Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coilover options for 1999 M3

My Cars
    1999 M3

Coilover options for 1999 M3

Hey guys,

I'm starting to do some research on what coilovers I'd like to buy and install next year. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 options, unless someone has a solid recommendation. The car is mostly driven for fun a couple of days per week throughout the summer. I don't plan on tracking the car at all but some spirited driving is not out of the question.

I'm looking at either the Bilstein PSS9 kit or the KW V3's. Both are pretty pricey, so I'm hoping to stumble on a sale price between now and early next year.

What are some of your experiences with these setups and which would you recommend?
    1999 BMW M3/2
    Fern Green | Sand Beige | 5spd | LTW's | Bilstein PSS9 | Bosch Projectors | Dinan SSK

My Cars
    99 M3

I would recommend working with Ground Control as I believe they reconfigured the strut casing to provide more strut to tire clearance. This is a Koni based package.
    Street Touring
    Street-School-Hybrid
    Double Adjustable

TCKline is another good source and these were developed with externally adjustable rear shocks, also Koni based. Requires 12mm id rear shock mounts.
    Single Adjustable
    Double Adjustable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-11-2020 at 03:37 AM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have the Ground Control hybrid kit and have absolutely zero complaints.

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...nt=35654882307

I went with 440# front and 550# rear for the spring rates. It's perfectly fine on the street with that setup. Aggressive, but not painfully so.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    If you're looking for a more affordable set of coilovers Tire Rack sells the ST XTA Coil Overs...I believe they also have the Bilsteins and KWs you're looking for on sale right now.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    99 M3

Be aware most, if not all, CO kits lower the vehicle a couple of inches.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-11-2020 at 11:40 PM.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    TCK above all, especially over GC. TCK has the valving perfect for the E36. Superb street comfort with excellent handling where you want it. Ground-Control makes race parts. They DO NOT do street setups well at all. Do not listen to anything their sales reps say about “this product known for complaints has been a non issue for me”. They are full of shit and will not do anything about selling you bad products (sorry, but they did me wrong here).

My recommendation is for street/weekend fun use without ruining the E36. Most setups are very poorly setup and do not compliment this chassis in this regard.
    Last edited by Braymond141; 08-11-2020 at 04:16 PM.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    TCK above all, especially over GC. TCK has the valving perfect for the E36. Superb street comfort with excellent handling where you want it. Ground-Control makes race parts. They DO NOT do street setups well at all. Do not listen to anything their sales reps say about “this product known for complaints has been a non issue for me”. They are full of shit and will not do anything about selling you bad products (sorry, but they did me wrong here).

My recommendation is for street/weekend fun use without ruining the E36. Most setups are very poorly setup and do not compliment this chassis in this regard.
    I've run the TCK Koni SA coilover setup on my car for 15+ years now...it was between them and GC when I was shopping suspension. TCK won out because they took the time to talk to me and help me with the setup I wanted (street/autocross), whereas GC seemed to just want to sell me something and get on to the next customer.
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I've had the opposite experience with GC than you guys. I had a number of pre and post purchase conversations and email exchanges with them about setup details for street/track and they were quite responsive and helpful. They even were quick to get me some replacement hardware one time when I needed it a while back. I can't speak for anyone else obviously, just for me. I did look at TCK as well, and agree that their kits are of comparable quality. The only thing I might do differently in hindsight is opt for Vorshlag camber plates instead of either of the GC or TCK options, but that's a minor quibble.

In any case, for just street use I would agree that there may be less expensive and more comfortable options out there. I went with GC because their kits were well suited to what I wanted for the track with linear springs of specified rates, adjustable height at all corners, custom valved adjustable Konis, etc... And yes, per the comment a few posts above be aware of ride height and clearances if you buy a less expensive kit which lacks height adjustment. Same deal for camber if you forgo camber plates or adjustable rear arms.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 08-11-2020 at 07:23 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    I love my TRM coilovers. They've been on my car since late 2013ish and have done quite a few miles and track days. Propcar's review from 2012 set me on to them. I'm running the street/track spring rates (560f/784r), I think now they even offer a softer street only setup. They're very comfortable, the damping is pretty amazing (only have a handful of comparisons to go by). Still completely silent, and everything has held up well through quite a lot of abuse. Not having to climb into my trunk and/or cut the carpet to access the adjustment on the rear strut is a nice plus.

Definitely check out TRM.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2 View Post
    I love my TRM coilovers. They've been on my car since late 2013ish....
    I love this track ‘setup’ quote -
    “Includes sway bar links. Use of a stock non-M sway bar in front and removal of the rear bar is recommended”
    LOL!! I have seen this discussion a lot over the years!!

TRM COs are ’out of stock’ and not likely to return.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-13-2020 at 07:44 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Wow, a lot of good and detailed suggestions here. Thanks everyone!

I've been told many times that TCK is the way to go on an E36 M3 but the cheapest I can find the single adjustable setup for is $2400 USD. Mind you, the PSS9 kit and KWs aren't too far off at $1900 USD.

I also want to go with a setup that will last a while and has great customer service (should the product fail for some reason).
    1999 BMW M3/2
    Fern Green | Sand Beige | 5spd | LTW's | Bilstein PSS9 | Bosch Projectors | Dinan SSK

My Cars
    97 Estoril M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by IL CAPO View Post

I've been told many times that TCK is the way to go on an E36 M3 but the cheapest I can find the single adjustable setup for is $2400 USD. Mind you, the PSS9 kit and KWs aren't too far off at $1900 USD.

I also want to go with a setup that will last a while and has great customer service (should the product fail for some reason).
    I've driven an E36 with PSS9 and I currently have KW V3s.

For ride quality on the street, I find both setups to be comparable. Both are sporty and compliant. Both are less comfortable than the OEM sport suspension on a 335i.

If I had to do it again, I'd save the money and get KW V1s. I leave my KW V3s on the default rebound/compression settings. I tried different settings and I felt no difference on the street. Maybe it makes a difference on the track, but I don't track my car.

I've heard good things about Koni yellows + lowering springs from other E36 owners.

Don't get the Bilstein B12 pro kit. The ride quality is terrible. I had that suspension and replaced it after 1 year.
    Last edited by 123bmwm3; 08-12-2020 at 12:40 AM.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by 123bmwm3 View Post
    I've heard good things about Koni yellows + lowering springs from other E36 owners.
    Wife’s E36, M3 Koni Sports on H&R OE Sports.
    Son’s E36, M3 Bilstein on Dinan.
    Probably a mixed match up...people usually go Koni/Dinan (as Dinan did), and Bilstein/H&R.

Very comparable in ride comfort, just the right amount of drop in each, without the CO headaches.... ride height, corner weight, tire clearance...

Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-12-2020 at 01:04 AM.

My Cars
    A few
    I had GC coilovers before switching to AST. Also had a car with Bilstein PSS9's. The AST setup is the best for my setup and goals. A friend also has KW's. They're nice but too soft IMO.

What wheels and tires do you plan on running?

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpy2 View Post
    I love my TRM coilovers. They've been on my car since late 2013ish and have done quite a few miles and track days. Propcar's review from 2012 set me on to them. I'm running the street/track spring rates (560f/784r), I think now they even offer a softer street only setup. They're very comfortable, the damping is pretty amazing (only have a handful of comparisons to go by). Still completely silent, and everything has held up well through quite a lot of abuse. Not having to climb into my trunk and/or cut the carpet to access the adjustment on the rear strut is a nice plus.

Glad it helped, I still have my TRM's too running their recommended rates (no issues in almost 40k miles). However, they don't currently have stock of their coilovers and I don't expect they will in the near future unless there's some big demand. They haven't had stock in a few years. Shame because it was a good complete kit at a good price.

If I were buying coilovers today with road comfort in mind, I'd look into PSS9 or TCKline single adjustable. But I'd favor PSS9.

And if I didn't want to spend the money on PSS9, I'd go with normal E36 Bilstein PSS (non-damper adjustment) and just use front non-M sway bar.
    https://www.bimmerworld.com/Suspensi...47-124813.html

I like Bilstein products and I like that they're monotubes and can be rebuilt easily or even re-valved by many different shock servicing spots.

Looks like AST also offers an entry level twin-tube coilover setup now as well. But I don't know anything about them.
    https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4...-3-series-e36/

If I were doing a shock/spring setup with minimal drop, Koni shocks and Dinan springs would likely be the way.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    One advantage of TCK is that they can be rebuilt or replaced. The one off run of no name coilovers with a tuning shop’s label on them may not offer that possibility. I bought a used set of TCK SA in 2008 and am still using them today though I rebuilt them a few years ago.

