Thread: E36 screeching at 3k rpm after "new" motor

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is

E36 screeching at 3k rpm after "new" motor

Just installed an m50 longblock into my 95 e36. Everything seemed hooked up fine, and I filled the car with coolant and tried to run it. Car runs fine, I don't see any low oil indicators, water mixed with oil, etc. But when I was trying to bleed the system I noticed the car screeches very loudly at 3k rpm. Doesn't seem like a belt screech either

Sorry for the no headers but this video illustrates what I'm talking about:

https://youtu.be/4bFUMJtOWyQ

Any info helps, thanks!

My Cars
    90' 735iL, 90' 535i, 93'
    It actually does sound a lot like a belt. I'd remove it and see if the sound goes away. Obviously don't run it too long without accessories and what not.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    That's not a bad idea lol. Easy job. Let me go try that. I'm exhausted from working in the Texas heat so I might just not be thinking straight haha.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by chazsandiego View Post
    It actually does sound a lot like a belt. I'd remove it and see if the sound goes away. Obviously don't run it too long without accessories and what not.

Good luck!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    So I took the belt off and still hear the screetch/squeaking. Any idea what it might be? Maybe a waterpump? Couldn't be any other pulley since the serpentine is off.

https://youtu.be/wva3V3AzABo

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Bump

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    just fyi - this sub-forum moves more slowly than others - no need to bump threads often, if at all.
    you went from probably 4th on the list in this case.

as to the noise - can you pinpoint where its at? it's hard for me to tell in the video.
    that latest video was with all the belts off, right?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    just fyi - this sub-forum moves more slowly than others - no need to bump threads often, if at all.
    you went from probably 4th on the list in this case.

as to the noise - can you pinpoint where its at? it's hard for me to tell in the video.
    that latest video was with all the belts off, right?
    Oops, I apologise, I'm not very active on these forums so I didn't realize that.

Yea that last one is with the belts off so it really can't be any accessory item. I just realized the waterpump is belt driven on these too. I'm trying to pinpoint, but with the headers off, its too difficult. Maybe I'll need to throw on the rest of the exhaust to test it out.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    no worries - just thought i'd let you know.

hmm - is this an auto or manual car?

it sounds like it'll make the noise at idle too - right?
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpuck View Post
    no worries - just thought i'd let you know.

hmm - is this an auto or manual car?

it sounds like it'll make the noise at idle too - right?
    It's a manual, I just zf swapped it from the getrag. Originally it was only making the noise at around 3k rpm but it seems like now it's making it at idle too... Strange

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325is
    Ok so just an update on this older thread. Still stuck but finally got some time to remove my trans and found that maybe got a little too excited with the grease on the input shaft but would still love some input from y'all!

Just to reiterate, there's a loud screetching that was coming from the bell housing it started off slow and only at 3k or higher rpm but started doing it at idle. And while before, it was intermittent, it became nearly constant when I tried turning it on again to diagnose. Furthermore, saw light some smoke coming out of the bell housing after turning it off. Then I decided to just take the trans off and check what's going on in there. I did notice grease everywhere, which was most likely my fault for putting on too much. My guess is that after the car spun to higher rpm, it maybe threw some grease between the clutch and flywheel or pressure plate. I did also notice some spots on the pressure plate and flywheel but since its a brand new clutch I'm thinking it might've just been some break in material because I thoroughly cleaned it and every blemish came off visually at least (this can be found in video 3 below). Regardless though, now that the trans is off, I wanna knock out everything that can be a possible culprit. My thoughts are as follows:

1. Its a throwout bearing (I ruled this out since it visually looks fine, is brand new, and pressing in the clutch doesn't seem to change the noise)
    2. It was the grease and now that its cleaned up, I can re-grease it LIGHTLY (lol)
    3. Is it possibly something to do with the rear main? Might as well replace it since everything is out
    4. I was reading in another thread that someone had this problem because of their starter being bad. The one I bought is brand new but still under warranty so I guess that's the last thing ill check for which can be done after reassembly.

Did I miss anything else? Any help or even just some thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Here are the videos I posted earlier along with a new one I posted just now:
    1. https://youtu.be/4bFUMJtOWyQ (old vid)
    2. https://youtu.be/wva3V3AzABo (old vid)
    3. https://youtu.be/yTIS56vWRxg (New vid of clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel)

If I missed any info, lmk!