal was gone. Got under car, loosened up the clamp a little, fluid came out. Tightened it back up, but less tight than it was.
    Now I’m letting it run, but still no power steering. Fluid stays full, but lots of burping in the system. Finally shut it down since fan is off.

Question: Is this normal(didn’t happen when I replaced the first pump) and should I let it idle to bleed system?

Also read somewhere about reving it up to 2500.

Thanks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The hose that supplies fluid to the pump is internally swollen. Replace it. Is the power steering fluid reservoir original? Replace it with a new ZF reservoir. The reservoir has a filter at the bottom that can become clogged.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 09-10-2020 at 07:04 AM.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CiC
    Found hose plugged yesterday. It was brand new. I replaced it with the reservoir and a power steering pump 2 months ago. It was probably what killed my new pump.
    Hose is a Rein brand, partially plugged by rubber disintegrated from inside.

My Cars
    '00 330i Sprt '92 525i
    The squeal may have been the pump running dry. When you have sorted the hose, purge the system of air by turning the steering lock to lock a few times with the engine off. Easiest way is to grab a tyre. And that way, you are closer to the rack so can hear if there is any air in it

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CiC
    Update: Replaced hose and bled system. No damage to pump, works like it should. However, now I need to bleed cooling system due to lower coolant hose replaced while I was in there.....

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I personally stay away from parts made by Rein.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CiC
    It was Rein brand, and I got it at Parts Geek.