Thread: Coding 530i after AT-MT Swap

My Cars
    2004 330Ci

DIY: Coding 530i after AT->MT Swap

I recently helped a fellow forum member code his 12/2000 530i after a 5-speed manual transmission swap was done and thought it might be nice to have all this in one place. The information is out there, but seems to be scattered about. I'd like to invite the more experienced folks to review/comment/correct this and I'll curate it all in this first post.

The basic process is changing the ZCS in both the cluster (called IKE or KMB) and EWS modules, then code the entire car (all modules) with this new configuration.

Preparation:

1. Have a K+DCAN cable and BMW Standard Tools installed on a Windows laptop
    2. Remove EGS module from car
    3. Wire up clutch and cruise control switches
    4. Wire up the brake light switch
    5. Enter the car's last 7 VIN digits (mine are CH93951) on realoem.com to find the Type Code: DT63
    6. Change the selection from AT to MT and get that type code: DT53
    7. Open this file C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E39ZST.000 and search for both type codes and compare them
    8. Their difference is the change required to the GM part of the ZCS to convert car's coding from AT to MT

INPA Check:

1. Make sure we can access IKE, DME, ABS, EWS, GM5 without issues
    2. Might be good to check that the IKE and EWS have the correct VIN for the car

Load ZCS from KMB into NCS Expert:

1. Start NCS Expert
    2. In the top menu: click File, Load Profile, Expert Mode, OK
    3. Click the VIN/ZCS/FA (F1) button
    4. Click the ZCS/FA f. ECU (F3) button
    5. Click E39, OK
    6. Click KMB (or IKE), OK
    7. Check that the displayed ZCS fields are correct. You can compare these with values shown in INPA under the IKE or EWS

Modify ZCS in KMB to remove AT option:

1. Click the Enter ZCS (F1) button
    2. Click E39, click OK
    3. Verify the displayed VIN is correct, there is a checksum digit at the end, click OK
    4. Edit the desired ZCS field, for example: in an E39 AT->MT swap, change the third digit (from left) of the GM field from 6 to 5
    5. Remove the last (checksum) character on the right from the GM, SA, and VN fields, check the Calculate checksum box, OK
    6. Click Back (F6) button
    7. Click the Process ECU (F3) button
    8. Click the module to code (IKE or KMB for cluster), OK
    9. Click the Change Job (F2) button, click ZCS_SCHREIBEN, OK
    10. Verify the ECU and job about to be performed, you don't want to code the wrong thing!
    11. Click the Execute job (F3) button
    12. Wait for the Coding ended status to be displayed

Modify ZCS in EWS to remove AT option

1. Click the Change ECU (F1) button
    2. Click EWS, OK
    3. Click the Execute job (F3) button
    4. Wait for the Coding ended status displayed
    5. Close NCS Expert

Load new ZCS from KMB into NCS Expert:

1. Start NCS Expert
    2. In the top menu: click File, Load Profile, Factory Coding, OK
    3. Click the VIN/ZCS/FA (F1) button
    4. Click the ZCS/FA f. ECU (F3) button
    5. Click E39, OK
    6. Click KMB (or IKE), OK

Code all modules with new configuration

1. Verify that all ECUs are listed under Get coded and JOBNAME = SG_CODIEREN
    2. Click the Process Car (F3) button
    3. Click the Code Car (F1) button
    4. Wait for all modules to be coded, it will take several minutes, you will see each module being coded
    5. Close NCS Expert

Remove the key from the ignition for like 5 seconds to cycle power

Clean up:

1. Start INPA
    2. Clear DME adaptations: E39, Engine, MS43, F4 Error, F7 erasing adaptation, F8 adaption Variants clearing
    3. Clear trouble codes in all major modules (DME, ABS, EWS, etc.)

Start your engine and drive away happy...
    Last edited by balidawg; 12-25-2020 at 10:03 AM.

My Cars
    2001 530i
    very nice!!! Thanks for your help! This writeup is great and I really appreciate you helping me out on the phone as well!

My Cars
    2003 530it, 2017 x5 50i
    Great information- Thanks again for all your help with my wagon swap! It was great to be able to follow along and learn a thing or two. Awesome contribution to the community.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by balidawg View Post
    I
    Preparation:

3. Wire up the clutch switch
    4. Wire up the brake light switch......

Excellent post...I would suggest you modify #3 to "Wire up clutch and cruise switches"

There are two types of switch arrangements on the E39 clutch pedal. The older style has a separate switches for cruise control and clutch safety (no start without clutch depressed). The new style switch has the same number of wires (4) but is a single, hall-style switch, which serves both functions.

Clutch safety has to be wired in or the car won't start - although it is possible to code this feature off with NCS like the cars in Europe
    Cruise needs to be wired in because if you don't you might have a rev hang between shifts like I did.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    I would suggest you modify #3 to "Wire up clutch and cruise switches"
    Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

My Cars
    E36
    Hello
    I need a dme from a 328i flash to a 530xi dme

My Cars
    E36

Dme flash/ reprogram

Hello
    I need a dme from a 328i flash to a 530xi dme

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    I recently helped a fellow forum member code his 12/2000 530i after a 5-speed manual transmission swap was done and thought it might be nice to have all this in one place. The information is out there, but seems to be scattered about. I'd like to invite the more experienced folks to review/comment/correct this and I'll curate it all in this first post.

