Thread: Convertible top and front windows disconnect problem - PLEASE HELP

My Cars
    325i convertible

Convertible top and front windows disconnect problem - PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP

I have a 2012 325i hardtop convertible and I'm having a problem with the top and it's somehow related to the front windows.

The problem: when I hold the button to open the top, only the 2 back windows go down, the top unlatches but the top does not move and the front windows do not go down. When I hold the button to close the top (supposedly), the top relatches and the rear windows go up.

What works: If I manually lower the front windows an inch or more first, then hold the button for the top to go down, it works - the back windows go down and the top opens. The same happens in reverse. When I need to close the top, I must manually lower the front windows, then hold the button to close the top, the back windows come up. Then, I need to manually close the front windows.

What I've tried so far:
    1. I've checked all the fuses for the top and the front windows. None of the fuses are blown.
    2. Resetting by putting the key in the ignition and pushing the starter button 3 times (without my foot on the brake and not starting the car).
    3. Lowered all 4 windows, then used the metal key in the door handle turned toward the rear of the car and holding it to reset the windows. Only the 2 rear windows go up.

Any help or suggestions are deeply appreciated. Much thanks.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Holding the top button while the top is moving is normal operation. I have to hold (now I need to test that) the button for the entire time that the top is moving, both raising and lowering.

But, I think you're right in thinking you have trouble with the windows. The windows, all 4 of them, should lower about half way so they are not in the way of the roof. They don't need to lower as much as they do, but mine go down about half way, maybe 1/3.

I think that your problem is limited to only the front windows are not talking to the roof control. Your windows all work, no blown fuses. But there should be a signal from the roof module that lowers the windows before the roof begins moving, then raises the windows when the roof gets to wherever it's going. I'm not sure if the windows go up when the roof is lowered -- what's the point of lowering the roof then putting the windows up? I will put my windows up with the roof down to cut the wind/noise on the freeway, but if I was engineering team, I would not make it part of the programming to raise the windows after the roof goes into the. But, no matter what, if the roof is moving up or down, the front windows should get out of the way, and if the roof is being raised then the front windows should come up at the same time as the rear windows.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check for faults

My Cars
    325i convertible
    You're right on all counts. I don't think it's a roof problem; something with the front windows. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Check for faults
    Could you be more specific, please? This problem is vexing!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    You are not having a fuse problem because the windows and top work. It's not right that you have to lower the windows, but since you can lower them then the fuse is not the problem.

My Cars
    325i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Check for faults
    Please elaborate on what faults to check and how to check them.
    Much thanks!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Check for faults in the frm module foot well module

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldur&Bryn View Post
    PLEASE HELP

I have a 2012 325i hardtop convertible

FOR FUTURE REFERENCE
    You have a 2012 E93.

Sometimes it's important that you have the 328 (N51 or N52) engine, or the 335 (N54 or N55) engine. Since you have the 328, you will not have the N54/55, you only have the N51/52. You can plug the last 7 digits of your VIN into www.realoem.com, it will tell you which motor you have. Basically, the N51 has a sealed fuel system that changes your entire universe if you need a fuel pump, most or the rest of the engine is the same. The N52 has a fuel delivery system that allows the fuel pump to be replaced without emptying your 401(k).