Thread: 2011 X3 28i Start but wont turnover.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3

2011 X3 28i Start but wont turnover.

Hi there! Names B and I here to hopefully get some advice on where to look to fix this spaceship of a car. I am somewhat knowledgeable with a multimeter and craftsmen toolset so I hope this is something I can manage with some direction.

Info:
    2011 X3 with 50k ish miles. A week ago it was low battery charge code saying it was going to deactivate certain electrical features for sake of battery. I thought , "ok I should drive her more". Put about 150 miles in one day (last sunday) starting and stopping for some errands and all was good, electrical warning cleared, healthy starting no hesitation. Afterward, parked the car and left it for 3 days. Then went to start it, it would engage starter, sounding healthy, but once the RPM hits 1k, it just shuts off. Engine wants to start but will not turn over. The dash screen says DME ( drivetrain malfunction error). So i said ok screw it sounds like its a bad battery from research/computer hunch. I purchased a new AGM battery equivalent replacement and installed it. Went to start it, and it replicated the same no start condition with the DME popping up. Its almost as if there's no spark or maybe no fuel, but I can smell gas from the exhaust after 2 no starts. It is very reminiscent of a dirtbike starting with not enough throttle.

My questions:

1) Even if I was very careful with the little module on the positive of the battery, would a loose cable/connection or something on that part of the battery connection prevent the car from turning over during start sequence? Is there anything I can jumper to see if the computer is preventing my start?

2) Is there any way the BMW computer would prevent starting based off a previous error?

3) Would clearing error codes with an OBDII do anything??

Thanks for any info,

B

My Cars
    Zed4
    Kinda hard to understand what you mean by "Engine wants to start but will not turn over" this make no sense to me.
    What is the exact battery voltage?
    Hook up a diagnostic reading and read the error codes.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    Kinda hard to understand what you mean by "Engine wants to start but will not turn over" this make no sense to me.
    What is the exact battery voltage?
    Hook up a diagnostic reading and read the error codes.

"Wants to start but wont turnover"- Starter is operating at full functionality. It's turning/cranking the motor but not "catching" and actually starting a cycling combustion process.

Battery Voltage was 12.7. Battery brand new.

Diagnostic was garbage. It initially said some BS about cam position sensor and stuff, but after disconnecting and reconnecting the power module the car started without issue. I am inclined to believe it is either a problem with the Power distribution panel on the battery or wherever the connections on top of the battery go to. I read there is a recurring problem with f25's and the Power distribution module and the 100 amp fuses on them. I may have to dig into the car further to find it. I got the car to start finally but not consistently. Thinking the PDM must have shorted out somewhere.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    UPDATE:

Mechanic who load tested the battery said that this was an Eccentric Shaft sensor failure. But I got the car started in order to drive to the shop. At the shop I stopped and started the car numerous times and it was ok. So could an eccentric shaft sensor just go in and out like that? Why would it work only after being driven a half hour and then two days sitting not?

My Cars
    Zed4
    Quote Originally Posted by FaithfulBMW View Post
    "Wants to start but wont turnover"- Starter is operating at full functionality. It's turning/cranking the motor but not "catching" and actually starting a cycling combustion process.
    Ok, that's why I was confused. Turnover means the starter is turning the engine, hence turnover, catching means the spark plugs are firing and the fuel is burning, but the engine does not continue to stay running.

Use diagnostic scanner that reads BMW specific error codes and check for stored codes periodically to help diagnose.

Us

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Of course sensors can go out when ever they , I've had the engine run badly with the shaft sensor bad, check for oil in the connector to the sensor, did you have a fault stored for that

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    I always use the terms, cranks but won't fire.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    2011 bmw x3
    Sorry! Local mechanic uses "turnover" to describe an engine that actually begins the combustion cycle running! So I stole the verbiage from him. But I totally see how that could get confusing! My bad.

Eccentric Shaft sensor failure was read by BMW mech computer. Mechanic said he changed the sensor under the valve cover and the car was running good as new. Hopefully stays that way! I am a little bit skeptical as that wasn't the only code thrown by computer but all were resolved after mech returned the car so we will see. Not sure how a critical sensor like that on a BMW fails with only 50k miles but cest la vie. I believe any car is a good car as long as you take care of it. Thanks for the input!

My Cars
    Zed4
    No worries on the teminology, just needed to know what it was doing to provide a good answer.

Electronics are voodoo, it could fail the first minute, the 1000th hour or in 100 years, you never know, but most of the time, if a sensor fails, the computer puts the car in limp mode so it doesn't leave you stranding.