The basic process is changing the ZCS in both the cluster (called IKE or KMB) and EWS modules, then code the entire car (all modules) with this new configuration.

Preparation:

3. Wire up clutch and cruise control switches
    4. Wire up the brake light switch
    5. Enter the car's last 7 VIN digits (mine are CH93951) on realoem.com to find the Type Code: DT63
    6. Change the selection from AT to MT and get that type code: DT53
    7. Open this file C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E39ZST.000 and search for both type codes and compare them
    8. Their difference is the change required to the GM part of the ZCS to convert car's coding from AT to MT

INPA Check:

1. Make sure we can access IKE, DME, ABS, EWS, GM5 without issues
    2. Might be good to check that the IKE and EWS have the correct VIN for the car

Load ZCS from KMB into NCS Expert:

[LIST=1][*]Start NCS Expert[*]In the top menu: click File, Load Profile, Expert Mode, OK[*]Click the VIN/ZCS/FA (F1) button[*]Click the ZCS/FA f. ECU (F3) button[*]Click E39, OK[*]Click KMB (or IKE), OK[*]Check that the displayed ZCS fields are correct. You can compare these with values shown in INPA under the IKE or EWS

hey there i am currently swapping my 99 528i (10/98 built) and i am on the stage of coding… i am relatively new to all of this and was having issues today when coding. when trying to actually load the zcs strings from the kmb.
    After selecting e39 and trying KMB this error popped up. I tried doing Ike and again same error. Is this normal? I do remember it showing a option to check the zcs string or something so i clicked on it to see if i could verify them using INPA( as described) but it was asking for vin when i clicked on it. I saw you said to verify the displayed vim was correct but it never showed me one and instead asked me to enter a vin. I was not sure what to enter here so just exited out and began to close the programs to do more research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Hey there the last post on here was my fault. I had INPA open while trying to use NCS expert. i finished all of the coding and when finishing i got a error while it was rewriting the lcm i believe. Is this an issue can i continue to close ncs or is there something i need to fix ?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty39 View Post
    when finishing i got a error while it was rewriting the lcm
    It is fine.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

Coding 530i after AT-MT Swap

[mention]balidawg [/mention] so i am good to continue with coding. aka step 5. close ncs expert ( of code all modules with new configuration)?

Last edited by dirty39; 01-24-2023 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Yes, of course. Did you code all the modules (code car)?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Also what do you mean by clear dme adaptations? can you walk me through that real quick?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Yes, of course. Did you code all the modules (code car)?
    it gave a list of modules to code and then when i clicked code car it showed each module get codes. I saw kmb was the last one to code before it got stuck at lcm. everything else seemed to have coded finely.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

Coding 530i after AT-MT Swap

[mention]balidawg [/mention] sorry i dont need you to walk me through didn realize you included all into 1 step. my car is a 1999 built (10/98) would i select ms42 instead of ms43?i believe thats my dme.

editing this because again my mistake for the dumb questions. obviously should have chose ms42 because it had m52 next to it and i have m52 not m54 which was next to ms43.

anyways i finished the coding. thanks for the help. im not going to start rhe car tonight since i want to atleast put the exhaust back on but i believe its all good to go!!

Last edited by dirty39; 01-24-2023 at 08:59 PM.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Hey I had completed the coding for car last night and I am wanting to start the car up today. I was told in the past that coding out the clutch switches on these cars is actually recommended. Not sure why exactly maybe since i am using clutch switch off a 02 525. But if this is actually recommended then ill do it, could you walk me through coding it out?

other then that my car is just about ready just need to sort a issue with the clutch not engaging… and then should be good to drive!

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Hey there i believe the car is coded properly. theres no gear indicator on dash and the reverse lights go on when i throw the trans into reverse. However there is no crank at all. I think i may have accidentally put in theft mode or something trying to start before coding… Any idea on a way to fix this?

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    Hey OP, I saw on another post that you have PMs turned off, so hoping to catch you here. I've got my car in Maximabello's shop right now, about done with my swap. I'm coming up on a deadline and feeling a bit nervous about coding on my own. Curious if you're available to remote in and help sometime in the next week or so. Thanks!

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckesteeze View Post
    Hey OP, I saw on another post that you have PMs turned off, so hoping to catch you here. I've got my car in Maximabello's shop right now, about done with my swap. I'm coming up on a deadline and feeling a bit nervous about coding on my own. Curious if you're available to remote in and help sometime in the next week or so. Thanks!
    Yes, my PMs are turned off becaue I am no longer active on this forum.
    Just follow my guide, it is simple.

My Cars
    2001 530i bmw
    Thank you very much for this write up. You're doing a great golden one went pretty smooth for me. Using your guidance, thank you.