Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E31 inpa/ads

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

E31 inpa/ads

Hi everyone, I just built a Windows XP laptop with an ADS interface to read error codes in my e31. Specifically I am trying to read an ABS error (my SRS light suddenly can on).

I am able to ready a lot of modules except the DME,EML and even the Airbag module. I am attaching the error code while reading the airbag module and also samples of models I am able to read. I am however able to read the DME and EML with a foxwell scanner to not worried about them for now.

I am using the install from “Mike’s easy bmw tools” and using this ADS interface

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254493163078

Any pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ========
    91 850i 6-speed, 2018 M550 - wife mobile, Lexus GX460 - Family mobile

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by akatoch View Post
    Specifically I am trying to read an ABS error (my SRS light suddenly can on).
    Are you trying to read an ABS error or a SRS error? They're two different modules. I'm currently rewriting and modifying INPA, and so I have a huge list of modules for each chassis. If you tell me exactly which module you're trying to talk to, I can tell you which INPA script file to use.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Sorry I mistyped, I am trying to read the Airbag (SRS) error.

========

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Sorry I mistyped, I am trying to read the Airbag (SRS) error.
    No problem. I'll make you a list of all the *.prg, *.grp and *.ipo files that are relevant to your car.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Wow, thanks man!

========

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by FAL View Post
    No problem. I'll make you a list of all the *.prg, *.grp and *.ipo files that are relevant to your car.
    I'd like a copy of that too please
    Last edited by cartoonz; 08-31-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    I started doing the list and then thought that it might actually be easier to just modify the E31 INPA menu, to include the updated and additional script files. That way, I can just upload the new *.ipo, *.prg, *.grp and menu files and you guys aren't hunting around in folders, looking for files!

E31s are extremely rare here in the United Kingdom, so I might need some assistance from you guys that own them. All of the updates and modifications that I have made are based on the available engineering data and years of Ediabas investigation on my part (nearly 20 years now... ), but I can't be 100% certain that the odd, rare module isn't missing. Any and all feedback is welcome!

I hope that is okay?

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Absolutely, our cars are “community maintained” cars. So we all need to do our part in sharing information and testing etc, let me know how I can help. And big thank you to you for your assistance.

Thanks!

========

My Cars
    BMW 850I 1992
    Hi I'd like a copy of that file for my e31. Also share with you this old thread with drivers for EGS and read BOTH DME at the same time for our cars. I Can't connect to EGS using easy DIS 44, so maybe i'm doing something wrong. But the DME L & R using Inpa & DIS work for me.When try DME Both at the same time not. FAL hope this files help you in this project for our E31 community
    Thank in advance for your effort
    JC 850

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-dll-for-4HP24
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ut-EWS-working

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    So we all need to do our part in sharing information and testing etc, let me know how I can help. And big thank you to you for your assistance. Thanks!
    No problem at all, you're very welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by JC 850 View Post
    I can't connect to EGS using easy DIS 44, so maybe i'm doing something wrong. But the DME L & R using Inpa & DIS work for me. When try DME Both at the same time not. FAL hope this files help you in this project for our E31 community. Thank in advance for your effort.
    As far as i know, the ads32.dll E31 gearbox problem in DIS, shouldn't effect us when using INPA. Admittedly, my experience of DIS is limited because i never liked it and only ever really stole *.prg and *.grp data files from it (these files are cross compatible between DIS which is a Unix operating system and INPA which is a Windows 32bit operating system, obviously... ). The problem of some early cars not using EWS with the DME 1.7 engine management system will definitely affect us. I'm happy to incorporate the special script file written by guest, if anyone has a copy of it? ...and as long as he is happy for me to do so? (A few years ago i wrote a modified engine management file for E46 owners without EWS, and i appreciate the effort he has put into it, thus i wouldn't wish to upset him!).

...so, i don't wish to bore anyone, but i've had some free time today and have made quite good progress. I think the revised and updated E31 menu and the associated files are about 80% complete. There is a problem with script file for the left-hand ("Slave") engine ECU, on the 850Ci with the M73B54. Under certain circumstances, INPA (well, technically Ediabas) is looking for the wrong *.prg file and gets itself into a bit of a "muddle". As far as i know, these old script files where all hand-written and manually checked by "eye", and so i will be re-writing this. I've written some custom/unique script files for the E31 in the C/C++ programming language, which will make the selection menu simpler and more user friendly. If you look at the menu coding sample below, you'll see that for example the gearbox selection now simply says "Gearbox Aut-EGS". Instead of having to manually workout or guess which script file is correct for your car, INPA (well, technically Ediabas) will quickly perform a "challenge/response" test on your gearbox ECU and after a few seconds, will automatically select the correct script file. I have done this for engine management ECUs, electronic throttle ECUs (including the adaption process), gearbox ECUs and anti-lock brake ECUs (including active stability control and dynamic stability control).

