RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Auto Drive and Reverse Whine

My Cars
    328i manual sport coupe

Auto Drive and Reverse Whine

Hi guys. I have a whine whilst being in drive and reverse only while stationary not moving! could someone give me some help? Prop shaft? Gearbox? Or bearings?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    more details please, which 3 series model, built year, mileage..... https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ose-your-issue
    Did you recheck the transmission fluid? when did you last time change the trans fluid?
    Last edited by shogun; 07-29-2020 at 05:31 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    328i manual sport coupe

Thanks, its a 328i auto 1996.. its actually a squeel noise, i will try upload a video

Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    more details please, which 3 series model, built year, mileage..... https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ose-your-issue
    Did you recheck the transmission fluid? when did you last time change the trans fluid?

i was told the transmission oil never needs changing as it is sealed?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ahhhh, “lifetime fluids”! That was a marketing ploy. Yes, the fluid and filter can and must be changed. I’ve never owned a bimmer with an automatic transmission, but the consensus is that the fluid and filter need to be changed every 50-60k miles. No, the transmission is not sealed!
    Be advised that BMW sourced automatic transmissions from GM of France and ZF of Germany. They are different transmissions. The fluid pan on the GM transmission GM has smooth sides. The ZF fluid pan has ribs. They use different fluids!

How many miles on the car? I ask because your transmission may be due for a fluid flush? Huh? When the fluid is drained, the pan dropped the filter swapped and it’s all put back together there are ~6 quarts of used transmission fluid remaining in the transmission!!!! So, when the tech adds new fluid it’s mixed with the old stuff! A fluid flush uses the transmission cooler hoses that run from the transmission to the transmission fluid cooler (located next to the engine radiator) to exchange all of the fluid. Basically, the tech removes the hoses from the cooler and connects them to a machine. The machine has 2 tanks. One tank is empty while the other is filled with the appropriate transmission fluid. The car is started and the transmission’s internal pump sends the dirty fluid to the empty tank and sucks fresh fluid from the other tank. If you decide to have the fluid exchanged DO NOT LET THE TECH PUT A DETERGENT OR OTHER CLEANING AGENT IN THE TANK WITH THE NEW FLUID! Why? After all those miles gunk has a tendency to build up in various parts of the transmission. Putting a cleaning agent in the fresh fluid dislodges the gunk which can block fluid passages in the transmission.

My Cars
    328i manual sport coupe
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure what it is now. As its started to slighting squeel in park too. When i accelarate in park a little you can hear the squeel

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Ok, pop the hood and have someone rev the engine. Maybe that’ll help you find the source of the noise. The noise isn’t coming from the driveshaft as the car isn’t moving. I use the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels to help locate the source of noises. It’s cheap but it works. Definitely have the transmission fluid checked.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    see here how to check the trans fluid the correct way/procedure :BMW Transmission Fluid level check http://www.europeantransmission.com/...MWtechinfo.htm
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!