Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Now a BMW, but similar

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo

Now a BMW, but similar

OK, so this ins't for a BMW per se, but the topic crosses over. I just bought a W211 CDI, and am looking at OE-type android head units. There are SO MANY OPTIONS, jesus. Is there anybody that can help navigate me thru what what? I see tehre is an Avin, and the Dynavin, look to be the top 2 in terms of quality and published specs. I have an employee with a Dynavin though, and while it's supposed to be the bee's knees, his has been kinda useless, with supposed promises of software updates and features that he's never been able to use. Primarily looking for Android OS on the unit, so I'm probably NOT going to buy a Dynavin, but I am open to being convinced that I should.

Otherwise - how do you compare & contrast all the different brands? How do you know whats junk, whats not, and what the same thing as the fancy expensive ones with a lower price tag?

Main things I'm looking for: OE-look, Android interface. I need MOST & CAN interfaces, keeping stock amp for now. A camera or 2 would be nice, but not the end of the world. Quality pre-outs would be nice for adding subs next, possibly a front-stage amp upgrade as well at some point. Outside of that, I think the rest is just toys.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    First, Android is the operating system, much like Windows is the operating system in a PC. If you looking for quality disregard the cheap head units from China. They are all made in a couple factories using inferior components. They are like my first car, a used Austin Healey Sprite with 50k miles on the clock. Looked really nice but underneath lurked a myriad of issues.

I assume (me bad) you want to retain the factory Benz look. I’d definitely check out Avin. Dynavin is geared more for bimmers. While Jeff at Dynavin USA provides super customer service it sounds like your employee is having issues. Do you know which Dynavin model he has? Did he buy it from J&T Inport in Fresno, CA?

If you’re not hooked on keeping the Benz look then I recommend Alpine. The company’s head units are top notch. Go to www.crutchfield.com and enter your car’s info and search for Alpine head units That fit your car. Crutchfield’s customer care is top notch.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    I'm not an audio noobie, so don't talk to me like I am. My truck has a Kenwood Excelon in it, and I've had plenty of high quality audio gear. And for the love of christ, why on earth are you recommending Crutchfield of all places?

I'm not sure why you say Dynavin is 'more geared towards bimmers', because they have multiple MB units, as well as for a whole host of other vehicles:

Dynavin.jpg

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Kendoggy,

It's not easy to pickup who has car audio knowledge, experience or understanding and in perhaps 90% of posts on this sub forum, questions/posts are put up by such owners. Marco, like myself are perhaps the two regular posters on this sub forum and put helping out as best as possible as top priority.

From your post, it 'seems' as though you have perhaps a more limited level of car audio given the structure of your post is quite similar to many who've seen the Chinese replacement type units.

In a nutshell, as mentioned by Marco

1. If you *must* keep the OEM look, then get the Dynavin option for the car and only buy it from Jeff at J&T Distributing in Fresno CA. He's the only dealer who provides proper after sales care/support in case you need it. Anywhere else is just a box shifter.
    2. If you *must* keep the OEM look and wish to spend as little as possible, consider any of the other clone type units you see all over ebay/amazon. The support will be very much lacking in case you get issues/problems and a high percentage of people who do buy this level priced unit do get issues ranging from dead on arrival to problems that appear and get progressively worse over time.
    3. If you want a high quality, reliable and excellent unit and don't mind not having OEM looks, then any of the high quality, established brands will be good as in case of any issues, the supplying dealer will stand by the product offer a refund/exchange/repair etc.

It really all comes down to what you want !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Thanks Dennis, but i'm rally looking for first-hand experience. I know there are LOTS of people here who've bought Eonons and other cheaper (or not cheaper) units.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Kendoggy,

Plenty of members on this forum did indeed by that brand you mention as they were sponsors. Many of them posted up their experiences and it's why the forum owners either asked/kicked the brand off. The same happened on the other massive USA orientated forum. The same happened on a UK M3 specific forum!

Some may come on this thread and say their unit has been fine. Some might post here or elsewhere that their unit they picked up a few days/weeks ago, isn't working so well.

Comes down to how lucky you get if you buy one!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi Kendoggy,

Plenty of members on this forum did indeed by that brand you mention as they were sponsors. Many of them posted up their experiences and it's why the forum owners either asked/kicked the brand off. The same happened on the other massive USA orientated forum. The same happened on a UK M3 specific forum!

Some may come on this thread and say their unit has been fine. Some might post here or elsewhere that their unit they picked up a few days/weeks ago, isn't working so well.

Comes down to how lucky you get if you buy one!

Cheers, Dennis!

Ya, I sent an email to J&T a couple days ago - no response.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    I'll add a small update. After a bunch of research, most of the 'better' units are PX5 processor based. The Avin is the only one I can find so far thats based off the newer PX6 processor
    Last edited by kenndoggy; 08-07-2020 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I'm surprised anyone replied after your second post.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    I'm surprised anyone replied after your second post.

Well, when somebody posts a condescending response and doesn't answer a single question you asked, what do you expect?

And on that note, I'm still baffled at the Crutchfield response. I used Crutchfield as bathroom reading material 20 years ago. And I've never liked Alpine electronics. Their speakers - very nice for mainstream stuff. But I've A:B'd multiple Alpine head units and amps, and have never been impressed. I've sold every one I've bought very quickly after buying it, including a 9855, and a MRV-1000.
    Last edited by kenndoggy; 08-07-2020 at 10:17 PM.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Well here are some things i learned from a thread on XDA, to help anybody looking at this later (since nobody else here is willing to provide any useful info):

Of all of the Android-based head units, the current generation of processors, the 4 or 8 core Rocketchip PX5. Next gen PX6 6-core is making it's way into the newest units, and that chip has an on-chip DSP. The PX5 units had 'optional' DSP, which was a daughterboard add-on. The PX6 setup is said to be superior. Also, the newest units are coming with improved amplifier chips. The PX5 units were shipping for a long time with a TDA7851 amplifier chip (which is the same or similar to what you're going to get from most 'mainstream' head unit manufacturer). Some of the newer PX6 units seem to be coming with a better amplifier chip that I can't find right now. I've read somewhere that some of them may be a class D mosfet.

There's been some discussion on low level white noise in the units with the add-on DSP daughtercard. There's virtually no additional volume to be had with the DSP added, since it's still running thru the same amplifier chip. However, the DSP card on the PX5 units has better quality DAC's with a much higher S/N ratio. So, small SQ improvements can be made. I've not found much for specs on the on-chip DSP of the PX6 processors yet

The XDA thread in reference: https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...p-com-t3803557

Amplifier chips: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...9-5-ND/2214751

AvinUSA has a PX6 based unit, and waiting to hear back from Xtrons. I'll most likely be going with one of those 2 units. After asking around, I know people personally who've owned both, and neither have had any major issues with their units.
    Last edited by kenndoggy; 08-11-2020 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ken, please accept my apology if you thought I was condescending. Having read your post I did not get an understanding for your level of audio experience.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    According to the Xtrons rep I spoke with, they no longer have a PX6 unit for my W211, and have no plans to build one.