Thread: S54 Swap Oil Cooler Question

My Cars
    95' M3 3.2

S54 Swap Oil Cooler Question

I'm about to begin swapping in a S54 into my E36 M3, and am wondering if anyone who has done this swap or runs an S54 has any experience with the Mishimoto universal Oil Cooler Kit they offer? I have searched BF & google, and it seems everyone runs the stock Z3M Laengerer & Reich oil cooler and stock lines. My reason for asking is with fittings and bolts and everything else listed to complete this set up, it runs close to $400. So ultimately, right around the Mishimoto price point (for a 25 row, and with the thermostatic sandwich plate option). I would assume in theory the Mishimoto works better due to the larger number of rows, and would come with braided lines and improved fittings (which of course look nicer too), but it seems everyone loves the stock oil cooler setup and I haven't read of many using an alternative.

Also, anyone who swapped the S54 into their E36 not opt for Z3M radiator? I have a fresh CSF aluminum E36 M3 radiator that I don't mind parting ways with, just wondering if the stock Z3M rad is superior enough to warrant the switch.

I plan on upgrading the cooling system down the road to a Zionsville kit, but am holding off at this time due to cost, will splurge down the road.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey!

Currently in the process of s54 swapping my e36. I'm carrying over my oil cooler setup from the s52, which was a setrab cooler mounted up front. I pieced and built everything myself for around the same price IIRC. There are plenty of people running ebay/mishi coolers with no problems so you'll probably be fine. You can use whatever radiator you want, unless you are going to run the factory oil cooler, then you would need to run the s54 z3m radiator.

My Cars
    95' M3 3.2
    Thank you! I ended up going for Zionsville's oil cooler and the Z3M radiator for piece of mind in the hot TX sun. Since you seem in the know with this swap (and yours is going sweet by the way!) do you know what parts are needed for the DBW pedal conversion? All the write ups I've seen of it are simply pictures and don't mention part numbers or anything.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    No problem! Shouldn't have any problems with the zionsville stuff.

I'm not too sure what others are doing for the DBW wiring, but I think it depends on what adapter harness you are running. I'm using the adapter harness from redline motorsport+e46M engine harness, the adapter harness I have comes with the plug/wiring for the pedal. So beyond physically mounting the pedal, I just have to run the connector into the cabin and connect to the pedal. Which harness are you using?

My Cars
    95' M3 3.2
    I'm also using redline's harness adapter, along with a Z3M engine harness. My main question is the pedal, is it the E46 M3 pedal used in the swap?

My Cars
    98 M3 S54, Audi rallycar
    Quote Originally Posted by villagethief View Post
    I'm also using redline's harness adapter, along with a Z3M engine harness. My main question is the pedal, is it the E46 M3 pedal used in the swap?
    Yes it is

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyfreak202 View Post
    Yes it is
    E36 is drive by cable, E46 is drive by wire..

and you need to make a bracket for it so it can bolt to the floor pan
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    I'm about to begin swapping in a S54 into my E36 M3, and am wondering if anyone who has done this swap or runs an S54 has any experience with the Mishimoto universal Oil Cooler Kit they offer? I have searched BF & google, and it seems everyone runs the stock Z3M Laengerer & Reich oil cooler and stock lines. My reason for asking is with fittings and bolts and everything else listed to complete this set up, it runs close to $400. So ultimately, right around the Mishimoto price point (for a 25 row, and with the thermostatic sandwich plate option). I would assume in theory the Mishimoto works better due to the larger number of rows, and would come with braided lines and improved fittings (which of course look nicer too), but it seems everyone loves the stock oil cooler setup and I haven't read of many using an alternative.

Also, anyone who swapped the S54 into their E36 not opt for Z3M radiator? I have a fresh CSF aluminum E36 M3 radiator that I don't mind parting ways with, just wondering if the stock Z3M rad is superior enough to warrant the switch.

I plan on upgrading the cooling system down the road to a Zionsville kit, but am holding off at this time due to cost, will splurge down the road.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

originally i had used my Mishimoto E36 radiator with SPAL fan for my swap, along with an aftermarket 11row oil cooler behind the kidneys. I was always in the 200* temps for water. i recently switched to the OE BMW (Behr) Z3M radiator along with the OE BMW Z3M oil cooler and lines, and back to a mechanical OE BMW Z3M fan and OE BMW Z3M fan shrouds.. my temps are perfect now.. and i drive hard, even in the 100* temps here in UT summers
    these cars hate heat, ESPECIALLY intake air temps.. dont put a cone filter in the engine bay.. i had 134* intake temps even at night,, motor hated it, pulled timing and power.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    z3
    Thank you! I ended up going for Zionsville's oil cooler and the Z3M radiator for piece of mind in the hot TX sun. Since you seem in the know with this swap (and yours is going sweet by the way!) do you know what parts are needed for the DBW pedal conversion? All the write ups I've seen of it are simply pictures and don't mention part numbers or anything.
    Z3M S54 radiator is only an upgrade if you have the Z3M oil cooler too. Otherwise, you will have more cooling capacity with the stock radiator. Z3M S54 radiator is shorter, so it has less surface area for cooling. This was done so that the oil cooler could fit under the radiator. If you have an aftermarket oil cooler no reason to use the Z3M S54 rad.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!