Thread: Another M50 turbo question

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E28

Another M50 turbo question

I really apologise, but I did have a read through the stickys and pinned threads, and sort of found what I'm after, but not. Internet is also conflicting and alot is 8 plus years old

It's a simple one...
    M50b25tu, Hx35, stock thickness new headgasket with studs. Will it be fine on 10psi on 98ron fuel. I have a good tuner, and it's going to be conservative as I'm limited by the gearbox at the moment. Not a daily, weekend car only. No racing, drifting etc, Just a Cruiser.

To get the cutring from CES is about 1100 aud shipped, so not cheap at all, and I think overkill for what I want. MLS are available here, but around 500aud, and my same thoughts on overkill.

Not interested in E85.
    I'm in Australia, so the fuel is different to you guys I think? 98 is our highest, you can get 100 but it's a pain to get. Race fuel available obviously.

Cheers.

My Cars
    Thrashmobile
    Hi
    Also from AUS - Brissie

Our fuel uses RON whereas the North America uses MON. (Edit: AKI, not MON)

Based on the current exchange rate, the CES Cutring should be 400-420 AUD excl. shipping. So by what you say there's about 500-600 in shipping. Have you been in contact with CES to confirm shipping costs?

Whenever I get parts from the US its like $150 total. Including shipping a head gasket with other parts.

Would be interested to see if you've been quoted this rate. Maybe the 'rona has impacted freight costs by this much.. i don't know.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ethirtyth0r; 08-25-2020 at 09:00 AM.

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E28
    I forgot to mention I priced that when I needed the head studs too. Now only need gasket and spacer so it's a bit cheaper. John said shipping was 85 usd. So gasket, spacer and shipping is around 780 aud.

My Cars
    Thrashmobile
    Sorry I didn't realise you were going for the spacer. The costs make much more sense.

I think there's been a number of stock "refreshed" builds on here to indicate that within reason it should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E28
    Yeah I keep finding different answers on boost levels. Some say 10psi is fine just with studs, some have ran 12 to 14 on the same. And then there is the internet backyard builds that say a whole different story.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by matt297 View Post
    Yeah I keep finding different answers on boost levels. Some say 10psi is fine just with studs, some have ran 12 to 14 on the same. And then there is the internet backyard builds that say a whole different story.
    That's because there is no one size fits all - stock gasket can hold as long as you don't have any detonation and it's in good shape, along with your head and block.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by matt297 View Post
    I run 10-12 psi on Pump 93/meth running 11.5:1 CR with studs and a stock head gasket.

Personally, I have never understood why everyone lowers compression, especially when they just want to run a modest boost level. you may have better performance keeping the stock CR running a lower boost level, then adding a spacer which has to lower the efficiency due to increase quench area. The Tune is key, no mater what combo you run.
    WOT

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    Matt, like we spoke about on FB. You'll get away with a stock HG, or just buy the cutring but forget about the spacer for only 10 psi boost. I'd just do it right the first time and go the cutring and ARP studs, then set and forget.

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E28
    Quote Originally Posted by dominator293 View Post
    Matt, like we spoke about on FB. You'll get away with a stock HG, or just buy the cutring but forget about the spacer for only 10 psi boost. I'd just do it right the first time and go the cutring and ARP studs, then set and forget.

We spoke on facebook? Jeez i must have a bad memory. Anyway, thankyou. I went with the Stock Elring and Studs.