Thread: 2007 760Li Starter top starter bolt removal

My Cars
    2002 540i Mtech

SOLVED!: 2007 760Li Starter top starter bolt removal

After starting a major overhaul on the 760li (replacing all the leaky stuff that could leak or fail), i wanted to also remove and inspect the starter. Ive remove just about everything that needs to be removed, but have a very stubborn top E12 bolt that hold down the starter. The bottom one is easy enough to remove the top one is stuck - and im afraid of stripping it. Any one have success removing this and with what set of extensions/tools did you use and from which angle did you remove it from? (in the attached pic its the one i have, the mounts were also shot and i'm replacing those as well...not ideal lift but it worked fine in my case).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by achandra740i; 09-04-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: solution is included

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    That's the way to do it! I did much the same job on mine but left the front bumper bar in place. It helps a lot to be able to stand up close to the motor when reaching in to work on it.
    I also replaced the valley transfer pipe, walnut blasted the intake valves and had the injectors cleaned.

I didn't touch the starter so unfortunately have no advice on that. It's really tucked away in there... I remember it being a chore just to disconnect the wiring harness from it. I've never had an issue with the starter in any of my BMW's.
    Last edited by BMSman; 09-04-2020 at 12:53 AM.

My Cars
    2002 540i Mtech
    Solved! - See my fix below.

Thanks for the encouragement! - I am doing exactly that...planning on Walnut blasting the intake valves - Welcome to Direct injection! @BMSman if you have any tips on closing of the valves to do post up, i bought the blaster two days ago. What'd you do with the valley pipe replace with after market? Is this your site? - http://km5tz.com/ . If so this site helped me SO SO much, and all I can say is that the description for help is phenomenal.

Solution: I actually realized the E12 bolt material is soft. It easily deforms on the threads if you are trying to get some torque on those bolts, and I highly suggest replacing them (at least thats what i am going to do). I actually got it off in an unorthodox way - I went behind the passenger side head and decided to clear away all of the injector harness away from it (since i had most of the other harness cleared any how) - slipped a ratchet wrench with a 3/8 inch socket on it (yeah it fit over the e12) ! It fits over the E12 - and it was snug enough for me to have confidence it it. I then slipped the end of the top "pipe" of my jack handle over it and got enough space and clearance and torque to loosen it. Came right off. Its not perfect but it worked. I've included pictures of the bolt locations and the part i cleared for others that might run into this on an E66. Hope this helps others - in this case definitely paying it forward for the help I've gotten here on other things. IMG-0306.jpgIMG-0304.jpgIMG-0303.jpg

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Yes that is my website... km5tz.com.
    Glad to see you got your bolt out. I completely removed the engine harness to work on mine... it just gets in the way. Also made it easier to re-do the outer insulation where it had hardened.
    With the VVT motors out most of the intake valves are closed but you can rotate the crank to be certain... just watch the cam on the cam follower as you turn.
    I used a set of picks to clear away the carbon from the perimeter of the valves... walnuts get most of it but you will be left with a ring of walnut dust and carbon around the valve close to the valve seat. I gently picked this away and vacuumed it up along with anything else the walnuts missed. Place towels over your engine as the walnuts tend to get everywhere!
    I used an ERO transfer pipe and have not had any issues with it so far, it's a lot less expensive than the AGA solution. You are 90% there so would be a shame not to get this too.
    How many miles are on your car? Mine has 140K but you'd never guess it... it drives nicer than my B7 with 70K. For those of us who don't mind wrenching these are great cars for the $$.
    Last edited by BMSman; 09-05-2020 at 12:02 AM.

My Cars
    2002 540i Mtech
    Hi there @BMSman. Yes the car has 102K miles on it. It wasn’t I think the best taken care of but I am noticing a new stamped parts that have dates ranging from ‘10, ‘13, and even some injectors (2) with ‘19 stamped. But the quality of the work that was done was shoddy and crappy.