Thread: Replace Entire Valve Cover??

My Cars
    1996 740iL

Replace Entire Valve Cover??

My wife's 2011 535i xDrive has started dripping oil on the garage floor so I took it in to a local shop for diagnosis this morning. It's not a BMW shop but one of the mechanics is a certified BMW mechanic and they do a lot of work on Bimmers in this area. They just called and said that there are actually 2 leaks. One is where the oil filter canister attaches to the block. The other is from the valve cover. They are telling me that standard practice for the valve cover leak is to replace the entire valve cover, since it has lots of vents/orifices (my words, since I can't remember their exact words) that get plugged and simply replacing the gasket would probably lead to a future gasket failure due to pressure buildup, etc.

They have quoted me $986 for the valve cover kit, the oil canister gasket, and labor. My question to those of you who really know these vehicles is "Are they correct about needing to replace the entire valve cover and not just the gasket"? I've never heard of anything like that before.

My Cars
    2008 Z4
    Yes, it is a good idea to replace the cover. On my 2008 528xi, I replaced the gasket a couple times about 10,000 miles apart. After some research, it appears that the plastic cover can warp, and just replacing the gasket will cause another leak fairly quickly. After I had the leaks in quick succession, I replaced the cover and gasket. It was still tight 60,000 miles later when I sold the car.

My Cars
    We usually recommend replacing the valve cover as well. $986 is cheap for that much work. Almost too cheap..... They are using an OEM BMW valve cover, correct? I would not under any circumstances use anything but an original BMW valve cover.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Thanks guys for the quick response. It's good to know that the valve cover replacement is the recommended way to go.

I will verify with them that they will be using OEM parts, but I have used this shop for my BMW's for the last 20+ years and have never known them to not use OEM. A bit more information about the shop. It is the Automotive program for a local university and is run by a guy who is a BMW certified mechanic and who worked in a BMW shop for several years before coming to run the automotive program here. He is really good and really knows BMWs. He turns out mechanics who are snapped up by BMW and other high end auto dealers and shops. As part of the program, the University does auto repair work, using his best students, and under his direct supervision. The result is excellent quality work at a reduced labor cost.

My Cars
    That makes more sense. If you trust them, then by all means get the work done. Sounds like you’re getting a good deal. I was also snapped up by a BMW dealership from a local tech program. Worked out well for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    That makes more sense. If you trust them, then by all means get the work done. Sounds like you’re getting a good deal. I was also snapped up by a BMW dealership from a local tech program. Worked out well for all involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice!

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    We usually recommend replacing the valve cover as well. $986 is cheap for that much work. Almost too cheap..... They are using an OEM BMW valve cover, correct? I would not under any circumstances use anything but an original BMW valve cover.
    A follow up question: They have quoted $286 labor for replacing the valve cover (& gasket, etc), and an additional $286 labor for replacing the oil filter housing gaskets. I'm not a mechanic but it seems like the labor for replacing the oil filter housing gaskets (where the housing attaches to the block) should require less labor and thus be less expensive than replacing the valve cover and gaskets?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I think I just found the answer to my above question: Talked to the shop and apparently changing the gaskets for the oil filter housing is more complicated than it sounds, involving removing (or at least loosening) the intake manifold, coolant lines, etc.

My Cars
    Correct. The intake manifold blocks one of the bolts on the oil filter housing.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Correct. The intake manifold blocks one of the bolts on the oil filter housing.
    Thanks for the confirmation!

My Cars
    2011 BMW 535i xDrive
    I just paid $950 at an indy to replace my valve cover (parts and labor)

My Cars
    2011 535i, 2011 328i
    Well, as a person who just early month had the valve cover replaced, I agree with the full replacement. My mechanic said that while some people can cheap out and there's this gasket thing that can be customer ordered to be replaced (I don't think BMW makes the part itself, but people online I guess take it from another working valve cover), he said it is better to replace the whole thing. It was about $850 to $1000 to replace. What the issue was was this kettle whistling noise that was coming from it because that gasket thing was loose (sorry I am not a car guy so don't remember the exact names, but I saw what it looked like) - or he had to loosen the oil cap to remove the whistling noise but it was caused by some gasket on the valve cover. He explained why by showing me the valve cover why the whole thing should be replaced and even just a cursory visual inspection made me agree with his assessment.