Thread: '16 x3 diesel clicking from emissions after load

My Cars
    '05 M3, '15 535d, '16 X3

'16 x3 diesel clicking from emissions after load

Hi all, forgive me if this isnt the proper place, mods please relocate, first time poster.

I bought a CPO 2016 x3 diesel. Great car with an annoyance. After load (high RPM, warming up engine - wouldnt even call it hot) we get a clicking coming from under the cabin of the vehicle. This clicking is not coming from the engine. It's become regular, anytime we hit higher RPMs with the car, or it just warms up over time. Luckily, it's still under CPO warranty, and emissions warranty is even better. I'm about to take it to the dealership for the 4th time tomorrow. The first 3 times were all different diagnosis. The first was imbalance in tranny fluid, they performed that maintenance, the problem remains. The second time, expanding and contracting of hot metals, unfixable according to dealer. Third, the Diesel Emissions Fluid Metering module, which they said was also not fixable.

The sound is not a constant click, it's more rapid as the car is >5 mph and a little more consistent in clicking time while idle. When turned off, it continues to click for a moment, uneven timing, until it dies off after about a minute.

My thought, not knowing a bunch about diesels, is that it may be the diesel particulate filter failing to regen. The vehcile is largely not a commute car, but rather a bum around town vehicle for groceries, taking kids to park, and such.

EDIT UPDATE: Yesterday I set my cruise control to 60mph and drove roughly 45-50 minutes in order to try to get the DPF to regen. The sound remains.

TIA for any insight.

Last edited by halfk1ng; 08-07-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: add videos

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Unfortunately for you the diesels are not made for just running around town because they won't get into to regen, they also won't get into regen if the coolant temp it to low, which we found was the problem in an e70 diesel caused by a broken thermostat. does the noise change when using the heater or alc vents

My Cars
    While it may be an annoyance to you, is it possible it's just some type of mechanical noise that could be coming from something in the vehicle, and that it's totally normal? I'm a tech at a dealership, and it surprises me sometimes just how much "normal" noise people complain about, and want us to fix something when nothing is wrong.

FYI, I can't see the video you posted. Unless they're hosted by another site, and embedded, you won't be able to post pictures until you have 25 posts on the forum.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician