Thread: Video killed the radio star (where are the SCCA fans?)

My Cars
    E60 M5, E61 535XI

Video killed the radio star (where are the SCCA fans?)

I normally wouldn’t ask such derogatory questions. However, I have been slapped in the face by reality to learn that what was once the bastion of low buck, entry level auto racing is slowly dying off.

I thoroughly remember spending my college years pouring over material pertaining to SCCA and their seemingly odd miss-match of cars. As I look back fondly. I find that it gave hope and opportunity that I could one day compete. Many did while I sat on the sidelines “hoping”.

I am fortunate enough to have owned a piece of that history for a decade. The magnificent Blue BMW or Carl Buckland. Intimately known as “Ice 9” on Bimmerforums. It made a name for itself as the pioneer of the M cars in American racing. Carl’s knowledge was effortlessly disseminated throughout the forum.

I would have hope that these pioneers left a lasting impression. However, it would seem that their addition to racing history has tarnished and is in risk of fading away. Will their additions to grassroots motorsports be forgotten?

Maybe. Although, was being engraved in the mind of every boy racer the end game? I doubt it. The thrill of competition made the pain worth it. Looking back there were hundreds of competitors of Solo II in the late 90’s. Twenty years later who are they? Doctors, lawyers, Mechanics, and business owners. How Many people did Carl spur on to motorsports?

As some motorsports are experiencing a resurgence: Karting, Dirt Track, and no-prep drag racing. Can road racing endure. Is it coming to the end of an era? IMSA, INDY, and NASCAR are hurting. They may seem independent, but they are symptoms.

Where are the “safe”, on track, “low” cost solutions for the racing aficionado? Is it to be tack day experiences to satisfy the palette? While “the real racing” is handled by heavily backed teams and “professional” racing drivers? I may be jaded but I am not angry. The road paved by Dinan, Conforti, Turner, among others has paved the way for fast production cars to be more fun.

As long as there are race tracks, I’ll do my best to be on them.

My Cars
    E60 M5, E61 535XI
    A quick side not on the history of SCCA

https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagert...gle-to-endure/

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    There have been a number of other budget wheel to wheel organizations springing up lately. 24 Hours of Lemons was a joke when they started (it's right in the name, after all!) but have shifted a bit to more emphasis on the racing, and more serious racing leagues like Champ Car (originally Chump Car, but they managed to buy the trademark off the series they'd been parodying) and World League have also sprung up.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    95 M3, 87 535is
    The amateur road racing world is still very much alive through Lemons, Champcar, AER, WRL, luckydog, gridlife, global time attack, nasa, bmwcca, etc etc

SCCA is still in the mix but its not the only player in the game anymore.

My Cars
    E60 M5, E61 535XI
    Nasa and BMWCCA have been holding their own. However the fracturation of the sport may be diluting it. Thoughts?

I hesitate thinking of Lemons as a serious contender. It still remains a "what you wind up doing after you're 8 beers in at the garage". Not trying to be a hater.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    WTF are you talkin' bout Willis?
    Is there a point in there?
    What region are you talking about because it doesnt apply to ANY of the regions I race with.

Other than this Corona year which I have not raced yet,,, I sit in SCCA paddocks numerous times a year filled with grass roots racers.
    I only race with SCCA, I have been a member since 1994 and have raced all over the NEDIV and have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Many of the guys I see at a regional weekend tow their cars on an open trailer with a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV.
    All of them are regular guys.
    Yeah if you want to run at the front of the Runoffs, thats pretty deep water, and it should be to be at the sharp end of the field.
    Us regular regional guys are just that, regular guys.

I'm a BMW guy, and I have never heard of the legendary car or driver you are talking about so I'm guessing its not from around where I am, but there is a place for racing pretty much anything in SCCA from motorcycle powered Legends cars to ex Indy cars and ex NASCAR Cup cars and anything inbetween.
    Last edited by jimmypet; 08-15-2020 at 10:55 AM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    E60 M5, E61 535XI
    nice to hear. Continue on. I'm not always right only sometimes. That is why discussions are entertaining always learning something new.
    By the way Carl is west by south west. The fun part about a regional sport is it is regional. Nice E30 Jimmy P!
    DRIVE, RISK, RACE

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    What Jimmy said. I have been racing BMW's with SCCA for twenty years. Hard to beat the fun and competition! I used to race with bmwcca, but my Scca built car was regulated out of competition in bmwcca.

My Cars
    E30 M3 Touring Car #10
    SCCA has it's warts, but all org's do in one way or another. There are plenty of very good racers in all the org, but the front of the grid at an SCCA Majors and the Runoffs is stacked with talent, pro, semi-pro, or otherwise.

The numbers don't lie. Runoffs entries are routinely closer to 1000 than they are to 500.

Depending on the region - here in NER regionals easily get 250+ entries - and that's zero HPDE session. All racers, all racing.

BMW CCA CR broke records when they had 75 racers show up at WGI back in...oh IDK, like 2004 or something.
    Last edited by JS154; 09-03-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    2010 BMW Club Racing E30 M3 Touring Car Champion, 2011 and 2013 SCCA National Championship Runoffs 3rd Place, STU, 2011 SCCA Jim Fitzgerald Rookie of the Year, 2012 SCCA Northeast Division STU Champion, 2015 SCCA Runoffs Pole Position Daytona/STU