Thread: Tailgate sound insulation

My Cars
    540i + 528iT

Tailgate sound insulation

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience with the tailgate sound insulation?

I took the trim off to get to the lights and the sound insulation mat fell apart. I mean literally turned to dust.

I'm talking this part:

Now, I can find a replacement in Aus. I can either wait and try to ship over, but the cost will be excessive.

Will standard butyl sheets do the job?

While I'm at it...any tips for getting the trim back onto the tailgate without a helper?

Mine keeps falling out before I can get the screws in.

My Cars
    2001 540iT
    Any sound deadening insulation will work. Dynamat? There's other brands just call a car audio shop or look online

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Butyl is the sticky rubber goo used to hold the vapor barrier / insulation in. The barriers themselves are foam ? I think.

You can try and find some thin foam sheet and cut to fit. Dynamat May work but it might also add weight to the hatch and make it tougher to stay open (particularly if you have worn struts)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Snotty says PLUS 1 to Scotty. Dynamite is heavy, so if you feel you have to use the stuff, get the Dynamat Lite, about half the weight of the regular stuff.Really, you don’t need the stuff as the whole idea about Dynamat is to weigh down the huge panels of steel or aluminum, to keep it from reverberating, mainly for high end audio, although, it will muffle out road noise too. But the main concern is the weight. Perfectly fine when the tailgate struts are in good shape. All you need is a good dense foam cut to shape. I just replaced the old foam on my green wagon about a year ago. Really didn’t replace it, it was still good, so I doubled it up with the new one, stuffed dense rubber foam in the open nooks and crannies, here and there. It did help get rid of a lot of road noise, what really helped a lot was replacing the tailgate gasket with a new one.
    What I need to get are those corner rubber baskets that go on the bottom corners of the tailgates door well, kinda sit on the rear bumper. They’re only like $25 or so a piece.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    540i + 528iT
    Yeah, I didn't really think of the weight. The OEM stuff is very light.

I was thinking of Butyl sheets like this:
    https://www.amazon.com.au/deadening-.../dp/B00URUIKAK

But, yes, my tailgate struts aren't great, so I should keep weight to a minimum.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6

Tailgate sound insulation

Looks like butyl backed foil of some kind? Maybe worth a try... Cleanup might be a disaster if it doesn’t work as hoped though. That looks to be a comp to dynamat so could also weigh a lot.

You could try and talk to some custom car audio shops to see if they have recommendations

Last edited by scottieducati; 08-26-2020 at 07:25 PM.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I used Fatmat under the rear deck of my sedan. Similar to Dynamat but less expensive and not as heavy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TU6066...ing=UTF8&psc=1

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    He’s in Australia - choices will be different.

My Cars
    99 528iTA
    The later years seem to use a better material. My 1999 foam is dust in the wind but I got one out of a 2002 and it is in much better shape.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    Really depends on climate and such too. A car left out in the sun a lot is gonna have crappy foam and plastic.

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    I picked one up from FCP. Took a few weeks to get here but it was around $50. Still in the box haven’t installed yet.

My Cars
    540i + 528iT
    Thanks guys,

I'll look at picking up a similar type of foam mat somewhere and; if I can't find anything, I guess I will just have to fork out for the OEM mat from FCP or a similar supplier.

Back to my second question. Does anyone have any advice on getting the trim back on? Mine is driving me crazy as it keeps falling out before I can get the screws in.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Just man up and have the screws ready on hand. I’ve done it many times without any help, you can do it. Hold the piece up on location, one hand, with the other hand, screwdriver holding the screw, screw it in on one corner, then the next. Once you get two or three in, you can relax your other arm. If thats too much for you, use a prop, like an adjustable rod to stand on the ground, or a small table, other end holds the piece for you, get creative, no? Sucker a friend over, make him, or her useful. By the way, the oem foam was only about 1/4” or 3/8” thick.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2011 750Lix M sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bmchuckleyou View Post
    Thanks guys,

I'll look at picking up a similar type of foam mat somewhere and; if I can't find anything, I guess I will just have to fork out for the OEM mat from FCP or a similar supplier.

Back to my second question. Does anyone have any advice on getting the trim back on? Mine is driving me crazy as it keeps falling out before I can get the screws in.
    Are the plastic push pins in place which hold it in until you can get the screws in? Similar to the ones in the door panels? Also when I did mine I took the tool tray out thereby reducing the weight pretty simple process. Hope that helps…

My Cars
    540i + 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Just man up...... Sucker a friend over, make him, or her useful.
    Best advice on Bimmerforums. Johnny Lawrence, is that you? Hahaha

Thanks for the actual advice, btw.