Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who wants the best Strut Brace ever Made?

My Cars
    Coupes...

Who wants the best Strut Brace ever Made?

I got this Rogue Engineer Strut brace on the SG, and I think its my hands down favorite.

However, there were only 5 made and that was that, I guess people don't like one piece all aluminum hand welded strut braces that fit the S54.

Granted the Strong Strut is a good piece, but its a solid thick bar that's many times heavier than the RE special. I own two, and wouldn't remove a SS for the RE special racing brace, but I have 4 coupes so you already know I'm categorically insane.

Ben has graciously offered to have another made for me after some ribbing from my buddy Milla, and I was going to see if anyone else wants to get in on the action.

Its the best looking and best fitting for Z3s, hands down.

There have been only 5 made.

That gives me a 20% market share, but if there are 6 and I have 2, then my market share goes up to 33%.

If you have serious interest, then chime in and we can make it happen.

20200718_154101.jpg
    Last edited by mpire; 07-23-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2011 911 turboM Roadster
    I would be interested, how much?

My Cars
    z3
    Yeah. How much

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Now that StrongStrut is (at least temporarily) out of business, this is a good niche market. Do you have an image?
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1988 Pathfinder
    Interested as well

My Cars
    '00 Z3M, '06 Z4M
    Interested, depending on the price.
    Check out my M Roadster projects and DIYs:
    Cooling system part 1: https://youtu.be/ERqztIL1DPw
    Cooling system part 2: https://youtu.be/-DnclDkn2hI
    Power convertible top: https://youtu.be/KLYNqkCBh_M
    Head unit removal: https://youtu.be/LKe9fPKrAqE

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I attached a google images picture, hopefully it shows up.

I'm thinking it will be between $400 and $600.

However, I think asking for 5 more would make for a better price each.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Now that StrongStrut is (at least temporarily) out of business, this is a good niche market. Do you have an image?
    Really? That's bad news. Paul has always been great with the customer service.

I'll send him an email to see what he has in the Z3 category left over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    Pics?
    I think I posted one.

I'm trying.

IMG_20200718_154208.jpg
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    Sorry for the ignorant question, but I'm guessing by the number of people interested, the strut brace provides a noticeable improvement in front end stiffness?

My Cars
    z3
    So like, $300 with enough people? Or $600, and $400 with enough people? Or $600 and then take the number of people buying, use that as a multiplier for the discount, exponentially decreasing with each additional person, on a range of $0-300 discounted. So we could all work together to define the formula for exponential decay to determine the cost. Itll be like a fun math problem, only not fun, and incredibly pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by scenturion View Post
    Sorry for the ignorant question, but I'm guessing by the number of people interested, the strut brace provides a noticeable improvement in front end stiffness?
    Honestly its a blingy placebo generator but it sure do look perty

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Yes, it noticably improved the front stiffness so your car rattles less.

Does it make it handle better? No.

Does it make it faster? No.

Does it add horsepower? No.

Its just eye candy to be honest, but IF a strut brace could improve handling then this one would be the one.

No moving parts, no screws, no adjustment, just bolt it on and done.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Yes, it noticably improved the front stiffness so your car rattles less.

Does it make it handle better? No.

Does it make it faster? No.

Does it add horsepower? No.

Its just eye candy to be honest, but IF a strut brace could improve handling then this one would be the one.

No moving parts, no screws, no adjustment, just bolt it on and done.
    I'll be honest, at this point reducing rattles would be a much bigger benefit than better handling or more power

My Cars
    N/A
    S54 compliant right? Seems to plenty of options on the S52 front.

My Cars
    '20 X3MC, '01 Z3M
    I'll be honest, at this point reducing rattles would be a much bigger benefit than better handling or more power
    +1

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    So like, $300 with enough people? Or $600, and $400 with enough people?
    Its more like: hey Ben, can you go re-make that thing you made for me before that you only sold 5 of and then you probably made no profit but I'll harass you forever if you don't do this for me kinda thing.

I think no MORE than $600. They probably still have the jigs somewhere. However, I still feel guilty about Ben making all those custom shift carriers and kits for the 6 Z3 speed conversions when not many people bought them.

He does stuff like this just because he is a good guy, its not like he's making any money of the Z3 crowd and he still supports us.

I am just looking for a general number at this point to get him to pull out his calculator.

1) Mpire
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    If you want to reduce rattles, you are better off tightening screws and adding some felt tape where plastic pieces meet. Besides, the Dinan strut bar has a carbon fiber inlay CARBON FIBER! and it says Dinan which adds horsepower on its own.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    I'd probably be interested in this if it's $400, but not a whole lot above that, and definitely not at $600.

On the 6 speed conversation front, have the cost of the right 6speed transmissions gotten any more reasonable as they've gotten older? As I recall, it was quite an investment back in the day to do that job. Just curious if it's gotten any cheaper.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I'd probably be interested in this if it's $400, but not a whole lot above that, and definitely not at $600.

On the 6 speed conversation front, have the cost of the right 6speed transmissions gotten any more reasonable as they've gotten older? As I recall, it was quite an investment back in the day to do that job. Just curious if it's gotten any cheaper.
    The transmission, clutch and flywheel out of an E46 will fit, I've done 2 or 3 of them. I am not positive of the source (M3 or 330 say) as I did none of the parts gathering, the customers always have, but the information must be out there (Just ask Jameson, his was the most recent...).

My Cars
    2002 Impala, 1997 Jeep
    If this is for the S54, I would buy one. Unless someone is selling a Strong Strut!

My Cars
    z3

Any E46 6 speed will work, pretty much any BMW I6 6 speed will work up until N52

They are about $1k for a trans now. The E46 M3 SMG trans also has conversion bellhousings now for $500, and those SMG trans can be found pretty easily around $500. Plus driveshaft shortening ($250 after shipping and return shipping if nobody local to you does it) and then shift linkage shortened and rewelded together... Parts-wise, should be under $1500. Even less if you are thrifty and have local driveshaft shops

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    2002 M coupe & 2008 M3
    S54 guy here also interested. Currently using a hinged Wiechers Sport brace that surely does nothing.
    2002 M coupe - Imola/Imola, 18" BBS LM, Wilwood BBK, TC Kline S/A coilovers, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, SS Section 1 race cats, SS Section 2 X-pipe, SS Race exhaust, 3.73 differential, Sport mode, Dinan ECU
    2008 M3 sedan - Melbourne/Black, 6MT, AA test pipes, Dinan exhaust, BPM Sport tune, Dinan intake, Swift springs

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    If you want to reduce rattles, you are better off tightening screws and adding some felt tape where plastic pieces meet. Besides, the Dinan strut bar has a carbon fiber inlay CARBON FIBER! and it says Dinan which adds horsepower on its own.
    I tried... turns out taking apart the interior to put felt tape tends to break the fragile interior panels or clips and make things worse
    The B pillar design is absolutely crazy with how many plastic on plastic interfaces there are to squeak.

I'd be interested at $400 but probably not $600.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueM3Racer View Post
    S54 guy here also interested. Currently using a hinged Wiechers Sport brace that surely does nothing.
    A strut tower brace functions primarily in tension, not compression, so a steel cable stretched between the towers would be nearly as effective (not so much cosmetically perhaps...)

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    A strut tower brace functions primarily in tension, not compression, so a steel cable stretched between the towers would be nearly as effective (not so much cosmetically perhaps...)
    I'm sure you have seen plenty of braces in your tenure.

You can't tell me that this isn't the prettiest!

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    '02 BMW Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    The trick might be stretching the cable and securing it at a functional degree of tension.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast