Thread: BMW Intake Designs

My Cars
    z3

BMW Intake Designs

I wrote an article detailing BMW intake systems, with a lot of emphasis on the M44, M52TU and M54 intake design

Read it here: ASCfabrics.com/intake

It is a rather lengthy article but I tried to keep it focused on being informative

Hope to give some of you a deeper understanding into how your intake systems work - I think BMW intakes are some of the coolest on the market!

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99 M3
    ascfabrics.com/post/intake Link
    All about creating volumetric efficiency over a broader range of engine RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 2.8 Z3
    Thanks x 2. Last night I was checking out your Rear Subframe/Trunk Floor Issue.

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    Cogent discussion. The illustrations are very helpful.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Thanks for the detailed information! I'd roughly understood the DISA concept, but this made it much clearer. One small nit, I believe it (DISA) first appeared on the M43. I just ordered a rebuilt unit from Bulgaria and he says it's for both M43 and M44.

He says he's running out of cores, so I sent him a suggestion to consider core charges. Even at $40 shipping each way and $110 a part, it's still 1/3 the price of a one of the few remaining new units.

I was thinking of rebuilding mine once I got his rebuilt unit, but after watching his very long video on membrane replacement, I realized it's just not worth it, too much time and too high a probability of damaging it. Ok, maybe I'll give it a whack, but the one thing I didn't understand (or he didn't show) was how he takes up the end play. I skipped around a bit, so maybe I missed something, or I could probably do it as others suggest which is to just machine a little washer/bushing. I did learn something new (to me). It looks like he uses some sort of paste epoxy to fix a vacuum tube fitting in place. Nice stuff as its stiffer (not runny) and takes longer to set. The only other thing is it's not clear how the little one-way valve (connects to another vacuum tube) is sealed. Mine leaked a little bit when smoke tested. But I did see a tiny o-ring, so perhaps that is replaced and I missed it. I wonder how our future counterparts will keep these cars running. In another 10-20 years the plastic will be extremely brittle. Perhaps thanks to 3D printing improvements, parts could be made.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to his 50 minute rebuild video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq0Fk57aVCQ
    Last edited by cyberman; 08-08-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added video link
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E