Hi,
Newbie BMW owner here with good mechanical skills.

I just purchased a 2007 328i, 96K mi, full records, always dealer serviced car (not sure if that's a good thing or not...). The car has faults and symptoms for the DSC e.g.ABS, DTC, no cruise). PO took to dealer and they said it needed a new DTS pump and quoted $4k to replace, which he declined. I bought the car right so hopefully won't get hurt if this experiment fails.

When I went to get the car, the PO couldn't get it to start, though it had when he parked it ~3 mo. ago. Upon "starting" I got crazy dash lights and clicking in cabin, but nothing at the engine (factory starter installed in 2018), so I assumed battery, but it had been on a trickle charger and my meter showed 12.4V. I tried to jump first putting 250A to the charging ports still no crank. Batter is only 3 year old and a BMW battery (720 CA, 90amp/hr battery). I pulled it and had it load tested and it passed with 750CA. Reinstalled and car cranked and ran fine and code was gone. After driving 5-10 miin. and hard accel, ABS fauly reappeared.

Took it to a buddy with a high end diagnostic tool that went through all the system modules (~ 28 I think). He could countrol my sunroof with it so I figured it was a pretty good tool.

Codes were typical for ABS/DSC = 5DF0 and 5DF1. It also had some CAS fault codes, which I don't think are related, but maybe they are. Those codes are: A0A9, CTRL UNIT FAULT, as well as A0BE, A0BF and A0C0 all are terminal 15, outputs 1,2 and 3, respectively.

So, my question is do I need to run better diagnostics before I replace the DSC? My plan was to either send it off for a reman or find the same unit on Ebay and swap my control module on to it. I see from reading here that the issues can cause this fault, e.g. wheel speed sensor. Hoping to try some easier tests, fixes before I remove the DSC unit, if there are any. Some guy on the E90Post taps the module with a hammer and gets it to work. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=22408754 I like hammers!

Thanks,
Walt