Thread: Thoughts on parting out my turbo e30

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i coupe

Thoughts on parting out my turbo e30

This isn't a "fishing" post, not looking for people interested. I just want a reality check before I go getting myself stuck in a mistake. I'll make an appropriate post when (if) I get to that point.

I put many years into building my dream e30. I started a post here but never finished it (despite nearly finishing the car) because life got busy. Made around 450 BHP at 18 PSI, absolutely a dream to drive daily, noisy but not annoying, awesome stereo, zero rust. Took one ditzy broad watching her GPS instead of the stop sign to ruin it. Insurance screwed me. I got a little something for my troubles, but not enough for another rust-free e30 in this market.

I did find a nice e36 M3 with a nearly flawless body. Just needs some rubber, a gauge cluster, and some TLC and it'll be ready for... activities. Basically the cash I got from my e30 will cover getting the M3 and making it complete, but then I'd like to turbocharge it. I'm aiming for about the same power my e30 made, maybe a little more, which is cake on that motor.

Question is, am I crazy to expect to get enough out of my e30 parts to finance a turbo e39 project? Or at least mostly?

The e30 shell is a total loss. But the driveline is still good. It would potentially be "take a couple weekends and bolt 450+ BHP into a good chassis" for somebody. It would need some small stuff like pulleys and a water pump (smashed in the wreck), but otherwise it's complete. I could even be convinced to do this stuff for a buyer.

I guess I wish I was more vain sometimes, as I only have one video of the car running in it's most recent configuration, but only on about 5psi of boost (was running about 18-20 at the time of the crash dialing in the boost controller via the MS2).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJa_5K2QIQw

Driveline overview:
    Recent-ish fully rebuilt M20B27 block with M20 B25 head & intake (maybe 10k to 15k miles on the motor)
    MS2 fully programmed with custom plug-in wiring harness including functional IAC and boost control
    Full electronic ignition (coils from a Mitusbishi 3000 GT VR-4 controlled by MS2)
    Holset HX35 with quick-spool housing
    Equal length runner tubular turbo header (ebay sourced, but decent quality)
    Tial 38mm wastegate with screamer pipe
    Custom tig welded aluminum charge pipe with blowoff valve and silicone couplers
    Full, custom welded 3" exhaust with muffler and custom welded exhaust tip
    Oil filter relocation kit (generic kit modified with tig welded fittings to clear the exhaust header)
    Rebuilt driveshaft with stronger parts to accommodate larger guibo (can't remember what the front part of the driveshaft came off of, I think it was a newer 3 series)
    3.63 LSD
    Slotted/welded alignable rear subframe
    Reinforced trailing arms
    Custom machined lightweight flywheel
    Spec clutch stage 4 pressure plate with South Bend friction disk (not a "puck" ceramic type, firm pedal, but not bad for driving in traffic)

I also have a few other parts that never got installed like a perfect dashboard, a door, and some trim.

I have tons of pictures, most of them are scattered.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Anything you do to get into a turbo E36 is going to be a good decision.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325i coupe
    I was half asleep when I wrote this (insomnia is a bitch).

I guess what I'm asking is do you guys think I can sell the driveline (either complete or parted out) to get enough cash to turbocharge the e36? In my mind, it is. But I also thought I could prove to the insurance company that my e30 was worth way more than they gave me.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by rtuite View Post
    I guess what I'm asking is do you guys think I can sell the driveline (either complete or parted out) to get enough cash to turbocharge the e36?
    Turbo M20 is a smaller market for sure, depends on if you are willing to spend the time/energy to sell every last part, etc. and then spend the same time on waiting and finding deals on used parts to turbo the E36.

My Cars
    BMWs
    Drop that shit on r3vlimited it'll be gone in 2 weeks