Thread: Puking fuel out of vent line

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S

Puking fuel out of vent line

When I converted my E36 to a race car I deleted the OE fuel vent and evap system. In it's place I ran a rubber vent line off the tank where the blue plastic line was up to the top of the passenger side wheel well. I looped the line there a few times as I've seen suggested in many DIYs etc.

When I take left hand turns fuel pukes out of this vent line crazy. What I don't understand though is what I've done for a vent seems to be exactly what others here have suggested and they have no issues. I even have the problem at close to a half tank of fuel. If I fill it up, forget about it.

Is there something I'm missing? What are endurance guys doing for a fuel vent? I have 3 weeks to go before the next event and need to come up with something that will solve this for good.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    So, you need to run with 3/4 tank or more of fuel? Honestly, I'd put the expansion tank back on, and then vent the hose that went to the canister in the front of the engine, somewhere under the wheel well.

I finally got mine to not puke fuel as long as I'm at ~1/2 tank or less. Capped all the small hoses, vented the big vent hose that goes up to the fuel inlet.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    you need this: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...RecID=7265#:~:

You can run with full tank and never have issues. We use in all our cars run have full fuel for enduro.

Make sure it is mounted higher than the filler. Ours is on the cage on passenger B-pillar and in the rear deck on other car. You will need steel braided AN lines if running fuel lines in the cabin.
    Last edited by ScotcH; 08-06-2020 at 12:06 PM.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    That's a nice piece, and I may upgrade to that.
    That said, I'm not sure (for some cars at least, and with OEM fuel tank) what advantage that has over the OEM expansion tank.
    Obviously if you've upgraded/rerouted fuel lines, ripped out most of the original stuff, etc, something like this is needed.

BUT, someone just sent me a pic of a Spec E36 car with rear right quarter panel on fire...cause of this issue.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 08-06-2020 at 01:05 PM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    That's a nice piece, and I may upgrade to that.
    That said, I'm not sure (for some cars at least, and with OEM fuel tank) what advantage that has over the OEM expansion tank.
    Obviously if you've upgraded/rerouted fuel lines, ripped out most of the original stuff, etc, something like this is needed.

BUT, someone just sent me a pic of a Spec E36 car with rear right quarter panel on fire...cause of this issue.
    Of course ... it's a race car piece, and certainly the OEM setup is probably fine. Just leave it all in place, including the evap stuff. No real reason to remove.

But if you want to do it, it's super easy. Just hook up a 3/4" hose to the big nipple on the tank that normally goes to the overflow, put an AN fitting on it, and run it to the discriminator valve, then another hose out the back of the car. Plug every other nipple on the tank. Done.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    Of course ... it's a race car piece, and certainly the OEM setup is probably fine. Just leave it all in place, including the evap stuff. No real reason to remove.

But if you want to do it, it's super easy. Just hook up a 3/4" hose to the big nipple on the tank that normally goes to the overflow, put an AN fitting on it, and run it to the discriminator valve, then another hose out the back of the car. Plug every other nipple on the tank. Done.
    Thanks, good info. That big 'overfill/vent' hose is what I'm currently using, with attached long looped hose and filter. It's....OK. But spills a little at much above 1/2 tank.
    Pegasus discriminator valve, bookmarked.