Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced Steering Rack

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5

Replaced Steering Rack

1998 M3/4/5

Rack was leaking so I replaced it with a rebuilt unit from the Rack Doctor. Also installed new outer tie rods/ball joints. I thought I had measured everything but the alignment is off. I’m hoping that it’s either air in the system and/or the poor current alignment but it is very difficult to turn the wheels when not moving. I’ve got about 10 miles on the car so perhaps it will get better over the next few days until I can get it properly aligned.

When moving there’s no issue. No binding or dead spots, just twitchy because of the alignment. I don’t recall the original rack behaving the same way.

I didn’t start the car when the wheels were off the ground to bleed the system. I did turn the steering wheel all the way left and right with the tires on and it was smooth while still elevated.

Any ideas? Hopefully it’s just the alignment.

My Cars
    93 BMW 325is
    When you replace the rack, did you replace the Reservoir? The reservoir has a filter in it. That might be clogged from metal and other particles from your old rack.
    Also make sure you put the right fluid in it. The cap on the reservoir should tell you which fluid. Typically ATF. But there are some that require a different fluid.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenday694 View Post
    When you replace the rack, did you replace the Reservoir? The reservoir has a filter in it. That might be clogged from metal and other particles from your old rack.
    Also make sure you put the right fluid in it. The cap on the reservoir should tell you which fluid. Typically ATF. But there are some that require a different fluid.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Yes, new reservoir and line to the PS pump. Filled with Dexron III/Mercon. When I first started the car the fluid was pink from all the air in the system. Started to clear up. I’ve read that it might take a few days of driving to totally bleed the system.

My Cars
    99 M3
    Yes several full lock to lock turns in a parking lot should clear all the air out.
    Hopefully, an alignment very soon as the tires will not last long on a bad alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Tires are on their way out anyway. Was hoping to put off an alignment until I got new wheels and tires from Tire Rack.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah you're gonna need an alignment regardless. Even you you measure carefully I promise your toe is gonna be off.

As for the bleeding, all you need to do is start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock a few times. After that, top off the reservoir and you should be good to go.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    UPDATE:
    Had the car professionally aligned. It was really heavy/stiff at low speed before the alignment. Could hardly turn it when not moving. Now after the alignment there’s no power assist.

I checked the fluid in the reservoir and it’s pinkish meaning there’s still air in the system. No leaks, no noise from the pump. I’ve done about 30 miles of city driving. No problems before the rack swap. This is very frustrating.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 82bmw633 View Post
    UPDATE:
    Had the car professionally aligned. It was really heavy/stiff at low speed before the alignment. Could hardly turn it when not moving. Now after the alignment there’s no power assist.

I checked the fluid in the reservoir and it’s pinkish meaning there’s still air in the system. No leaks, no noise from the pump. I’ve done about 30 miles of city driving. No problems before the rack swap. This is very frustrating.
    I'd reach out to Rack Doctor. I swapped my leaky rack for a non-rebuilt ZHP rack, swapped a junkyard rack into my friend's race car after someone (who will remain nameless) broke a wheel and bent the output shaft on the original rack, and then again when we swapped a non-rebuilt ZHP rack into the race car. The only time any of them felt weird was the 30 minutes between breaking the wheel and realizing the output shaft on the original race car rack was bent. A couple of turns lock to lock should have it feeling normal. It seems like something abnormal is going on here.

I'd call them and see what they can tell you.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I’ll do that. They’re closed until 8/26 but they apparently do check email.

My Cars
    99 M3
    After sitting for a good period of time, what is the fluid level? There is a full and low ‘step’ in the cap.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=2

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    After sitting for a good period of time, what is the fluid level? There is a full and low ‘step’ in the cap.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=2

When hot it is at the full level (top mark under the cap).

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    The Rack Doctor responded promptly to my emails and suggested several things (recheck fittings, reservoir, etc.). So I’ll do those and see what happens.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Convinced it’s the pump. Works fine with cold fluid but when it gets warm there’s no power assist at idle/slow speed. Push in the clutch and rev the engine and the assist returns. Reman pump (Rockauto) will be here next week.

My Cars
    99 M3
    WOW!! I did not think there were any pumps in the supply chain!!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    WOW!! I did not think there were any pumps in the supply chain!!

Rockauto only had one of the four brands available (other three out of stock). PartsGeek has a few I believe. Also available on eBay. Rockauto was $80 plus core charge.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    You can also get pump rebuild kits, and I don't believe the rebuild process is too complicated. Though, for $80 I don't blame you for just getting one already rebuilt.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Not for nothing, but did you make sure that you connected the lines and pump correctly?
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Not for nothing, but did you make sure that you connected the lines and pump correctly?
    Yes. The banjo bolts are different sizes on the rack. I replaced the hose from the pump to the reservoir. I kept track and not everything was disconnected at the same time. However, that WAS one of the things I thought which could have been the problem.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    I was just asking... I've done my share of dumb things... lol
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    I was just asking... I've done my share of dumb things... lol
    I have a friend who is a BMW mechanic and he referred to my issues as ‘The Car Repair Spiral of Doom’!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Installed the rebuilt PS pump from Rockauto. Easy job. Was more careful with bleeding the system. Did a 10+ mile loop on local roads and interstate to get fluid hot. Everything seems to be fine.

When I replaced the rack it had power assist at idle and low speed but when the fluid got hot it went away. At least I’m assuming that was the case. But it works fine now. A few more trips and I’ll know for certain.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Nice! Glad it fixed it!

---

Spiral of Doom - whatever!

I keep thinking - it's only a spiral of doom if you can't fix it and don't get it back on the road. Or I guess if you have a consumption mindset - use it up and throw it away.

Knowing I was buying a car with 120k miles and it would probably need some remedial work, I originally planned on $2k / yr for repairs (not maintenance - I've never counted tires and oil changes, though I sometimes wish I'd kept track of that too).

I only went over twice - the year I bought my wheels, and then also had to redo my cooling system AND replace the driveshaft, and then the following year when I had to replace the clutch, and did the full detente refresh and installed an SSK. And that was the year and year after I did 20k miles in 6 months (took a job in Austin, took 6 months of commuting from Dallas until the house in Austin was finished). Lots of back and forth, and even drove across country and back. The mileage definitely took it's toll that year and the following year.

Overall, I have averaged $1200 / year, even including purely gratuitous upgrades (strut / x braces, M50 manifold swap, wheels, sway bars, glass headlights, etc). You back the "extra" stuff out, I've averaged $990 / year. That's either $100 / month or $83 / month. It would take almost 10x that monthly amount to make a monthly payment on a new something that's even remotely interesting.

You have to pay to play with any older car - thinking otherwise is just unrealistic expectations. But I think overall these things are pretty cheap for what you get.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Yup, I got an entire list I’m working through. Next up is new wheels and tires and then flywheel, clutch, and short shift kit. I bought mine with about 130k miles but it already had track suspension, front and rear stressbars, and x-brace. Previous owner kept up on maintenance. I have all receipts from his ownership.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Which one did you go with?

Quote Originally Posted by 82bmw633 View Post
    Installed the rebuilt PS pump from Rockauto. Easy job. Was more careful with bleeding the system. Did a 10+ mile loop on local roads and interstate to get fluid hot. Everything seems to be fine.

When I replaced the rack it had power assist at idle and low speed but when the fluid got hot it went away. At least I’m assuming that was the case. But it works fine now. A few more trips and I’ll know for certain.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    this reminds me I need to replace my PS lines
    -Rich-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast