I have a 2006 X3 that i’ve recently replaced the head gasket and a few other smaller jobs. I had the car put all back together and running which was a major victory for me. about a week later the lower timing cover gasket started leaking a lot of oil so i tore off the head to get to that leak (i replaces the OFHG too) and eventually got it sealed up and put back together. This time however, the car didn’t start but it had a healthy crank. I noticed when i turned the key to the in position, there was an easily audible pulsing sound for a few seconds that almost seemed like the fuel pump but I can’t be sure.
I sprayed starting fluid in the intake and it ran great for a couple seconds and died so it’s obviously a fuel delivery issue. The biggest problem however was when i tried to plug in my OBD II reader and it got power but wouldn’t sense the car no matter how many different key positions i tried. I checked fuel pressure at the rail with a screwdriver and there’s definitely pressure but it does not seem like enough (isn’t it supposed to be 50psi?).
Before i look to replace any fuel components, should i be worried about an ECU related issue? i’m a senior in high school but i’m no stranger to engine problems. This is the first car i’ve worked of that was made after 2000 and this electrical system has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk