Thread: 2010 Mini Cooper - has sparks but doesn't start

My Cars
    2010 mini Cooper

Question 2010 Mini Cooper - has sparks but doesn't start

Hello,

I'm looking for help diagnosing a start issue with my 2010 mini cooper. I'm not experience with cars but I have an older mechanic with over 40 years of experience; just not with new computerized vehicles.

My car stall out while driving and we couldn't restart.

We ran a bunch of diagnostics and replaced various parts throughout the life of this car without issues.

After the car stalled, we replaced the battery, replaced the ECU (clone from my current one). The original one has shorted. It could be by us trying to jump start the car. I don't know.

After we install the new ECU, we cleared all the code and re-read. No code. But the car still didn't start. It seems like it almost want to start at the beginning.

We have:
    - Sparks
    - Voltage from Relay in fuse box to DME cable to coils
    - compression
    - gas pump is functioning (line has gas sprayed out, we tested by draining and filling multiple times).

After we tried to started a few time, we were able to read one code; P15E8.

I did some google search and it related to the coolant sensor. We never touch that part the entire diag. We removed and check the sensor anyway. It seems fine. I think the reading was 4.4 ohm. I'm not sure. We tried to bypass the sensor with a wire, clear the code but the car still didn't start.

The mechanic said that with compression, sparks, and fuel, the car should have startup but he doesn't know why it doesn't.

Does anyone know if the clone DME has issue with the CAS? Would a ECU return any code if there is issue with the CAS? I'm looking for any help or anything else to look for.

Thank in advance!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would tow it to and independent min shop and have them take a look

My Cars
    2010 mini Cooper

Thank you for replying to my thread...

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I would tow it to and independent min shop and have them take a look
    I might have to as the last resort. I still like to understand what the job might cost so I don't get scam. I just haven't had any good experience with dealers in the past...

My Cars
    2010 mini Cooper
    My car is working again. As it turns out, the timing is off on the car. Further, the plastic on the rail also got dislodge on the rail and wedge into the gear. It got changed, plastic clear from and around the oil pan but i heard a loud bang after the car is started the first time. Does anyone know what that noise is? The mechanic thinks it just because there isn't any oil to lube the chain the first time it start. But not sure. I'm hoping someone here could help. He's planning on looking at it again next week but it could save me some time if someone knows. Other than that, the car seem to drive good. no code.

My Cars
    2015 BMWX5
    I am not the expert in thsi field. I can recommend you to consult with local dealers in your region.