Thread: Throttle cables (lubricate)? Lower Grill (correct?) and aesthetics

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3

Throttle cables (lubricate)? Lower Grill (correct?) and aesthetics

Throttle cables: Does anyone lube these? Used to have a little clamp tool for my bike cables - which connected to a can of lube. No longer needed?

Throttle cables, was the original cable wrapped in a steel mesh? My current throttle cable is rubber or vinyl and my cruise cable is old rusty and steel wrapped (which I subsequently touched up with a wire brush, some naval jelly and a light coat of oil):

20200809_123805.jpg

On my 96, I have just vertical slates for a lower grill. Online, I've seen the part also one with additional horizontal slats. Are mine broken off, or where they never there in the first place (sorry for the license plate reflection):

20200809_114746.jpg

Not a question, just opinion. With absolutely nothing to do, I tried for the second and third time to plasti-dip the kidney grills black. The first time was a few months ago when I masked right up to the chrome and they came out a little ragged at the edges, but I felt the color didn't work well with the silver paint.

Then, I got my "black-out" plates and thought the black would work better. This time I watched the videos from Plasti-Dip where they showed leaving a large area around the emblem or other object and just carefully peeling it off. Well that didn't work well since the grills don't have sharp edges around the chrome and/or they are so tight against the paint that the dip doesn't "see" enough of an edge to self-cut. This was all in the morning, but I did establish that I liked the blacked-out grills with the black plate. Now the first time I did the job, I got really frustrated trying to get the grills out.

So, a bit miffed now, I vented my frustration by taking BimmerBreaker's long ago suggestion: I wrapped my fist in a rag and then punched the hell out of the center part of the grill which flew out the back and then the chrome outer ring was easy to remove from the front. For the second one, I whacked it again and voila, separated grill pieces and I was smiling. And, fortunately, not too many pieces broke off in the process. BMW put in triple redundancy on securing those parts, so you can afford a little damage with no harm. Once sprayed and dried, everything popped back together as tight and secure as new. New, black grills aren't that expensive, but it's the challenge of the thing, and learning that drives me.

The pic didn't come out as well as I'd hoped with the flash, but it looks kind of snarly to me:

20200809_114823.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cyberman; 08-09-2020 at 10:04 PM.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    Throttle cables: Does anyone lube these? Used to have a little clamp tool for my bike cables - which connected to a can of lube. No longer needed?
    Throttle cables, was the original cable wrapped in a steel mesh? My current throttle cable is rubber or vinyl and my cruise cable is old rusty and steel wrapped (which I subsequently touched up with a wire brush, some naval jelly and a light coat of oil):

20200809_123805.jpg
    ... On my 96, I have just vertical slates for a lower grill. Online, I've seen the part also one with additional horizontal slats. Are mine broken off, or where they never there in the first place...
    I have not heard of lubing the cables. I expect the sheaths have teflon linings. My cruise control cable's sheath is rubber-covered like the throttle cable's. The large center opening in my bumper cover is open with no grille or slats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vintage42; 08-10-2020 at 07:30 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    I have not heard of lubing the cables. I expect the sheaths have teflon linings. My cruise control cable's sheath is rubber-covered like the throttle cable's. The large center opening in my bumper cover is open with no grille or slats.
    Thanks again Vintage. I ordered a replacement for Latvia, of all places, where they have stock. But it was in a box and they shipped it before they could tell me what it looked like. I suspect the originals had both horizontal and vertical slate, but with openings between big enough to pass a crab apple, they were just decorative.

This one shows it with both H and V slats:
    https://www.siraweb.com/replacement-...gaAlWYEALw_wcB

And this used part on ebay shows just verticals. I'm wondering if it could be a two-part assembly and the horizontal section separates and breaks off.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    z3
    Why dont you check the part numbers on realoem to see what parts you need specifically?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    check the part numbers on realoem
    It shows 51118398160 cover and looks like it has horizontal slats, but its a rough drawing and doesn't show much. I think it's #9 here: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_2328

I'll guess I'll find out for sure when the part comes from Latvia. Geez, first a DISA from Bulgaria, now a trim piece from Latvia.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I’ve seen a couple cars that had the lower grill painted to match the car instead of black. I thought it looked pretty good.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Thanks Dakar, that's the confusing thing: I've seen the part both ways with and without the horizontal slats. I did note that most of the ones with the horizontal slats have a 1996 to 2002 fitment range, so I'm wondering if there wasn't a change in style later on. It's really trivial and the part is hard to see unless you look for it. So I'm wondering why I care and now I'm going to have to figure out the attachment hardware too. Ok, just checked, it's a spring nut: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ut-64111364257

I’ve seen a couple cars that had the lower grill painted to match the car instead of black. I thought it looked pretty good.
    Interesting idea, since I'm becoming a master of plasti-dip, the sky's the limit on colors. I'll think about colors: maybe a BMW blue would go well with the arctic silver. Red to match the interior would be a bold statement. Hmm.
    Last edited by cyberman; 08-12-2020 at 09:53 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberman View Post
    Thanks Dakar, that's the confusing thing: I've seen the part both ways with and without the horizontal slats....
    After Dakar posting the link in #6, I took a bright light and looked at mine, and sure enough, it has the vertical bars. I had never looked that far under and back.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Thanks Vintage - I want one with the horizontals, should have just ordered one I knew had them. We'll see when the slow boat from Latvia docks. Can't say why I want the horizontals, but I just do.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Vintage - I want one with the horizontals, should have just ordered one I knew had them. We'll see when the slow boat from Latvia docks. Can't say why I want the horizontals, but I just do.