Thread: New Battery has to be reset

My Cars
    2008 BMW535XI

New Battery has to be reset

I need to buy a new battery for 08' 535XI and while looking at batteries they have a note stating that the computer has to be reset to the battery. I have a VEEPEAK OBDcheck and have Bimmercode and Bimmerlink installed on my phone. Does anyone know if either will do this task?

My Cars
    2008 BMW535XI

New Battery has to be reset?

I have to replace the battery on my 08 535xi and when looking at new batteries they all have a note that says the computer has to be reset after replacing. I have a VEEPEAK OBDCheck and have Bimmercode and Bimmerlink already on my phone. My question is will either reset the computer and if so what is the procedure to do it? Thanx for anyones help.

My Cars
    2010 528xi
    I replaced my 2010 528i battery 4 years ago and never bothered to reset or reprogram. The original battery lasted 6 years and the replacement is still strong after 4. Even if it dies tomorrow, I'm happy because the money I saved from reprogramming by dealer can buy me another new battery. They claim that the charging of the AGM battery should vary depending on the age of the battery. Even if this is true, I think it only makes very minor difference. The computer may "think" my battery is 10-year-old but it never complained.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530d saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by panabiker View Post
    I replaced my 2010 528i battery 4 years ago and never bothered to reset or reprogram. The original battery lasted 6 years and the replacement is still strong after 4. Even if it dies tomorrow, I'm happy because the money I saved from reprogramming by dealer can buy me another new battery. They claim that the charging of the AGM battery should vary depending on the age of the battery. Even if this is true, I think it only makes very minor difference. The computer may "think" my battery is 10-year-old but it never complained.
    I'd have thought (but don't quote me) that you could get away with no reprogramming if you carry out the process as a kind of 'swapover' whilst the engine is running. Use a pair of jump leads to ensure there's the old or the new battery connected at all times and you should be fine. How can the EMU know any better?
    I can't see what the idea of coding a new battery is anyway, other than a ruse to make (even) more money for the main dealer....

My Cars
    2010 528xi
    I didn't even attempt to do a hot swap. The old battery died and couldn't start the car. I drove another car to buy the new battery. It's a heavy battery and in a less than convenient location so it took at least a few minutes from disconnecting the old one to reconnecting the new one. I don't remember if I had to reprogram the radio stations and other convenience features, probably not. I was also curious what would happen without reprogramming, and figured if the check engine light comes on, I might have to spend another $150 at the dealer. Well, nothing happened so far. It's also a very reliable car. After the first 4 years of complimentary maintenance, it never went into any shops.
    Last edited by panabiker; 07-31-2020 at 09:46 PM.

My Cars
    2007 550i
    If, when you change batteries, you change battery types (AGM<->Lead Water) you need to have that programmed. If you are keeping the same type of battery its not as big of a deal.