Thread: E31 Headliner Install

My Cars
    97 BMW 840 ci

E31 Headliner Install

I am reinstalling my reupholstered headliner in my 97 840. Do I install the sliding panel before or after installing the headliner? I assume it has to be before, otherwise it will be impossible to click the panel onto the toothed racks. And is the sliding panel installed with the sunroof in the tit open position?

My Cars
    1997 e31
    I removed and installed sliding panel by dropping cartridge assembly down at rear and sliding panel out to rear window. So it came out last and went in first.
    Sunroof tilted to reach in and release the racks and did same at re-assembly.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840 CI
    Quote Originally Posted by AJe31 View Post
    I removed and installed sliding panel by dropping cartridge assembly down at rear and sliding panel out to rear window. So it came out last and went in first.
    Sunroof tilted to reach in and release the racks and did same at re-assembly.
    Thanks, I disassembled it several years ago and after all the restoration work and repaint, I am at the final step of installing the new headliner. I should have taken notes because when I look back at Timms and Frankies instructions, it is not quite clear except that you reverse steps to re-install.

Thanks again, the last thing I need is to soil the new panel material

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    You need to take the sunroof lid off anyway to get the clips on the headliner... so you could undo the slides and drop it in from the top.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    1997 e31
    One of the suppliers/shops suggested the plastic fasteners may break if racks unscrewed/removed from top (age/sun) was reason I did mine that way.

Not sure how OP disassembled his.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840 CI
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post
    You need to take the sunroof lid off anyway to get the clips on the headliner... so you could undo the slides and drop it in from the top.
    Thanks, good point. I did have the metal sun roof panel off and as you suggested, I dropped the sliding hide panel in from the top with the mechanism and rails in the closed position. The hide panel snapped easily into the toothed rails but it slides over the track rather than under, in the closed position. I think the upholsterer pulled the material too tight and flattened the hide panel just enough so it won't slide into the rails. I pushed it into position under the rails and parked it in the sun for a little while and will let it sit in the garage overnight to see if the panel takes its shape again. If that doesn't work, I'll take it out and try to massage it back into shape. This 8 series sunroof is quite a challenge.

My Cars
    1997 e31
    I cut material back at edges 1/8 or so on each side (post here on this site as material is 1/8 thick now not "flat" like original)..so material wouldnt catch in toothed racks..not sure if that helps or not, or if absolutely needed!
    You will need total 16 clips (from memory) to snap the HL back in place in case you have forgotten about them!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840 CI
    I hadn't thought about that. I think you may be right. I may have to do the same. The new material, if thicker than original, will raise the panel just enough to cause it to ride over the track rather than under. I know the original headliner had thin padding. I had to clean it off the headliner panel before sending to the upholsterer. This new material has very thin integrated padding but maybe a bit thicker than orig. Thanks, very helpful

My Cars
    1997 e31
    The old material will have a black wear mark about 3/16 wide where the rail rubbed on it...it is nearly flat after that. Not sure if you have your old piece to see that. Gary from socal 8's suggested it to me...and/or he has a post on here. I cut about an eighth off edge to be conservative ...

My Cars
    1995 840Ci Cosmos Black
    The interior panel should go on after the headliner is installed. It will make sense after you install the headliner. Check that the panel's material does not drag against the headliner material or it will jam the sunroof mechanism and stress the plastic gears, racks, and lift parts. Install the sunroof interior panel after ensuring that the sunroof mechanism (with the outer panel installed) is working smoothly.

The outer sunroof panel needs to be removed a second time before installing the interior panel (that's the way I've done it to minimize problems). Avoid operating the sunroof mechanism without the exterior panel attached, although you can "fake it" by connecting the sliding parts with rods so they don't twist and do bad things if you truly want to move them without the outer panel attached.

Currently, my sunroof is "simplified" until I redo the headliner and pillar material later this year. Good luck! Can't wait to see completed photos. ;-)

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO shave the new material so it isn't as thick on the edges or your entire mechanism will bind / break / fail.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    I removed ALL the crappy foam and installed ultra suede WITHOUT any backing. It looks very nice and there is no binding whatsoever.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    97 BMW 840 ci
    [QUOTE=TxGR8White;30518551]I removed ALL the crappy foam and installed ultra suede WITHOUT any backing. It looks very nice and there is no binding whatsoever.[/QUOTEI have attached photos .

I removed the headliner floating panel because it is still riding up onto, rather than into the slide rails. I forced it in yesterday and let it sit overnight. You can see the 1/8" impression made by the rail on the upholstered visible side of the panel that faces down into the car. I did search but could not find the prior post referenced on this subject, so I just want to clarify that the suggestion here is to trim the 1/8" of material on the upholstered side of the panel and remove the material that was stretched over the sides and glued to the underside of the panel that faces up to the roof and is not visible. This will allow the panel to ride within the rails with no material contacting the top or bottom of the metal slide rail. Is this correct? I am assuming then, the upholstery material if glued properly, will not separate from the panel inside the car.

IMG_4737 1.jpgIMG_4738 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840 CI
    Ok. I trimmed the panel top and bottom approx 3/16 to 1/4" on both sides. The panel slides more freely on the bare metal but it is still riding up in front and on top of the rail. I am out of ideas. Any additional ideas are welcome. Thanks much, I really do appreciate the suggestions

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    [QUOTE=Deblo;30518753]
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    I removed ALL the crappy foam and installed ultra suede WITHOUT any backing. It looks very nice and there is no binding whatsoever.[/QUOTEI have attached photos .

I removed the headliner floating panel because it is still riding up onto, rather than into the slide rails. I forced it in yesterday and let it sit overnight. You can see the 1/8" impression made by the rail on the upholstered visible side of the panel that faces down into the car...
    This is why I used fabric with absolutely no foam on the back. It doesn’t look “puffy” and it appears very stock, plus I don’t have ANY binding or rubbing ANYWHERE there are moving parts. I also like how much nicer the transition from the pillar covers to the headliner looks.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 840 CI
    All is working now. My final issue is that upon closing the roof panel from the tilt or full open position, the panel is low on the rear corners. When I briefly touch the tilt button, the roof panel returns to a level position on all four corners. I have the rear torx bolts adjusted so the roof panel is at its highest position. Any ideas. All plastic sunroof parts have been replaced.