Thread: Not starting after being parked for 6 weeks

My Cars
    2002 735i

Not starting after being parked for 6 weeks

Bit of a mystery.
    E65 735i
    The car was last driven 6 weeks ago on a 150km trip drove perfectly absolutely no issues at all.
    Parked it in the garage turned it off haven't used or started it since.
    Went to start it the other day spins over on the starter but doesnt start up.
    Thinking the most likely thing is a fuel pump not working I check that from under the back seat. Can't hear it working when cranking.
    Check for power at the pump no power. Check the fuel pump fuse in the back then all fuses in the back and glove box. All fuses ok.
    Before going any further what could possibly go wrong or the most likely thing with the car after being parked and switched off?
    Thought a fuel pump may have been the most likely cause. If the car had be acting up prior to this I could understand it not starting up but it wasn't.

Any suggestions where is a good place to start is? Don't have any access currently to read codes.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by gtext View Post
    Any suggestions where is a good place to start is? Don't have any access currently to read codes.
    This is where you start. If you don't have a way to read the codes, then you have to find a way. Buy a scan tool, and not a cheap, generic OBDII code reader. Those belong in the trash.

Edit: Is there a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for fuel pressure?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2002 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    This is where you start. If you don't have a way to read the codes, then you have to find a way. Buy a scan tool, and not a cheap, generic OBDII code reader. Those belong in the trash.

Edit: Is there a Schrader valve on the fuel rail to check for fuel pressure?
    Thanks so much for the reply.

Unfortunately at the moment we are in lockdown in Melbourne Australia. Normally I have a friend who has a Snap On reader that he's used previously.
    Until the lockdown is lifted I can't even get it towed as it in my garage and not on the road. The BMW shop can't help at the moment either.
    Not sure about the valve but the pump is not getting any power.

If with the fuel pump unplugged I power the pump seperatly and there's no connection to the car so no feedback (I know which pins) to check if it otherwise runs and can move the car will cause any harm elsewhere?
    Is that possible?

Otherwise I'll just have to wait until things open up here.

Thanks again.

My Cars
    2002 735i
    A further update. I did get it running by disconnecting at the fuel pump and running the pump off a jump battery. Got advice prior to doing this to make sure it didn't cause other issues. No possible of back feed in the electrics as the original feed was taken off.
    This doesn't solve the original problem of course but it does allow the car to move. It also showed the motor was able to run as normal and that maybe some of the other electrics are ok. The SBSR in the centre pillar is maybe the next to check or just take it to my BM guy to check codes and fix when lockdown is lifted. It can at least be made to drive a short distance now. Luckily I have a second car if needed in the meantime.

My Cars
    Sounds like you’re on the right track to getting it sorted. Good for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would go to new ‘tis.com enter the last seven of the vin go to wiring diagrams And see what is the fuel pump circuit also the Ivm module would be something to check it also has fuses in it it’s in the engine compartment near where all the computers are Ivm is the integreted voltage module I believe