Thread: End links (TCK coilovers, H&R sway bar)

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

End links (TCK coilovers, H&R sway bar)

Forum, need some end links that are longer (3in longer minimum) than the stock Z3M links (stock is about nine inches, I believe?). Anyone know of any? I'm willing to go aftermarket if I need to, but my first choice would be longer bmw end links...

More detail:

1999 Z3 coupe 2.8
    TCK SA coilovers
    H&R sway bar

I'm using the M end links connected to the strut housing. I think this holds the sway bar higher than it would be on the non-m's (where the sway bar connects to the control arm).

The bar is hitting the steering rack on hard bumps in the road.

The longer links would put the bar back down closer to where it would be if it were connected to the control arm.

My Cars
    1999 Z3

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    Look a bit short...

I’d need 12 inches or 300+ mm.

I found some from Ground Control and it looks like Ireland engineering makes some.

Would be nice to get a recommendation from someone with first hand experience tho. I see some saying they are “noisy”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    If the OEM lengths don't work, make your own. Some hardened all-tread rod, hardened heim joints, a bit of hardware, and Bob's your Uncle. Any length you want to make, and fully adjustable if you need. Been doing this on FrankenCoupe for years.
    I also recall Pegasus or Turner offering end links in pretty much any length you want. But they are about twice what you can put something together for.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    If the OEM lengths don't work, make your own. Some hardened all-tread rod, hardened heim joints, a bit of hardware, and Bob's your Uncle. Any length you want to make, and fully adjustable if you need. Been doing this on FrankenCoupe for years.
    I also recall Pegasus or Turner offering end links in pretty much any length you want. But they are about twice what you can put something together for.
    Not feeling like Bob's my Uncle on this one...

I'll check the Turner site again. I did skim through them before.

I noticed the X5 links on a site. They looking pretty long but no sizes are offered on the stock stuff...anyone? (now that's a long shot)

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Update, purchased the turner end links, ended up having to cut them down. So the final length is 12in. Give or take a half inch.

After cutting them down I ended up at about 12 and a half inches end to end on the links. The sway bar is about 3/4 of an inch from hitting the control arm at full suspension droop. Then is moves further away as the weight of the car goes back on to the wheels. So problem solved.

note: this is on a 1999 2.8 coupe w/ tc kline sa struts and the H&R sway bar

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    You are running a rear bar as well I hope. The HR bar is very stiff and pulls a lot of grip off the front. You need a decent rear bar to do the same or the car is going to push like a big dog. Also if you had left the links longer, they would have rotated the bar in the mounts and likely given you a bit more room. As long as the arms of the bar are fairly level you are as neutral as you can be and best result for setup. I assume you set the car on flat ground with one side disconnected and then adjusted so there was no bias at rest before snugging down the remaining link.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    PbFut, if you are going to go to the extent of zeroing out the sway bar preload you should have the driver in his seat when you do it, as that is the condition it will be driven in. No one cares if it has zero preload sitting in the paddock!

Marty

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

Good points, gents.

I would have left the links longer but at that length they hit the control arms. After cutting down the bar is horizontal.

I don’t have a flat spot in my driveway, so there is preload. Just made the links the same length...

Might get the car corner balanced one day

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    You are running a rear bar as well I hope. The HR bar is very stiff and pulls a lot of grip off the front. You need a decent rear bar to do the same or the car is going to push like a big dog. Also if you had left the links longer, they would have rotated the bar in the mounts and likely given you a bit more room. As long as the arms of the bar are fairly level you are as neutral as you can be and best result for setup. I assume you set the car on flat ground with one side disconnected and then adjusted so there was no bias at rest before snugging down the remaining link.
    Oh yes, Pbfut. HR bar in back also. Both on softest setting. Still feels a bit soft to me...but my dd is an r53 mini on KW suspension. Rails, y’all...

Last edited by solimans; 09-05-2020 at 12:35 AM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    PbFut, if you are going to go to the extent of zeroing out the sway bar preload you should have the driver in his seat when you do it, as that is the condition it will be driven in. No one cares if it has zero preload sitting in the paddock
    Marty
    True That but we are not in the Paddock and load is going to move around depending on if a passenger is in the car or a keg of beer in the trunk. With or without driver weight for the purpose intended is not going to make a difference. Bar diameter or setting the link length while the car is lifted on one side by a person unfamiliar with consequences will.
    Last edited by PbFut; 09-01-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose