Thread: Ouch, maybe. first time joining forum power train malfunction

My Cars
    2016 BMW 550i

Unhappy Ouch, maybe. first time joining forum power train malfunction

Ok hello everyone. New to the forum, 2016 550i 45,000 miles. Yesterday was a huge bad day for me, some of my own making.
    The worst of all was receiving power train malfunction during merging on to the road the engine started to cut out all of a sudden and the power train malfunction came in as the engine died and left me stranded in the middle turn lane of a busy road. got it to crank and drive out of the road but only made it 200 ft before it cut off again. Had it towed to the dealer.

They just called and wanted approval of $450 to check the fuel system, compression, and After I asked to check ignition. I'm really worried I thought these days there are hundreds of sensors that should pinpoint the source of the problem in most cases. The service rep said it only indicated misfiring on some of the cylinders. when he mentioned compression checks I was shocked.

So Anyone know where I can get a complete list of sensors monitoring the powertrain so I can ask intelligent questions? Like what did the fuel pressure sensor indicate.....if such a sensor is included. or is there a list of sensor codes I could then cobble a list of sensors from?

Thanks for any help

My Cars
    2016 BMW 550i
    By the way the rest of my bad day was my home air conditioning was out of service and my cable and internet and home phone were out because I forgot to re-close the breaker that powered my home fiber connection while I was troubleshooting the AC. The cable guy discovered the lack of power��. Then the car STB. Want another laugh I just phoned the dealer to verify there was gas in the tank because I never even thought to check it. I'm pretty sure some one put a hex on me yesterday. Before you ask the tank was half full, the AC is back after only a $200 service call and I'm Cooled and re-connected today.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotthear View Post
    By the way the rest of my bad day was my home air conditioning was out of service and my cable and internet and home phone were out because I forgot to re-close the breaker that powered my home fiber connection while I was troubleshooting the AC. The cable guy discovered the lack of power��. Then the car STB. Want another laugh I just phoned the dealer to verify there was gas in the tank because I never even thought to check it. I'm pretty sure some one put a hex on me yesterday. Before you ask the tank was half full, the AC is back after only a $200 service call and I'm Cooled and re-connected today.
    same thing happened to me a month after I bought my CPO 2014. turned out to be faulty injectors and there is a technical bulletin covering it, so BMW replaced 4 of them covered under the remaining service warranty.

with that being said, Drivetrain Malfunction is a "catch all" on the Connected Drive display and doesn't tell you anything. you need either a good OBDII code reader, or ISTA for a proper diagnosis.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 550i
    OBD Codes indicate misfires on 1-4. Dealer recommends replacing the hp fuel pump on that rail. So now I'm worried the other pump may leave me stranded again. They are already estimating $2200+ which includes their troubleshooting efforts and I'm feeling like a trip to the dry cleaner.

Anyone replaced one of these pumps DIY? The dealer is also telling me the pump is $1000 but I found brand new pumps online <$250. Any BMW technicians out there who can advise the reasonable labor hours required to do the job? I'm happy to pay my fair share for labor but I don't like being taken advantage of. And the BMW sticker is not worth 300% markup. I bet BMW buys them from Bosch anyway. Any one installed bosch pumps that can comment on quality/reliability.

My Cars
    97 528, 95 525, 03 525
    Hi! Thats rough for sure but could be worse! I dont know about that year and make but bosch is top shelf, i wouldnt hesitate

My Cars
    F10 535i, E90 335i
    The dealer will always, ALWAYS charge Ludacris prices for everything. Labor, parts. One time I contacted them for my own amusement to ask about a door lock actuator for my e90. They said "$329." I laughed audibly and hung up. Got a pair of two brand new ones from FCP Euro for $60.

Also, you need to get a proprietary Android/iPhone code reader app specific to BMW. OBD2 is worthless. I have the old iCarly Bluetooth reader and software on my phone, but since they've made it a yearly subscription now, may not be worth it. Either way, you can scan the car yourself with your phone for 100$ (app purchase plus adapter), Google the codes, buy the parts for a fraction of dealer cost, and then go to an indie shop and have them do it if you won't do it yourself.