Code:
    ENTRY=         E31_Throttle,Electronic Throttle          Aut-EML,
    ENTRY=E31_Throttle_Adaption,Electronic Throttle Adaption Aut-EML,
    [ROOT_E31_GETRIEBE]
    DESCRIPTION=Transmission
    ENTRY=          E31_Gearbox,Gearbox                      Aut-EGS,
    [ROOT_E31_FAHRWERK]
    DESCRIPTION=Chassis
    ENTRY=              E31_ABS,ABS/ASC/DSC                  Aut-ABS,
    ENTRY=         AHK_v1.15_DM,Rear Axle Kinematics (German)    AHK,
    ENTRY=      SAHKET_v1.40_DM,Rear Axle Bleed (German)         AHK,
    ENTRY=         EDC_v3.13_EM,Electronic Damper Control        EDC,
    I do have a few questions, that hopefully some of you E31 owners might be able to answer:
    1. Are all of the E31 engine ECUs affected by the "EWS and non-EWS" problem?
    2. Does the 850CSi with the S70B56, definitely use the Bosch DME 1.7? Information appears to be a scarce.
    3. Is the "IRIS" infrared locking system used on the E31? Some literature says it is and some says it isn't.

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    ...oh, and I'm assuming that most of you gentleman who are working on the E31 chassis, are using some version of the ADS interface? I'm using a very old Softing EDICpci and a fairly modern Actia ICOM, on the older chassis (because they offer L-line "wake-up" and I don't have an ADS). I just want to get an idea of what hardware requirements people have.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i

E31 inpa/ads

I am using an ADS interface.

I don’t have the information to answer your other 3 questions.

Last edited by akatoch; 09-07-2020 at 08:32 PM.
    ========

My Cars
    BMW 850I 1992
    I'm using ADS interface with serial port on a dell laptop Ediabas 6.4.3 and DIS 44 by fister. I don't see the EGS option for M70 in my Ediabas setup it will be excellent see it.
    FAL you are right EDIABAS is user friendly for read fault codes and actual values with engine running.
    1. Most early M70 with the EWS and none EWS with the issue for reading DME like me and Akatoch.
    2. In that tread EWS Link above there is member with 94 CSI that confirm reading DME with Inpa/Ediabas after download the Quest script.
    3. My car doesn't have IRIS.
    Hope this help

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    I am using an ADS interface. I don’t have the information to answer your other 3 questions.
    Thank you. That's fine. I'm not expecting everyone to have all, the answers. I'm just a firm believer that we can never ask too many questions.
    I'm using ADS interface with serial port on a dell laptop Ediabas 6.4.3 and DIS 44 by fister. I don't see the EGS option for M70 in my Ediabas setup it will be excellent see it.
    FAL you are right EDIABAS is user friendly for read fault codes and actual values with engine running.
    1. Most early M70 with the EWS and none EWS with the issue for reading DME like me and Akatoch.
    2. In that tread EWS Link above there is member with 94 CSI that confirm reading DME with Inpa/Ediabas after download the Quest script.
    3. My car doesn't have IRIS.
    Hope this help
    Thank you! Yes, the Ediabas server and it's graphical user interface programmes like INPA, are engineering tools (not dealership tools like DIS and ISTA) and very powerful. Because they're engineering tools, they can apear very difficult to use (and very basic to look at), but once you become confident with them they really are extremely useful.

If anyone has any questions about Ediabas, INPA and the other related software tools, then I'm happy to try and answer them! (I would never call myself an "expert"! I'm not a BMW master tech or engineer, but I spent many years working at a small but famous British car company, doing diagnostics, encoding and flash-programming. A lot of the skills and knowledge are transferable, and I've been using Ediabas/INPA part-time for nearly 20 years now.)