Most people don’t need coilovers. A set of Konis and slightly shorter springs would be a good choice, along with replacing all 31 bushings, mounts, ball joints and links under the car. I started with a used set of Konis and H&R springs in 2005 and ran them for several years.

I very rarely adjust my coilovers. I know it seems like a cool idea to raise and lower and firm and soften but most people set and forget. They are really for racers or those who want to significantly lower the car without reducing suspension travel (which opens up another can of worms because roll center is changed, camber is changed, endlinks may be too long, etc). I did have my car lowered significantly at one point and I did need shocks valves to handle more spring rate at one point, but am no longer as low and have not drag raced in a few years.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 08-12-2020 at 02:09 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Once you choose the product, I suggest you get a good shop to set up properly. Ride height, camber, alignment, etc. Corner balance if you like. No point installing expensive suspension components if they are not set up correctly.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    I enjoy having the adjustment. Although at some point you'll likely get to a set of settings that you won't veer off much from there. But having the ability to get to where you want and being able to play with spring rates and dampers is fun if you're into that.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Street car? Just get some TCKs and you'll be happy.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I had a set of TCK DAs on my car for years prior to going for MCS DAs. Same spring rates (600/700 iirc).

The TCKs were, by far, the better street suspension. On track they didn't suck either, but different league from the MCSs. The TCKs with Vorshlag plates were downright comfy in comparison to MCS+GCs, and way Way WAY less clunky.

I would go TCK for a tracked street car in a heartbeat. For a spiritiedly driven non-tracked car though, Konis + Dinan or H&R springs will get you very close (hell, you can buy valved shocks from TCK) with way less setup pain.
    Streeted track car.....spend suspension dollars not motor dollars.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I had a set of TCK DAs on my car for years prior to going for MCS DAs. Same spring rates (600/700 iirc).

The TCKs were, by far, the better street suspension. On track they didn't suck either, but different league from the MCSs. The TCKs with Vorshlag plates were downright comfy in comparison to MCS+GCs, and way Way WAY less clunky.

I would go TCK for a tracked street car in a heartbeat. For a spiritiedly driven non-tracked car though, Konis + Dinan or H&R springs will get you very close (hell, you can buy valved shocks from TCK) with way less setup pain.
    Streeted track car.....spend suspension dollars not motor dollars.
    Ditch the GC plates with your MCS setup. I made the same mistake with my JRZ.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il

Take note that the TCL setup includes camber plates in the price. You delete those, they're $1900 like the others.

My Cars
    99 M3

Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Take note that the TCK (edit?) setup includes camber plates in the price. You delete those, they're $1900 like the others.
    Same deal with GC.

....or more correctly, add Camber Plates and RSMs to other packages and they are ~ the same cost.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-14-2020 at 02:07 PM.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    Take note that the TCL setup includes camber plates in the price. You delete those, they're $1900 like the others.
    I didn't see the option to decline the camber plates. Are the camber plates needed with this setup or is it an unnecessary add-on?
    1999 BMW M3/2

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    I didn't see the option to decline the camber plates. Are the camber plates needed with this setup or is it an unnecessary add-on?
    I can't see how they'd be REQUIRED, which is in line with some of the responses we've seen too (i.e. comments that someone would go for the Vorshlag plates over either the GC or TCK plates). If you're blowing $2k on suspension you should probably have camber plates.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they started adding them by default when people started complaining that their new suspension didn't help their understeer...

And TCL - heh. At least I could have written TLC!

I've had Bilstein Sports paired with H&R OE and then more recently Sports, installed them shortly after I got the car.

I've always felt they were a bit harsh, and I actually wish I could increase my ride height a bit in the rear, which any of these solutions should allow me to do. I do prefer a pretty tight setup - I have poly FLCAs and delrin RTABs (yes, my pockets are reinforced, and yes, I know I should use the spherical bushings, which I'll probably do whenever I get around to doing the TCKs), and I run 0 toe all around. But the point is, even though it's my DD I like the car fairly sharp. I have an Escalade and an E32 - I have "floaty" and "rolls like a boat" covered pretty well (and also yes, sway bars for the E32 are at the top of the list as soon as I'm gainfully employed again. Man, I hate this corona crap).

I'm fairly sold on the TCKs, though who knows how soon I'll spring for them. This is a good discussion for me despite it not being very urgent for me.

So since we're on the topic - thoughts on the need for the monoball RSMs? I have JTD RSMs right now, have no complaints.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast