Thread: Water pump play / damage from overheat?

My Cars
    bmw 325i e30

Water pump play / damage from overheat?

Is a small bit of play in the water pump normal? It has only done a few thousand k's but I accidentally cranked the car over while I still had a spanner on the crank bolt. The spanner wedged against the viscous fan, so is a small bit of play normal or should it be rock solid meaning this is from being hit with the spanner?

Crank bolt came loose aswell, opinions seem mixed on whether to re-use it or not

Car also overheated yeap i'm not having the best luck. Can overheating damage the composite waterpump and/or thermostat? Before I get jumped on for having a composite waterpump the reviews for the saleri brand composite were better than the ones for the other brand metal impeller one which some people had early failure with.

I know the easy answer is just replace it doesn't cost much but it adds up when you put it all together so don't want to throw away money for no reason

Thanks

My Cars
    99 M3

Water pump play / damage from overheat?

If there is play in the shaft of the water pump, replace it. Saleri is the OE supplier. Heat is never good for plastics or rubber components.
    I’ve been using Hepu bent-welded-sheet metal impeller WP with good luck, on two vehicles.
    It is possible (and likely) that the T-Stat was damaged in the overheat, replace it as well. Follow torque spec for both water pump and T-Stat housing fasteners...especially the T-Stat housing, using a cross pattern. There are two different fasteners for the T-Stat housing and two different torque values.
    You may have to address corrosion and pitting of the T-Stat housing gasket surface of the head as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 08-03-2020 at 09:43 PM.