My Cars
    2009 X5 35d, 2000 328 i
    Yes I've got a 2009 X5 diesel and where should I get EDIABAS/INPA and how hard would it be to prime the HPFP through the software? I've replaced it and have tried Ignition On a few times throughout the hour but will not turn over. Thanks

Thank you. That's fine. I'm not expecting everyone to have all, the answers. I'm just a firm believer that we can never ask too many questions.
    Thank you! Yes, the Ediabas server and it's graphical user interface programmes like INPA, are engineering tools (not dealership tools like DIS and ISTA) and very powerful. Because they're engineering tools, they can apear very difficult to use (and very basic to look at), but once you become confident with them they really are extremely useful.

If anyone has any questions about Ediabas, INPA and the other related software tools, then I'm happy to try and answer them! (I would never call myself an "expert"! I'm not a BMW master tech or engineer, but I spent many years working at a small but famous British car company, doing diagnostics, encoding and flash-programming. A lot of the skills and knowledge are transferable, and I've been using Ediabas/INPA part-time for nearly 20 years now.)

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bluefish7 View Post
    Yes I've got a 2009 X5 diesel and where should I get EDIABAS/INPA and how hard would it be to prime the HPFP through the software? I've replaced it and have tried Ignition On a few times throughout the hour but will not turn over. Thanks
    Start a new post and I will help you on there...

- - - Updated - - -

Just to keep you E31 guys updated: I'm still working on this. I've discovered a couple of bugs that I'm working through, but it should be done soon!

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Start a new post and I will help you on there...

- - - Updated - - -

Just to keep you E31 guys updated: I'm still working on this. I've discovered a couple of bugs that I'm working through, but it should be done soon!
    Awesome thanks! Looking forward to it.

========

My Cars
    1970 BMW 2002, 1985 M635
    Sorry to Hijack. I'm trying to put together a computer to test the AHK (rear wheel steering) on a 1993 850CSI. Can someone confirm if this is the correct pinout for the plug, to then go to an OBD to DB9?
    458896a7d86ce223800297f1d8a68283.jpg

Then Win XP, VM Workstation 6.5.3, INPA/Edibias 6.4.3, and EASY DIS 44 installed per the guides on here?

Thank you!
    Last edited by 94530inh; 10-21-2020 at 08:42 PM.
    1994 530iA

My Cars
    BMW 850I 1992
    Hi 94530inh

If your car have the pin 15 on your BMW 20 pin. Then don't waste your money and time with OBD 16 to BMW 20 won't work because your car is pre OBD, only work with ADS interface like TINY or DO IT auto. All you need is TINY ADS , you can find how to order from this forum. Hope this help.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    All you need is TINY ADS , you can find how to order from this forum. Hope this help.
    Yes stand alone ADS interface is what is required, the chinese OBD/ADS joint unit probably don't work. Tiny ADS is all sold out, according to their web page.

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Sorry for not replying sooner or being on here for a while (due to family problems). I'm still working on this E31 project and hope to have it finished within the next couple of weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 94530inh View Post
    Sorry to Hijack. I'm trying to put together a computer to test the AHK (rear wheel steering) on a 1993 850CSI. Can someone confirm if this is the correct pinout for the plug, to then go to an OBD to DB9?
    458896a7d86ce223800297f1d8a68283.jpg

Then Win XP, VM Workstation 6.5.3, INPA/Edibias 6.4.3, and EASY DIS 44 installed per the guides on here?

Thank you!
    As others have mentioned, the "L-Line" is critical. The "L-line" is used to "wake-up" the AHK ECU and the "K-Line" is then used for bi-directional communication. If you're interested in the AHK, I do have some special INPA files for testing it, which I will upload.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Sorry for not replying sooner or being on here for a while (due to family problems). I'm still working on this E31 project and hope to have it finished within the next couple of weeks.
    Thanks, much appreciated!
    ========

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport

Download the zip file, extract the contents and add them to your matching folders in INPA. In the menus, you will notice some descriptions contain "(D)" and "Aut-***". "(D)" means that the file is in German, because no English file exists. "Aut-***" means that I have written a special *.ips script selection file, that queries the ECU and automatically selects the best *.ipo script file for that particular ECU variant. As I have said before, I don't have access to an E31 and so this is based on BMW technical literature and research. If anyone finds any errors and/or emissions, then please report back.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_as...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by FAL; 02-12-2021 at 04:46 AM. Reason: New Upload Link

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Thanks, I will give this a run this week!

========

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Hi, I tried to use this, after getting through the menu when I get to running the test I get a script compile error.

Any ideas on how to get past this?

Thanks!

========

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast