Thread: 2.3L MUSTANG ECOBOOST ENGINE in a E36

My Cars
    1996 bmw 318is E36

Lightbulb 2.3L MUSTANG ECOBOOST ENGINE in a E36

i have a 96 318is, it comes with a little 4 banger, personally i have no problems with that but its old and the prevous owners didnt really take care of it. my brother has a 2017 ford mustang and i like the power it puts out. i would like to know if anyone thinks it might be posable to put a 2.3L ecoboot in my bmw. my car it lighter and smaller and i feel like it would a pretty cool swap. i'm sure there are way better options out there to swap into my car. i'm not really looking for any crazy power, i think the ecoboosts 310hp would be more then enough power considering that the 1.9L m44 only puts out 138bhp. so i'm just ondering if it would be a posable swap and what i could need in order to do it. thanks in advance for anyone with info.

My Cars
    Anything is possible with the right amount of money. The issue you're going to run into is that no one (probably no one) has done that before. You will have to custom fabricate EVERYTHING. And getting the electronics to work is going to be a helluva task. You're much better off with a known swap that many have accomplished successfully.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    And getting the electronics to work is going to be a helluva task. You're much better off with a known swap that many have accomplished successfully.
    I'd be shocked if there isn't a stand alone EMS solution for this engine yet, either that or someone has hacked the Ford DME to allow it to operate stand alone in a different chassis. That'd be a pretty cool swap IMHO.

***edit*** You got me looking!! Here's a quote from a guy doing a 2.3 Ecoboost into a Datsun 510:

" * unlike many direct injection motors Ford sells an ECU package meant for swapping this guy into a car without requiring a million body harness gizmos and a computer controlled transmission"

https://ratsun.net/topic/74746-23l-f...ost-in-a-dime/

https://performanceparts.ford.com/do...2019%20PDF.PDF
    Last edited by jakermac; 08-15-2020 at 04:46 PM.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Ford sells a plug-and-play ECU and harness through Performance Parts.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    Do it! Fun project and if you have the fab skills, shouldn't be too bad as there is a p-n-p option the ECU.
    1997 E36 M3/4/5
    ASM - Slicktop
    My LS3 Build: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post30117299

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    A little bit of a zombie thread but I keep seeing people talk about EcoBoost swaps so I'll say this - there's absolutely nothing special about the 2.0, 2.3, or 3.5 EcoBoost engines. They're just regular NA engines with a turbo and direct injection slapped on there. There might be slight differences in components but for the most part the blocks are no stronger than the NA components, and the rotating assembly is likely no stronger as well. Picking the EcoBoost just means that you're stuck with direct injection, which is difficult to do with a standalone, and you're starting with a turbo that's probably gasping for air by 5500rpm. If you want to do a standalone and you're going to swap the turbo anyway, don't waste your time starting with an EcoBoost. Get a 2.5 out of a Mazda6 or Fusion and slap a turbo on it. Blam, 400hp reliable horsepower with a great power curve.

https://www.rx8club.com/rx-8-racing-...4/#post4884317

Here's the 2.3 EcoBoost:

Look at the back of the engine - that's the DI fuel pump. Good luck trying to make that engine fit in a tight engine bay when your dumb fuel pump pushes it 5" forward. Not a problem with the NA version.

And instead of paying $2500+ for the engine and then another $2k for the Ford controls pack, you can pick up a Fusion engine for $150 all day, and then run any standalone you want on it. Or if you really think the EcoBoost is stronger, spend the $2400 difference between the two engines on a forged rotating assembly and you'll be light years ahead of the EcoBoost in strength.