Thread: S50 Auxiliary Thermostat Delete? (Throttle Body Thermostat)

My Cars
    ‘95 Avus Blue E36

S50 Auxiliary Thermostat Delete? (Throttle Body Thermostat)

Hello,

So I own a '95 M3 and recently purchased the Dinan carbon fiber air intake, knowing that this sensor does exist and it's technically not compatible with this intake. My question is, is there an actual delete for this? I have read that people will just keep it unplugged and zip-tie it off to the side. Sorry if this has been answered repeatedly but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by abmayer94 View Post
    Hello,

So I own a '95 M3 and recently purchased the Dinan carbon fiber air intake, knowing that this sensor does exist and it's technically not compatible with this intake. My question is, is there an actual delete for this? I have read that people will just keep it unplugged and zip-tie it off to the side. Sorry if this has been answered repeatedly but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.
    I'm a 96+ owner, but I think you're mistaken - there is no thermostat in the throttle body. It's just a coolant loop to keep the throttle from icing in cold + humid conditions. The pressure drop behind the throttle plate can drop the temperature and lead to icing in near and below zero temperatures.

You can bypass it if you'd like, but this has no bearing on the tube you've purchased.

The 95 MAF may be different from the 96+, which may be why this intake isn't compatible with the 95. But one of the 95 owners or the more experienced shop owners may need to chime in.

This has nothing to do with the throttle body. If you read the instructions, you remove the airbox and that's it. You don't remove the MAF, you don't remove the elbow, and you certainly don't even get close to the throttle body.

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Ok, to answer your question, no there is no delete kit.

At least for the 95s, yes there is a coolant thermostat for the TB, that goes into the stock airbox, or most of the CAIs . I’m assuming that the Dinan tube goes down to the left fog light area, so no, it has no home

You have two choices. 1), zip tie it out of the way. It doesn’t hurt anything. Or 2) cut it out and plug both ends.

I’d just tie it up, out of the way.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Ok, to answer your question, no there is no delete kit.

At least for the 95s, yes there is a coolant thermostat for the TB, that goes into the stock airbox, or most of the CAIs . I’m assuming that the Dinan tube goes down to the left fog light area, so no, it has no home

You have two choices. 1), zip tie it out of the way. It doesn’t hurt anything. Or 2) cut it out and plug both ends.

I’d just tie it up, out of the way.
    Man, that is interesting. So the bypass a lot of guys do is only on the 96+ cars since there's a thermostat on the 95?

I've been meaning to do a bypass valve (not that I really believe I'll ever move back to Idaho) rather than just delete it entirely. But I'm curious to see how much less heat builds up in the intake once I finally do it.

Has anyone retrofitted this to a later car?

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    For a 95 the thermostat that blots into the airbox is 13541730682. It looks like the OBD2 cars don't do anything. But, I'd still think that with the mass and volume of air passing through the throttle body, there is minimal heat transfer. But, I'm just a old dumb engineer, so what do I know...
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    For a 95 the thermostat that blots into the airbox is 13541730682. It looks like the OBD2 cars don't do anything. But, I'd still think that with the mass and volume of air passing through the throttle body, there is minimal heat transfer. But, I'm just a old dumb engineer, so what do I know...
    I notice the highest IATs when I'm sitting in traffic. I don't really think it would make a difference in power, but I do wonder how much cooler the car would run without a second big metal part radiating heat under the hood.