E38 with MK4 and DSP, everything "works" but no sound

My 1997 E38 has:
    Mk4 navigation
    C43 radio
    CD changer
    DSP
    TV
    16x9 bordmonitor

Everything was working nicely until one day the sound stopped and the DSP no longer appeared in the menu. I can still tune the radio, see what song is playing, use navigation, watch TV, play a tape, play a CD but none of these generate sound.

I've checked the fuses in the trunk and under the hood, disconnected the battery, replaced the DSP. Could it be the C43 radio? But if it were the radio, would I still be able to tune and change stations?

Help!
    StirlingM5
    Alpina.ca

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Was the DSP amp changed to a known working unit? also, there's different versions of the DSP amp and you need to ensure the one you changed to is compatible with your setup - check part and revision numbers here. It's possible to re-code the DSP amp on some versions so if it was from an E53 X5, it can be re-coded to be an 'E39' one. You'll need to search through forum posts and how to posts for this. Next, change the radio unit to a 100% known working one and retry, you'll need to check the speaker connection wiring to ensure all are still connected properly etc, check the wiring loom for any cuts/continuity issues.

Once you find out which module(s) are causing the issue, you can see if they can be repaired, or to replace with other used, working units and hope that they continue to work!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E38 L7, E93 335is
    Thanks Dennis,
    I choose a newer DSP with a part number that supplanted what was originally in my car, according to RealOEM. I haven't had it coded to my car yet but my understanding is you get 30 seconds of operation before it shuts down due to being mis-coded. I'm getting zero seconds of operation. I hope my understanding here is correct.

Is there a way to get sound without having the DSP in place, since not all E38s have DSP?
    StirlingM5
    Alpina.ca

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You'll need to cross reference the part number and check the compatibility by cross referencing some of the historic posts about the DSP amp/coding it etc. Depending on the year of your car and/or the retrofitted modules (97 model year is 3+ years prior to the widescreen existing), there's specific amps that will work. The reason an amp will shut down after 30 seconds is when its not receiving the signal from the other modules to 'remain on'. As you aren't even having it switch on, you firstly need to ensure you get/have the right amplifier unit.

You could omit the DSP amp, but then the OEM DSP speakers will need to be changed out too as they're optimized to the OEM DSP amp.

Overall, what's happening is that you're finding that the audio modules are very old now and failing due to age/use/fatigue. You may well find another compatible DSP amp, but then it 'might' also go kaput a few months later (or it might not!) and if it doesn't, something else on the other modules may give up. Longer term. keeping the OEM setup will cost the most as you fix/repair/upgrade the numerous points of failure on each module.

You could have your existing DSP amp looked at and repaired where possible. The two places I know of capable of working on the DSP amps like this are in Romania and Australia respectively. If they don't find anything wrong, then you'll know somewhere else is the cause of the issue and you'll need to keep troubleshooting till you find out !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E38 L7, E93 335is
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

You could omit the DSP amp, but then the OEM DSP speakers will need to be changed out too as they're optimized to the OEM DSP amp.
    I was hoping not to delete it entirely, just temporarily to help determine if the problem was with the DSP, or with wiring or some other component.

Do you know of a way to bypass the DSP temporarily?
    StirlingM5
    Alpina.ca

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

The system is modular, each one needs to be in place and working for the whole setup to work. This is why you need to find the 'right' modules - part number AND revision number wise that are also known to be 100% working so you can test by swapping in turn by turn.

If it was me, I'd remove all the old OEM audio and either keep in storage or sell off and put in brand new, high quality and reliable aftermarket audio that'll also far outperform the OEM stuff too.

However, I know many BMW owners *must* have oem audio, so you'll need to go through the laborious/time consuming/frustrating experience above to determine what's wrong and then resolve and repeat when the next failure point happens in any of the modules!

Good luck !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E38 L7, E93 335is
    So it turned out to be the C43 radio module. Or at least, when I swap in a different C43 it started working again - for 2 weeks. Now I'm back to the original situation: everything works (including changing bands and inputs, changing stations) and the DSP shows up on the screen, but no sound. Except occasionally, when first turning the radio on, I'll get sound for about 2 seconds.

Could something be 'partially' frying the C43 modules, or did I just get unlucky and swap in a C43 near the end of its life?
    StirlingM5
    Alpina.ca

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Did the sound with the “new“ C43 module all of a sudden “disappear,” or did it degrade over a short period of time? You could remove the cover off the C43s and see if something is fried. That’d give you a clue. Why does BMW make these cars so dang complex?

My Cars
    E38 L7, E93 335is
    Why indeed! And why do they put these things in such inaccessible places.
    The sound disappeared all at once, it didn't degrade. I'll take the cover off and look for signs of a flame out.
    StirlingM5
    Alpina.ca

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

In essence, the modular setups aren't complex as such. They're relatively straightforward in design. It's the passage of time that makes them eventually deteriorate and fail. Considering they're non oily and you don't need special tools etc, then to access them is also quite 'easy' !

In this case, it's quite possible you purchased a working C43 module and it's sods law it's failed quite quickly again putting you back to square one!

Good luck again !

Cheers, Dennis!