eBMWParts

Thread: E36 M3 Shock replacement

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

E36 M3 Shock replacement

Hey everyone

My e36 has some pretty worn out front shocks, so looking at what I can do to replace them. I know my two options are to run either coil overs or go oem/aftermarket on the shocks.

Currently I’ve got H&R I believe sport springs for lowering. I was considering going oem in front struts for several reasons (heard lots of comments bilstein runs stiff, and I don’t want to do the mods required for konis.

I was curious does anyone know how oem shocks will run with lowering springs? I haven’t been able to find much other than some people have noted it won’t last as long with the shorter/stiffer spring.

I don’t really plan to track the car or adjust suspension, so I wasn’t leaning towards coil overs, I really just would like a car that’s still pretty comfortable to drive. Car currently has dinan strut bar on front and rear and some brand of front caster plates (not sure what or how to tell, so happy to hear guidance here too).

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    99 M3

E36 M3 Shock replacement

Are you running the OE shocks on ‘sport’ springs? YIKES!!
    FYI - Sachs is/was the OE supplier and you can easily find them as OEM replacements.

The issue with OE length shock shafts on ‘sport’ springs, is the potential bottoming of the shock shaft internally which is generally a harsh stop, and not good for the strut/shock towers. This is especially true for the rear shock towers.
    Coil bind by comparison is a much softer less common occurrence when running ‘sport’ (shortened shaft) struts/shocks and ‘sport’ springs.

The Koni E36 “Cut-and-Gut” or “Cut-a-Strut” (in Koni parlance) process is not that difficult. Generally, only requires a drill motor and a cut off tool.
    I use a Leslie 31500 and cut the OE strut casing just below the crimp bends on the upper end of the casing. I also seal the top of the casing to the Koni insert with a couple of wraps of electrical tape and reuse the factory plastic ‘cap’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 09-01-2020 at 07:40 PM.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    I've been on super expensive Ground Control Coilovers and I still find my way back to Bilstein Sports Structs/Shocks and H&R Sport Springs. They are super easy to install and in my opinion provide the perfect balance between stiff and daily driving

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    I've been on super expensive Ground Control Coilovers and I still find my way back to Bilstein Sports Structs/Shocks and H&R Sport Springs. They are super easy to install and in my opinion provide the perfect balance between stiff and daily driving
    LOL!!! I was under the impression that the GC ‘package’ came fully assembled and rebound adjusted based on the spring rates ordered. Installation could not get more simple. No spring compressor required for disassembly/assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    LOL!!! I was under the impression that the GC ‘package’ came fully assembled and rebound adjusted based on the spring rates ordered. Installation could not get more simple. No spring compressor required for disassembly/assembly.
    Oh yeah they do as well, installation is the same if not easier to Bilsteins. I was more referring to Koni Cut and Gut.