Thread: Anyone that has replaced a asc+t unit on a 1994 740i or equivalent

My Cars
    1994 740i

Anyone that has replaced a asc+t unit on a 1994 740i or equivalent

Ok I’ve made several post regarding thisAsc+t unit in the past few days and got a lot of info thanks for all that chimed in Shogun gave me written instructions and I also have the Bentley manual what I’m looking for in this thread is for anyone to chime in with in-depth knowledge of actually having done this job on the 740 I/IL please treat this thread like your walking someone through something that has no knowledge of how to do a job like this well because I don’t!!! how to’s tips tricks would be welcome before you chime in with if you don’t know what your doing don’t do it yourself.well if I had the money to do that I would but I don’t and I’m on my own on this and with specific instructions I have accomplished many DIY jobs in the past I’m not a novice turning a wrench just this particular job. I sourced the part and it should be here within the week it only has a 30 day warranty so I can’t sit on this one so if you have done it and would post a write up or know of where there is one with pics and detailed instructions so I get it right the first time you would be helping me and I’m sure someone else down the road in my predicament .This forum has been a great source of knowledge for me bringing this old car back to life after sitting so many years and it’s close to being back on the road where it belongs this is just one more hurdle I need to overcome so if you have done this job please take the time to chime in help me get another one of these cars back on the road .I have grown very fond of this car over the past few months lots of late nights in the garage getting it right if I can get this sorted I can register it and enjoy it for a little while before it has to get stored till spring thanks in advance

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Only done it on a 750, but the workshop manual says for the E32 740:
    removing and installing or replacing hydraulic control unit ASC+T for M60 engine:
    disconnect battery ground
    remove hydraulic oil tank
    remove rear pedal assembly console
    unlock and disconnect plug
    loosen bleeder screw with special tool 34 3 110 , reservoir pressure is discharged
    unscrew brake pipes 1....4, at plunger type hydraulic control unit
    unscrew brake pipes 1 and 2 at ABS unit and remove
    unscrew hydraulic fluid pipe 5 at adapter
    unscrew nuts and remove inside wheel house trim panel
    unscrew mounting screws in wheel house and remove plunger type hydraulic control unit
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Only done it on a 750, but the workshop manual says for the E32 740:
    removing and installing or replacing hydraulic control unit ASC+T for M60 engine:
    disconnect battery ground
    remove hydraulic oil tank
    remove rear pedal assembly console
    unlock and disconnect plug
    loosen bleeder screw with special tool 34 3 110 , reservoir pressure is discharged
    unscrew brake pipes 1....4, at plunger type hydraulic control unit
    unscrew brake pipes 1 and 2 at ABS unit and remove
    unscrew hydraulic fluid pipe 5 at adapter
    unscrew nuts and remove inside wheel house trim panel
    unscrew mounting screws in wheel house and remove plunger type hydraulic control unit
    thanks Shogun Bentley is similar from looking at my car that seems very watered down I know when i did the blower motor the Bentley left a lot out and i had to adapt on the fly I hopping some 740 owners that have done it before can fill in the cracks because it appears way more complicated than whats on paper

My Cars
    1994 740i
    Any 740 owners that have done this got anything bump

My Cars
    1994 740i
    I got my new Unit coming hopefully gonna be here Wednesday. the first part i was sent was a power steering pump most salvage yards I've called don't know what I'm even asking for its frustrating . these asc+t hydro units are hard to come by here in the US seems like a lot of the cars that have survived are going to the crusher after all the easy stuff gets removed. if it was the regular abs pump there are a million out there available please anyone if you have had to replace one of these and have some tips and tricks that will make my life easier please chime in I have Shoguns Instruction and the Bentley maybe I'm Overthinking it But I've never done anything remotely like this and could use advice thanks

My Cars
    1994 740i
    I cant be the only person ever that has had one of these fail on a 740 .I got the correct part in finally. tons of people looked at this thread and only Shogun chimed in .does anyone have any tips or tricks to this job that will make it a little easier to change out this unit it would really help me out thanks I get this done I can finally drive the car
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1994 740i
    since no one but shogun chimed and i had to get it done I went at it on my own . this is not an easy job the manual leaves out a lot it doesn't matter whether you swap out the unit or in my case just try to replace the O ring that was causing my leak you still have to remove most of the stuff pertaining to the brake system because there is just no room and the torx screw on the bottom is blocked im only half way through and dread putting back together if your O ring is bad my only advice when you go to replace it when you remove the three t20 torx have a towel over the unit and eye protection because a significant amount of pressurized chf11s shot out all over the place which was an unpleasant surprise especially since i cracked the bleeder valve and thought i released all the pressure
    Last edited by vr117; 10-04-2020 at 10:27 PM.