Thread: Greetings from a newbie on M5boards - just picked up a 2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2 SMG

My Cars
    2008 M5, 2012 Acura TL

Greetings from a newbie on M5boards - just picked up a 2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2 SMG

Some of you may already know this vehicle. I recently purchased this from a gentlemen who spent years of love and passion building this car. I'm very fortunate enough to carry on it's legacy. My name is Jin and I'm from the suburbs outside of Seattle, WA. I work in software development. I love cars. Now that my daughter is a little bit older, I can share my passion of cars with her. She loves the new whip (might also be the fact that I got a pink car seat for her ).

Mods:

• Officially registered as a Dinan S2 vehicle with Dinan serial number
    • Dinan Suspension components (control arms, roll control kits, rear sway bar, front and rear strut bars, springs)
    • Dinan Engine hardware (Dinan Stage 3 ECU, Dinan under-drive pulley, Dinan big bore throttle bodies, Dinan Carbon Fiber intake, RPi intake scoops)
    • Dinan Exhaust hardware (Dinan exhaust)
    • Internal engine hardware (upgraded rod bearings, ARP studs, Schrick cams)
    • Body components (custom 1M replica bumper, carbon fiber splitters front and side, roof and trunk spoilers, 20" Ace wheels wrapped in Conti Contact Extremes, Carbon fiber upgrades exterior and interior)

Parts on order:

• Rotora 4 wheel big brake kit (6 piston front 15" air slotted rotors, 4 piston rears 15" air slotted rotors, calipers in dark blue metallic similar to the current M calipers)
    • Fluidmotorunion Swaintech Ceramic coated headers with pre-cat delete (this alone is a 40 whp bump)

My daily driver is a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD

Mods:

• OEM Aero Kit (officially known as the A-spec kit in the Acura world)
    • 19" TSWs wrapped in Michelin
    • Tein Advance Fully Adjustable Coilovers with Damper control
    • Endless RPM (private labeled Magnaflow) cat back exhaust with quad tips
    • Endless RPM (custom down pipe)
    • Rotora Big Brake Kit (4 piston front 355mm air slotted rotors, 4 piston rear 350mm air slotted rotors)
    • LED 3000k fog lights
    • 35% tint

My Cars
    The M5 sub-forums are pretty dead on this forum, but welcome anyway!

So, this is just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, but that front bumper is hideous! I'm sure you like it or you wouldn't have bought the car. It just ruins the lines and angles of the E60.

Has it been dyno'd? How much power?
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2008 M5, 2012 Acura TL
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    The M5 sub-forums are pretty dead on this forum, but welcome anyway!

So, this is just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it, but that front bumper is hideous! I'm sure you like it or you wouldn't have bought the car. It just ruins the lines and angles of the E60.

Has it been dyno'd? How much power?
    Thanks! I can see that - it's super quiet here. The folks over on M5board are super active, so I've been spending a lot of time over there. I was a bit torn on that bumper also....However, the body shop that installed this custom bumper, took the time to lower the under aero trays to fit as intended. They even went as far as ensuring every scoop and opening is functional for the oil cooler, brake ducts and under tray aero. I can't say the same for the company that built the bumper...they got a bit lazy. You'll notice how the front CF splitter doesn't even fully wrap around to the edges of the front bumper. I was like...uh...did someone just call it a day when they got "close" enough? Here's the irony...I hate the OEM M5 bumper.

In the end, seeing how much care and work went into the car from the body to all the different mods and the endless paperwork of service and receipts, plus the fact that a Dinan certified BMW dealership did all the work and is local to me....was enough for me to look beyond the bumper. It's hard enough buying a car online, let alone, finding an owner who truly cared for the car to the last detail.

As far as power goes, It's buried somewhere in the mountain of paperwork that I inherited, but the last dyno pull with all the mods listed above was about 430whp. With the headers that are coming and a retune, should be good for another 40 wheel. That's the average gain for all of the customer's who have installed these specific headers that I'm buying.

My Cars
    40 who from headers is a huge gain. Hope you get that much. BMW tunes their engines so well it’s hard to get more out of the naturally aspirated engines. It’s easy with the turbo engines. All it takes is a tune!

Sounds like a lot of work went into the bumper. While it’s not my cup of tea, I can appreciate it if it was well done. All too often I see garbage body kits and shoddy work.

I still miss the sound of my v10 at full tilt. I had an 06 with corsa mufflers and mid pipes from RPE I think? Can’t remember. My wife misses the car more than I do. She still talks about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2008 M5, 2012 Acura TL
    I forgot to mention, it's also a cat delete. So that restriction is gone....passing emissions will be a whole different story.

My Cars
    2001 740il
    I think the bumper looks great. Welcome to the family!!