Thread: Newb here

My Cars
    2000 BMW M5

Newb here

Hey, longtime lurker here. I've enjoyed watching the progress that a couple of you are making on your cars and decided to finally join the BF. I hope I can add to it sooner than later when I find one to buy.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    2000 BMW M5
    I would really like a 540i 6 speed. I bid on one over at Bring a Trailer, but it wasn't meant to be. I'd be all right with a 530 or 535 though. Blk/blk is the dream. I'd go for a gray or green one too though. I just want something to wrench on and make my own.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had 2 e39s for about 11 years and even had a 318ti when the 528i needed major service. I like e39 platform a lot, but there's something special about the e34. Size seems right and it has enough of that old school class and charm.

My Cars
    E34T
    What's your interest and ability to do an engine swap? E34 540iM aren't too common, but an E34 530i can take an E39 540iM engine and transmission in a 98% plug-n-play project. I did this to a 530i Touring, rocked it for eight years, and miss it more than I thought I would.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M5
    Interest is high. I've got a garage and have been building up my tool cache for a while. I do the basic stuff and have access to youtube of course, so I'm not scared to work on an e34. Part of the appeal of getting one is to expand my knowledge and comfort of working on a car. I would hesitate to wrench too much on the m5 right now. It's been mythical status to me for so long that I'd pay for anything beyond basic maintenance items.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a 530i is the way to go and then pop a donor cars engine and transmission into.

My Cars
    BMW X3
    I have a favorite car in my collection, the BMW e34 1991 525. I really enjoy driving it, I drive it 10,000 miles a year. Still enjoys it so far.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Welcome.
    The big six 535 and the V-8 cars are much different animals. I've owned them all and offer the following observations.
    The E34 chassis was NOT designed to carry a V-8 so a bunch of compromise in the engine compartment, the Rube Goldberg set up between the brake pedal and the master cylinder which is several feet away behind the headlights comes to mind. V-8 cars are just harder to service.
    I find both V-8s power underwhelming but they do make all the right sounds. The 530 is the redheaded step child of the family and can usually be bought for far less than their bigger brothers. The good news is that the 4.0 drops in like it grew there and unless you are constantly whooping the daylights out of it the 530 clutch and trans will live quite happily behind the 4.0
    The 535s engine dates way back and is something of a dinosaur but is as close to bullet proof as an engine can, the inline 6 is smooth as silk when properly tuned, has a nice torque curve but only 200 or so HP and is thirsty. I think they will outrun 530s.
    I'm partial to the 535. Drive one of each before you buy.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-27-2021 at 09:16 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34T
    Having owned an M30, M62, and M50 E34, I actually find the V8 easier to work on for most things. It wasn't a victim of the competition to see how much can be stuffed under an intake manifold. Apart from the brakes and steerbox, everything is fairly sensibly laid out IMO.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Having owned an M30, M62, and M50 E34, I actually find the V8 easier to work on for most things. It wasn't a victim of the competition to see how much can be stuffed under an intake manifold. Apart from the brakes and steerbox, everything is fairly sensibly laid out IMO.
    Good point.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue